PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacation, leaving my critters for 2 weeks

mikkey
01-14-2018, 11:10 PM
Hi everyone. I have a bunch of rascals who come by everyday
since I moved in 5 years ago. I have become -unfortunately- waaay too attached to them.
They have changed over the years though a few of the original bunch are still here. They wait on the ladder
for me. What will happen when I'm gone? Will they drift away? I don't have any friends who house sit or anything like that.
It's a problem getting attached to them, truly is. Too, lately I have seen a brown Hawk in the area.
That is bothering me too. It just sits and waits.
Here is my favorite little guy.
https://www.facebook.com/bruce.zoologic/videos/10213047599497074/

stepnstone
01-15-2018, 02:46 AM
Hi everyone. I have a bunch of rascals who come by everyday
since I moved in 5 years ago. I have become -unfortunately- waaay too attached to them.
They have changed over the years though a few of the original bunch are still here. They wait on the ladder
for me. What will happen when I'm gone? Will they drift away? I don't have any friends who house sit or anything like that.
It's a problem getting attached to them, truly is. Too, lately I have seen a brown Hawk in the area.
That is bothering me too. It just sits and waits.
Here is my favorite little guy.
https://www.facebook.com/bruce.zoologic/videos/10213047599497074/

They will drift around while your gone forging elsewhere but they will be back.
It's just as well without your being there with a hawk in the area the squee "buffet"
dries up for awhile and doesn't attract the hawk to the table.

Mel1959
01-15-2018, 07:06 AM
You might hang some shiny stuff up, like cd’s or toy whirligigs to dissuade the hawk from hanging around. I have also read that a large piece of wood with two large black “eyeballs” painted on it helps deter hawks. Others have found encouraging crows to come to your property by feeding the dog kibble can also dissuade the hawk.

I really don’t like hawks much at all!:eek

mikkey
01-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys! I'm leaving in March and I'm nervous even today.

I mean they wont be hungry by any stretch! They are wild . Too, they have stashed away
so much that even the Blue Jays will be stuffed!

I'm in a very urban though desolate industrial area so the trees especially by Seattle standards are
slim to none so I hope they wont forget where I live.

As far as the Hawk, the boys ( and one gal) don't seem disturbed by it. Despite being naturally skittish by sounds and
perceived threats the Hawk doesn't seem to scare them. Strange

mikkey
01-19-2018, 06:44 PM
Unfortunately problem solved. My landlord is selling the house. Breaks my heart to have to say goodbye to them for good.

I've interacted with them everyday for 5 years, this is tougher than I thought. I teared up at the grocery store

going by the peanut section. I'm moving to a rental condo in downtown Seattle, no squirrels there.

That's what happens when you can't control your destiny.

HRT4SQRLS
01-19-2018, 08:10 PM
Sorry to hear that mikkey. Your friends will adapt to the new 'norm'.
Even though we feed them, we can't really take their survival instincts
from them with handouts. If necessary they will disperse. Everything they need to survive is provided by nature.

Maybe one day when you have more control of your destiny you will have a yard of your own that's full of furry friends. :grouphug

mikkey
01-19-2018, 10:44 PM
Sorry to hear that mikkey. Your friends will adapt to the new 'norm'.
Even though we feed them, we can't really take their survival instincts
from them with handouts. If necessary they will disperse. Everything they need to survive is provided by nature.

Maybe one day when you have more control of your destiny you will have a yard of your own that's full of furry friends. :grouphug

I know they will survive. It's just that I am going to miss them a ton.
If I have a yard of my own it will never be the same so I will never have one.