PDA

View Full Version : Help! Young squirrel with poop problems:(

DorasMom
11-04-2017, 12:58 PM
Does anyone know of any vets in central Florida that can test my little Doras poop to see if she has parasites? She's been having issues pooping for some time now I thought it was getting better but today I see signs of blood on her butt:( please help if you know of any vets.

cava
11-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Hi there and welcome. Wanna give us an idea of where you live in Florida so someone who has a vet near you can chime in?

What's going on with Dora? Can you give a history on her poop problems?

DorasMom
11-04-2017, 08:54 PM
Hi there and welcome. Wanna give us an idea of where you live in Florida so someone who has a vet near you can chime in?

What's going on with Dora? Can you give a history on her poop problems?

I took Dora in a couple months ago after hurricane irma. She was doing great for a month learning to jump and get a real feel for what she is but about a month in I heard a terrible scream from her. Came upon the squirrel board and realized the sun issue.changed a few things gave her special bulbs so she has sun inside. She started getting better immediately. A week later she was back at it 100% made a new nest. Than she started having issues pooping. She would tense up and do a little grunt so I assumed she's now constipated. My fault I think I was giving her formula after I read the MBD issues. I stopped with formula got her proper blocks from Henry's thanks to the wonderful people there:) but she's still got a slight poop issue. Still a little runny and this morning I noticed blood on her butt:( I think she's rubbing it when she try's to poop or wipe herself from the runny stuff. Afraid she has a parasite that she needs meds for. I'm in Ocoee pretty much Orlando Florida and I will make quite the drive to help this girl feel 100%. She's so happy but I don't know how with the poop problem. Thank you so much for any help.

Grinderhead
11-04-2017, 09:20 PM
There is a Great vet around 60 miles from you.
Dr Emerson, Ravenwood Vet Clinic in Port Orange. 386-788-1550
Just to check what is her diet like? How old is she?

DorasMom
11-05-2017, 09:17 AM
There is a Great vet around 60 miles from you.
Dr Emerson, Ravenwood Vet Clinic in Port Orange. 386-788-1550
Just to check what is her diet like? How old is she?

I'm not honestly sure how old she is. She was full fur when I found her and 3 furless babies. I'd say she's about 3-4 months from how long I've had her to when they get full fur. She's strictly on Henry's protein blocks and Henry's wild bites.she has water at all times to get anytime she wants. I'm gonna get her a couple fruits or veggies again today. I stopped them when she had her MBD problem. I will absolutely check into ravewood it wouldn't be to bad a drive. I also know of one in clermont neither of which is open till Monday. She doesn't appear to have blood on her bum today and she's putting out a little smaller poops.:)

DorasMom
11-05-2017, 09:32 AM
I'm not honestly sure how old she is. She was full fur when I found her and 3 furless babies. I'd say she's about 3-4 months from how long I've had her to when they get full fur. She's strictly on Henry's protein blocks and Henry's wild bites.she has water at all times to get anytime she wants. I'm gonna get her a couple fruits or veggies again today. I stopped them when she had her MBD problem. I will absolutely check into ravewood it wouldn't be to bad a drive. I also know of one in clermont neither of which is open till Monday. She doesn't appear to have blood on her bum today and she's putting out a little smaller poops.:)

295758295759295761 The top two photos were the day after the hurricane and the bottom one is her today:)

stepnstone
11-05-2017, 10:05 AM
I'm not honestly sure how old she is. She was full fur when I found her and 3 furless babies. I'd say she's about 3-4 months from how long I've had her to when they get full fur.
She's strictly on Henry's protein blocks and Henry's wild bites.she has water at all times to get anytime she wants.
I'm gonna get her a couple fruits or veggies again today. I stopped them when she had her MBD problem. I will absolutely check into ravewood it wouldn't be to bad a drive. I also know of one in clermont neither of which is open till Monday. She doesn't appear to have blood on her bum today and she's putting out a little smaller poops.:)

She definitely needs the veggies, her system needs the fiber. Once the stomach breaks down what is consumed the small intestine absorbs most of the nutrients into the bloodstream. The rest passes undigested to the large intestine and eventually out of the body as waste. The ease with which your large intestine releases this waste largely depends on what has been eaten and or drinking.
Hard and or dry stools usually occur because waste is moving too slow through the large intestine which allows water to be pulled from the stool. The presence of fiber (in vegetables) can increase "transit" time drawing water into the colon that results in stools that are easier to pass.

Even though this is past point I'm not really sure I understand what you have written here:
"My fault I think I was giving her formula after I read the MBD issues. I stopped with formula got her proper blocks from Henry's thanks to the wonderful people there:) but she's still got a slight poop issue.
Why would you have stopped the formula if she was still taking it? If it was the proper formula it is your first assurance against MBD, their eating a good quality rodent block is the second assurance.

DorasMom
11-05-2017, 10:14 AM
She definitely needs the veggies, her system needs the fiber. Once the stomach breaks down what is consumed the small intestine absorbs most of the nutrients into the bloodstream. The rest passes undigested to the large intestine and eventually out of the body as waste. The ease with which your large intestine releases this waste largely depends on what has been eaten and or drinking.
Hard and or dry stools usually occur because waste is moving too slow through the large intestine which allows water to be pulled from the stool. The presence of fiber (in vegetables) can increase "transit" time drawing water into the colon that results in stools that are easier to pass.

Even though this is past point I'm not really sure I understand what you have written here:
"My fault I think I was giving her formula after I read the MBD issues. I stopped with formula got her proper blocks from Henry's thanks to the wonderful people there:) but she's still got a slight poop issue.
Why would you have stopped the formula if she was still taking it? If it was the proper formula it is your first assurance against MBD, their eating a good quality rodent block is the second assurance.

I gave her some formula after her MBD attack thinking it would help boost her back. I think it constipated her shortly after. I'll definitely be getting her veggies again today she loved tomatoes and carrots.

stepnstone
11-05-2017, 10:38 AM
I gave her some formula after her MBD attack thinking it would help boost her back. I think it constipated her shortly after. I'll definitely be getting her veggies again today she loved tomatoes and carrots.
What was the formula you had been feeding her?

If mine I think I would go for the greens. Broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and definitely snap peas. :great
Allowing her fruit as a treat will also aid in water to the colon.
Not sure if you've seen the link to the healthy diet so I'm attaching it so you can see the healthy variety you can offer her.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

DorasMom
11-05-2017, 10:53 AM
What was the formula you had been feeding her?

If mine I think I would go for the greens. Broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts and definitely snap peas. :great
Allowing her fruit as a treat will also aid in water to the colon.
Not sure if you've seen the link to the healthy diet so I'm attaching it so you can see the healthy variety you can offer her.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

I did see the pyramid. I was giving her fruits and veggies. I thought she would like snap peas surprisingly she wouldn't touch them. I was giving her esbilic puppy milk powdered. She loved it but wouldn't drink water or pedialite anymore. Even if she clears up completely I may just take her to a local vet anyways for a full check up:) make sure she's ready to go out when she's ready. She's certainly gaining the skills. Such a sweetheart

Diggie's Friend
11-05-2017, 12:53 PM
Central Fl east or west coast, or somewhere inbetween?

Mel1959
11-06-2017, 07:41 AM

There are not enough calories in HHBs alone to maintain health and growth. She has to have some other block or at least an assortment of veggies, preferably some with high nutrient content like Stepnstone mentioned. Continue to offer her formula from a bowl. I’ve had them taking formula up until the day of release.

Dr. Emerson, at Ravenwood, routinely treats squirrels. I would check to be sure the vet in Clermont does.