PDA

View Full Version : Yogurt...to give or not to give

Shirley beanen
10-08-2017, 09:21 PM
Does anyone ever give their fur babies yogurt????? If so what do you use ???and what do you recommend????? Or is it NOT a good idea ??????

cava
10-08-2017, 09:43 PM
You can give a bit of full fat vanilla yogurt for a treat. Nothing low fat or with artificial sweeteners. Yobaby is what I'm using in my formula for my teeny tinies. It's really tasty, I tried it and they seem go dig it:blowkiss.

HRT4SQRLS
10-08-2017, 09:54 PM
I have also used the Yobaby added to formula. I have 6 that are approximately 8 weeks old. I give them a bowl of Stoneyfield (organic whole milk French vanilla) yogurt every day. They LOVE it but it is sorta messy. The bowl I use is small across and about an inch deep to prevent them from swimming in it. :grin2

Diggie's Friend
10-09-2017, 01:27 AM
I would love to see a video of them gong at the yogurt in the bowl! :w00t It woudl be so cute to make them each baby bibs.

Great stuff the Creamy formula Stonyfield carries, as it includes probiotics. As for the soy source, though I admit that the soy products have their plus side, the goitrogen compounds soy contains was found in rat research to lower the function of the parathyroid gland, which is responsble for supporting the production of the hormone that stimuates the production of D3 by the kidneys, which plays a key role in supporting the uptake of calcium and other minerals into the bloodstream. For though other goitrogen forms were found to be offset by additional iodine added to the diet, thiorea the one in soy was found to be resistant to iodine replacement therapy. The impairment to the parathyroid that this source causes can be reversed though by just discontinuing feeding it.

LR
10-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Remember that broccoli, cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, cabbage,bok choy,etc. Are all considered goitrogenic foods also.

I'm going to try Ruby with the yogurt. She is almost 9 weeks old and already refusing formula most of the time. This would be an excellent additional supplement to her diet. Thank you for the discussion on it!

Rexie
10-09-2017, 06:51 PM
my son loves Greek gods full yogert vanilla with some coconut oil mixed in. he gets a teaspoon full about 3 times a week. I love the way it sounds when he is licking his yummys

Diggie's Friend
10-09-2017, 07:31 PM
The list of goitrogenic leafy and stalked food is a long one. For short-term use in support of juvenile squirrel diets, Bok Choy, Pok Choy, Japanese Mustard Spinach, amongst Asian cabbage sources, are good sources of calcium, as they do not cause demineralization of other foods they have been ingested with. Though not all Brassica-cruciferous vegetables contain the resistant form of goitrogen. The goitrogen effect in these sources was found to be offset by the an additional supplement of iodine; yet Iodine is one of those minerals, which if you get it too low or too high is known to cause serious negative side effects.

A safer way to support the reduction of goitrogens in Brassica-cruciferous group and other sources, is to boil the stalked vegetables for up to 30 minutes, and steam or blanch leafy greens for 4 minutes, to disable the goitrogens. This will also significantly reduce the soluble oxalates (calcium robbing compounds) they contain if you rinse them, and not use the liquid that you boil them in. Though boiling does lower some of nutrients in these foods, they retain much of theirr calcium content after being boiled.

(see file raw vs. cooked calcium levels in broccoli)

Mustard Spinach: aka Komatsuna (belongs to the turnip family, not the spinach family)
Boiled (90% of Calcium retained after boiling)

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=8622970A-1FA2-11E3-A74D-1E047F0525AB

http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=86302C94-1FA2-11E3-A74D-1E047F0525AB

Chicory leaves, Endive, Escarole, Radicchio also contain goitrogens, yet in immature form are nil in oxalates. Blanching (short term boiling) (1 ½) minutes reduces their goitrogen content

These same plant sources, otherwise consumed raw, would result in the lowering of calcium absorption, as is explained in this quote from the below article.

Enhancing absorption of calcium from the small intestine:

Facilitating calcium absorption from the small intestine would clearly serve to elevate blood levels of calcium. Parathyroid hormone stimulates this process, but indirectly by stimulating production of the active form of vitamin D in the kidney. Vitamin D induces synthesis of a calcium-binding protein in intestinal epithelial cells that facilitates efficient absorption of calcium into blood.
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks...yroid/pth.html