PDA

View Full Version : Mother sighted

ed10463
07-24-2007, 03:19 PM
Took 2 babies in yesterday, drey had fallen during storm into street. They seem to be ok and are resting well in a warm box and getting formula.

Today, I saw the mother, and I'm not sure what to do. She dosen't have a nest anymore, and she hasn't been with the babies for 24 hours already, so I'm afraid she'd dry up soon.

Can I rig a temp nest for them? The babies are adorabe, and I want to do the best for them.

Thanks,
- Ed

island rehabber
07-24-2007, 03:24 PM
Took 2 babies in yesterday, drey had fallen during storm into street. They seem to be ok and are resting well in a warm box and getting formula.

Today, I saw the mother, and I'm not sure what to do. She dosen't have a nest anymore, and she hasn't been with the babies for 24 hours already, so I'm afraid she'd dry up soon.

Can I rig a temp nest for them? The babies are adorabe, and I want to do the best for them.

Thanks,
- Ed

Hi Ed from the Bronx!! It's IR in 10464. Can you take any part of the drey -- even a few twigs and leaves, and put it in a shallow box with the babies and put them out where the mom can see them? She will definitely come down if she smells or hears them, let alone actually seees them....it's really worth a try because they are better off with her than any of us well-meaning humans :).

Apple Corps
07-24-2007, 03:33 PM
IR - would you put the parts of the drey in a box and place the box snugly back up in the same tree? Might that help Momma be more at home??

Mars
07-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Momma squirrels have more than one nest site. If you can get reunion it would be the best solution. Good luck!.

ed10463
07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Hi Ed from the Bronx!! It's IR in 10464. Can you take any part of the drey -- even a few twigs and leaves, and put it in a shallow box with the babies and put them out where the mom can see them? She will definitely come down if she smells or hears them, let alone actually seees them....it's really worth a try because they are better off with her than any of us well-meaning humans :).

Yes I have part of the drey. The mom's a young girl herself. Can she fend for herself and her babies without a nest? I have been feeding them almonds and filberts since last winter.

Thanks for the quick reply!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-24-2007, 03:39 PM
More chances than not she already has another nest built someplace that she can move them to.....keeping my fingers crossed...I bet mom will see & hear them..shes looking for her babes bless her heart! If she comes and takes them watch to see where she moves them to?
Also watch the box as she moves them one by one. Glad you were there to help rescue!

ed10463
07-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks everyone. I can put a box in a tree crotch about 10 feet up. Worried like crazy about all the cats around here.

Thanks again,

- Ed

susanw
07-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Have you noticed momma yet comming around? Squirrels have more than one nest, so here's crossing my fingers that she takes them! If she doesn't take them by nightfall, I think I would bring them in for the night and contact a rehabber.:wave123

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-24-2007, 04:09 PM
Sit back hidden and watch for Mom to come...if mom dosent come in a few hours bring them in for the night....Put them back out tomorrow once again hiding and watching!:thumbsup

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Ed what is the status of the babies right now?:hyper

ed10463
07-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Don't think the mom has been around, I've been in and out, so maybe...

Will check the box towards night fall. The little babies don't have a chance around here at night with the raccoons and cats.

They are overdue for a feeding.

Worried,

- Ed

LynninIN
07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Give the mom a little longer, the squirrels ae active another hour this time of the year. If the babies are hungry they are more likely to cry for their mom.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
OH PLEASE feed them now try again tomorrow, do not leave them out over night squirrels do not move at night.
Just bring them in now, you are doing a great job!
2 things to consider are they getting dehydrated and how long have they been without their heating pad?

LynninIN
07-24-2007, 06:07 PM
Well, we just confused you by giving you two different opinions. I agree that they should not be left out overnight and need to be fed. I was just thinking the mother could be given a little more time (a hour) before giving up for the night.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-24-2007, 06:08 PM
Lynn thats fine I am just worried about them becoming dehydrated and hungry but you are right they may cry.

