PDA

View Full Version : Squirrels and ice cubes

sparkysmom
05-06-2006, 07:09 PM
We have made a discovery today. Sparky loves ice cubes!!! He has been stealing the ice cubes from my drink . As soon as he get finished eating it he runs back and gets another one.

Momma Squirrel
05-06-2006, 07:17 PM
Never heard of that one, you gotta get a picture. Chipper never really liked anything super cold, prefered it to be room temp.

sparkysmom
05-06-2006, 07:20 PM
I couldn't believe it either. He is so cute, he will run up get all in my glass, grab an ice cube and take off.

CliffordandDaisy'sDad
05-06-2006, 08:35 PM
LOL

Clifford loves ice cubes too! but not Daisy, she doesn't care for them.

Does Sparky shake his hands when they get too cold too?

sage1970
05-06-2006, 08:46 PM
That sounds toooo cute!!! Pics are a must! :crazy

My dogs go nuts when we get ice out....we always manage to "accidently" drop some for them. :rolleyes:

Squirrelly
05-06-2006, 09:52 PM
:crazy Can't wait to see those pictures! :wahoo

Squerly
05-07-2006, 03:31 AM
I couldn't believe it either. He is so cute, he will run up get all in my glass, grab an ice cube and take off.It's not the ice he's after, it's the scotch.

sparkysmom
05-07-2006, 07:41 AM
Hummmmmm ya think? Maybe thats why he went to bed early and didn't terrorize the neighborhood???:rockin

Timber
05-26-2006, 01:08 PM
My Timber loves Ice cubes also. He hates getting his whiskers wet. He will not drink anything out of a bowel, cup, what ever if it means getting his whiskers wet but let me be drinking something with Ice in it and he will risk getting them wet to snatch a cube. He also like popcicles and frozen fruit. In fact he won't eat fresh fruit unless I freeze it first. And I even have to freeze moths for him. He loves Moths but he can't stand it if they flap their wings on his whiskers so I have to freeze them before he will eat them. By the way, most people just assume that squirrels only eat nuts, berries, fruits and veggies but they also like insects. Moths, butterflies,and some insects are a good sorce of protine for them. And yes they do catch bugs in the wild. They also raid bird nest and eat bird eggs.

rygel1hardt
05-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Hey Pam my squirrels (one grey and two flyers) get wax worms from the bait shop and love them, between the three squirrels I go through a box of twentyfive a week.
Stacey

My Timber loves Ice cubes also. He hates getting his whiskers wet. He will not drink anything out of a bowel, cup, what ever if it means getting his whiskers wet but let me be drinking something with Ice in it and he will risk getting them wet to snatch a cube. He also like popcicles and frozen fruit. In fact he won't eat fresh fruit unless I freeze it first. And I even have to freeze moths for him. He loves Moths but he can't stand it if they flap their wings on his whiskers so I have to freeze them before he will eat them. By the way, most people just assume that squirrels only eat nuts, berries, fruits and veggies but they also like insects. Moths, butterflies,and some insects are a good sorce of protine for them. And yes they do catch bugs in the wild. They also raid bird nest and eat bird eggs.

xoxkayxox
07-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Hi,
My chipmunks love ice cubes, i fill the ice cube tray will fuit, nuts and seeds and add water and make ice cubes with food its especially good in the hot weather, Kay

island rehabber
07-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi,
My chipmunks love ice cubes, i fill the ice cube tray will fuit, nuts and seeds and add water and make ice cubes with food its especially good in the hot weather, Kay

Excellent idea!!! Thanks Kay! :goodpost

Mrs. Jack
07-14-2006, 09:54 AM
I'd love to see pics too, the image is wonderful. Of Mr. Pickywhiskers bobbing for cubes too.

I've been wondering about putting cubes in the water features on hot days.. maybe I'll give it a go.

Mrs. Jack
07-16-2006, 10:05 AM
I will now plead for pictures of squirrels eating/playing with ice cubes. ;)

xoxkayxox
07-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Ok, Plead no more. Heres my chipmunk, Max eating her ice cube(with sunflower seeds and nuts inside). enjoy...

Mrs. Jack
07-16-2006, 04:03 PM
:goodpost thankyou!! that is so cute, she is really going at that cube. I've seen polar bears and tigers play with a giant ice cube with frozen fish in the middle, just gnawing at it with their big teeth, and this is like a tiny version!

Mrs. Jack
07-16-2006, 09:14 PM
A squirrel with a swimming pool is worth an E ticket definitely. Might I add, that is one lucky and spoiled squirrel!!

Timber
07-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Mrs. J., You said a mouth full! As spoiled as my Timber is, he has nothing on Chance. However, you will have a hard time convencing Chance that she is a squirrel. She just thinks that she is some little person with some kind of hormone problem that has stunted her growth, caused emense hair growth and some kind of furry growth on her butt. Other wise she's just human!:wahoo :rolf :rofl4 :rotfl :jump

Mrs. Jack
07-16-2006, 11:03 PM
Holy moly!! (I did actually say that out loud). However, I understand it because I keep thinking of things that Meggie Mouse might enjoy, I keep picturing her in a little car like Stuart Little, and pretty soon she will probably need a room of her own too. :crazy

island rehabber
07-17-2006, 06:30 AM
These pics are too cute!! As for toys for Meggie, I know mice love anything tubular. We rescued a field mouse from a glue trap one winter and kept her until spring, when we released her in the park. She loved paper towel tubes, toilet paper tubes, anything tubular! Her name? Tubie, of course. :)

Mrs. Jack
07-17-2006, 07:42 AM
Chance in the race car has me singing "go speed racer, go!" The other day I saw a couple walking and they had their little dog in a stroller. That dog has nothing on Chance.

Meggie does love tubes. anything where she can go in one way and surprise me by popping out another way seems to be a big hit. And she spent quite a bit of time staring into the castle's mirror "who's the fairest of them all?"

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
08-07-2006, 07:09 AM
When my babies were inside they loved ice also.
When I put fresh wtarer outside I load it with ice, hoping they find it before it melts!

SquirrelyGuy
01-13-2007, 08:58 PM
Eating Ice is fun. they taste good and keep you cool on a hot summers day.
until you get the inevitable brain freeze.lol :hissyfit< DAAAAAHHH!
I can just imagine what must have been going through Sparky's mind upon discovering the ice cubes. I think it would go somthing like this:
"ooh! what's this? ooh it tastes shiny. IT"S MINE! I FOUND IT! No one elts can have it cause it's MINE! "
(quoted by: Hammy squirrel from the movie Over the hedge)note my Avatar.:D