PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

GYMSQUIRREL
10-25-2017, 02:06 PM
My wife and own and run a gym. We have no desire to have children and are avid animal(They are our kids!!) lovers with dogs, cats, a Macaw and now Oakley who we found this past April fallen out of a tree at 3 weeks old. She was on the verge of death so we educated ourselves and rehabbed her to the point at which we have rehabbed her and would have let her go would mean she is to domesticated and therefore we have taken her permanently. She has an incredible home in one of our old huge Old Mcaw cages with plenty of room, tons of cat stands she loves to play on, and overall have just fallen in love with her.

LR
10-25-2017, 03:03 PM
Welcome to TSB !! You'll find lots of other people that love squirrels here and if you need help or have questions please ask. Someone will always have an opinion or an answer. Some times lots of them!😁

cava
10-25-2017, 03:42 PM
Welcome! There is so much information and so many knowledgeable people here. I look forward to seeing a photo of your baby...not just one paw. :grin2

Scott
10-25-2017, 07:27 PM
Hi Gym...

You are finally home with TSB. I'm a new member of the family, but anything-squirrely, you're in the right place.

My friend here, is wanting to answer the most important question, since you are joining a "squirrel family group" ..
pictures are mandatory, of your boss :secret

GYMSQUIRREL
10-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Welcome! There is so much information and so many knowledgeable people here. I look forward to seeing a photo of your baby...not just one paw. :grin2

Thanks for the welcome from you all! Thats her in my avatar! But here she is doing one of her favorite things lounging on top of her house!

Scott
10-25-2017, 08:54 PM
Cool house ..

LR
10-25-2017, 09:16 PM
Oakley's a beautiful squirrel girl. Thanks for the picture. Just remember - the more of them we get to see the more we're going to want to see....kids are so addicting.

dextersmom
10-25-2017, 09:59 PM
Hello. Congratulations on your new addition to your family! I own many animals,and there is nothing like being a parent to a squirrel. They are so loving,mischievous in such an adorable way. They follow you from room to room,climbing up to your shoulder. You look into their eyes and see the trust and love they have for you,and because of that you just fall head over heels in love with them! You found the right site to help you threw your parenting. Please ask every question,concern you may have. A squirrel if not fed properly,or lack of sunlight, can act normal one day and very sick the next. You must be diligent raising a squirrel. You will learn everything right here in this forum,May you have many,many happy,and healthy years with your new companion! Welcome and enjoy your new baby!!

gunpackingrandma
10-25-2017, 10:41 PM
Welcome!!! You have a real beautiful girl and such a wonderful cage setup! Looks like she is extremely happy in her home...:serene

Slinky
10-26-2017, 12:07 PM
:Welcome to TSB

cava
10-26-2017, 01:08 PM
She's beautiful!

island rehabber
10-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Welcome to TSB, Gymsquirrel. She is a beautiful squirrel and looks very healthy. Now I gotta do my admin routine:

(deeeep breath) *ahem*
DIET is not just Job One with captive squirrels. DIET is Job one through ten, at least. A poor diet will cripple and kill a squirrel, sometimes by its 7th month and sometimes not until its tenth year, but it will happen. Calcium is almost as important as oxygen! Visit our Nutrition Forum and memorize the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels because on Friday there is a quiz ! (Just kidding...you don't have to memorize it. :grin3) Just take it very very seriously.

Most of us here will tell you in a heartbeat that we adore squirrels more than life itself but....they do not make good pets. Be prepared for destruction, biting, territorial issues, peeing and pooping everywhere, and curtailed vacations because nobody can interact with them except you. If you're smart you will never give your baby nuts outside of her cage. She should never be allowed to believe that the entire home is her "nest", and that she can cache her treasures everywhere. This will lead to aggression and heartache, trust me.

Wherever you are in the midwest, try to find a squirrel-friendly vet. In the moment you need one is not the time to find one. Most vets don't treat wildlife; you'll need a special one.

Hang out here and you'll learn and laugh a whole lot! And remember, we LOVE pix!

GYMSQUIRREL
10-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Welcome to TSB, Gymsquirrel. She is a beautiful squirrel and looks very healthy. Now I gotta do my admin routine:

(deeeep breath) *ahem*
DIET is not just Job One with captive squirrels. DIET is Job one through ten, at least. A poor diet will cripple and kill a squirrel, sometimes by its 7th month and sometimes not until its tenth year, but it will happen. Calcium is almost as important as oxygen! Visit our Nutrition Forum and memorize the Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels because on Friday there is a quiz ! (Just kidding...you don't have to memorize it. :grin3) Just take it very very seriously.

Most of us here will tell you in a heartbeat that we adore squirrels more than life itself but....they do not make good pets. Be prepared for destruction, biting, territorial issues, peeing and pooping everywhere, and curtailed vacations because nobody can interact with them except you. If you're smart you will never give your baby nuts outside of her cage. She should never be allowed to believe that the entire home is her "nest", and that she can cache her treasures everywhere. This will lead to aggression and heartache, trust me.

Wherever you are in the midwest, try to find a squirrel-friendly vet. In the moment you need one is not the time to find one. Most vets don't treat wildlife; you'll need a special one.

Hang out here and you'll learn and laugh a whole lot! And remember, we LOVE pix!

I appreciate the welcome and the “admin routine” as It just makes me feel more at home with a great place! We knew this was gonna be a job as much as a love. Oakley had a dedicated spot that is her home andwhere she eats(gets treats).
My biggest concern has been minerals and calcim/Vit D so she has a mineral wheel as well as Calc/Vit fortified food and supps from Exotic Nutrition, we also do veggie mixes and of course some “treat” type food. I had posted in the non life threatening forum as she has had an issue with her appendage/claw but we are very fortunate to have a vet who is willing to work with us! We have gotten used to “cleaning” lol and a vaccum of destruction(if not carefull). Because they are such “cute and cuddly” little ones we have taken all measures we can to be aware of what she needs however I am constantly looking up info to make sure what we are doing is right and as I said its very appreciated to get a schpeel!
And pics are no problem! Glad to be here!

cava
10-27-2017, 06:41 AM
I see you're shopping at Exotic Nutrition for food and supplements. There may be an easier way to feed all of that at once. What are you feeding her from there?

Scott
10-28-2017, 12:16 AM
"Cute and Cuddley ....

All squirrels are that .....

,..,,... until they tell you, they are unhappy ..."

GYMSQUIRREL
10-29-2017, 10:24 AM
"Cute and Cuddley ....

All squirrels are that .....

,..,,... until they tell you, they are unhappy ..."

Kinda like a wife!!!! 😜😁😁

Nancy in New York