Apple Corps
07-24-2007, 06:09 PM
ed - do you know about feeding and caring for the babies? How big are they? There are several must do things but plenty of experts here to help you. Keep them warm, in a dark box with some shredded paper towels for them to bury in. Pedialyte and Esbilac puppy milk replacement for hydration and nourishment - available at the drugstore or grocery store. A big issue is to not feed them too much too fast - they may aspirate the liquid into their lungs and that is a problem.

Also - rehabber experts are at hand in the BRONX - maybe very close :wave123

WELCOME and do ask questions now - plenty of help your way.

Also - DO bring them in tonight for certain.

ravenlaws32
07-24-2007, 06:45 PM
ed let us know with some updates, like stated you are doing great, hopefully momma will come around and get them ,if not the iti s your turn to be momma, also what are the night temps in your area?? i would not leave them out all night alone , but leave out until late if you can and see , and then take them in and feed and try tomorrow. keep up the good work and god bless

ed10463
07-24-2007, 06:51 PM
ed - do you know about feeding and caring for the babies? How big are they? There are several must do things but plenty of experts here to help you. Keep them warm, in a dark box with some shredded paper towels for them to bury in. Pedialyte and Esbilac puppy milk replacement for hydration and nourishment - available at the drugstore or grocery store. A big issue is to not feed them too much too fast - they may aspirate the liquid into their lungs and that is a problem.

Also - rehabber experts are at hand in the BRONX - maybe very close :wave123

WELCOME and do ask questions now - plenty of help your way.

Also - DO bring them in tonight for certain.

Yes, they had Pedialyte at first and now are on a diluted Esbilac formula and have been sucking it up every 2-3 hours around the clock. I've rescued baby gerbils and understand the work involved.

drakkonia
07-24-2007, 06:55 PM
Welcome! Glad to hear your babies are doing ok, and that you've sighted mom! Good luck trying to reunite the family. Please keep us posted!

Apple Corps
07-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Ed - GREAT :jump :jump :jump

ed10463
07-24-2007, 07:32 PM
Babies back in a warm box, and just sucked up some dilute esbilac. I'll try again tomorrow, but it is sure nerve racking.

Thanks All,

- Ed

Kathy56
07-24-2007, 09:19 PM
Best of luck. :thankyou :grouphug

island rehabber
07-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Just to let folks know, Ed is one zip code away from me and I'm here to help if he needs me....he's got my cell phone. :)

Momma Squirrel
07-25-2007, 09:08 AM
Any news on the babies this morning, how did they do last night?

How you holding up Ed?

Farani
07-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I didn't read the whole thread, but I thought I'd just toss up some info I picked up recently:

On average squirrels have 3 active nests that they use. Mothers, especially, have more than one active nest. Some squirrels have been observed to make up to 10 nests a year!

ed10463
07-25-2007, 11:07 AM
Any news on the babies this morning, how did they do last night?

The babies seem to be doing fine. I've been giving them small frequent feedings which they seem to like. Each time I make the esbilac formula a little stronger. They get their bottoms massaged with a warm damp cotton ball and have been pooping a little. Not much vocalizing, so I figure they're pretty contented.

No sign of the mother, if I see her I'll put them out again. It's scary cause between the four houses here there are at least 20 inside/outside cats prowling around.

Thanks to everyone for all the concern and information.

- Ed

susanw
07-25-2007, 03:50 PM
Mom might not come down if there are cats around. I just wanted to add that the formula is very sticky and if it is on their faces or body, take a damp paper towel and wipe it off. If left on, they may loose their hair in that area.

IR, I know you are close by so they will be in good hands with your guidance!

island rehabber
07-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Mom might not come down if there are cats around. I just wanted to add that the formula is very sticky and if it is on their faces or body, take a damp paper towel and wipe it off. If left on, they may loose their hair in that area.

IR, I know you are close by so they will be in good hands with your guidance!

Boy, it sounds like Ed's area of da Bronx is as feral-cat crazy as my area, which is why I can't release my squirrels here. Poor Bronx squirrellies, they don't have a chance out there! :madd

Apple Corps
07-25-2007, 08:29 PM
HAVAHART traps work wonders - inexpensive - highly effective - legal and cleared my area out w/i 3 weeks. Cats to the trap and then to the pound for disposition.