PDA

View Full Version : Roxie's mom here

Mistie
02-19-2018, 02:47 PM
Hello fellow squirrel lovers! I'm the proud rehabber of a sweet little gray squirrel that fell from her nest only days old in September 2016. Now that she's outside with the other squirrels, she's reproduced and due today! I haven't seen sight nor sound of her all day and I'm worried sick. I'd greatly appreciate any knowledge of the birthing habits and activities of gray squirrels.
Thanks for having a great forum.

island rehabber
02-19-2018, 03:21 PM
Oh, isn't she bee-YOO-tiful! Well from what I understand new mammas will stay in the nest almost exclusively for the first two weeks.....only leaving for a few minutes to get some water or food, but they basically live on the food they've stashed in the nest before giving birth. You may not see her at all right after she gives birth, but when the babies are 6-7 weeks old they will be popping their heads out :dance

Mistie
02-19-2018, 03:32 PM
Thank you very much for easing my mind! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for when she grabs a quick bite. Her nest is about 30 feet up in a big white oak next to my house. I can't wait to see the little ones. What is the usual first litter size?

island rehabber
02-19-2018, 04:06 PM
Thank you very much for easing my mind! I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for when she grabs a quick bite. Her nest is about 30 feet up in a big white oak next to my house. I can't wait to see the little ones. What is the usual first litter size?

I don't think there is a typical size -- greys can have 1-5 kits per litter, and rarely even 6.