PDA

View Full Version : Can I alternate Rehydration Fluid and formula.?

RobynRoberts
10-07-2017, 01:07 PM
My 5 1/2 week old baby flyer is still battling diarrhea after 2 weeks. We are 14 grams. We’ve gained 1 gram since Monday. He still eats fine and acts fine but his poor bottom is getting raw from the diarrhea. I am feeding Esbilac puppy with probiotics., diluted to a 1 part formula 3 parts water bc the 1 to 2 was making the diarrhea much worse then what it is., I’ve also added plain yogurt to the formula about 1/2 a teaspoon that seemed to help out a bit. I feed him every 3 hours with 0.65cc a feeding. Last week he crashed from hypoglycemia twice and I got him back. So to keep him from getting dehydrated from the diarrhea can I alternate formula and fluids. I’ve read some mixed feelings on it. Also I’ve had him for 2 1/2 weeks and this is my 4th flyer to raise. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

cava
10-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Are you asking if you can give hydration in place of a meal every other time? He needs nutrition in order to gain, so if you want to hydrate in between meals, yes you can do that but you shouldn't substitute a meal with hydration.

I work with Eastern Grays so I'm not sure about flyers, but may be someone could tell you if the BRAT diet is appropriate for him and if this might help increase his sugar levels a bit while firming up his poo. Has the Esbilac been the only formula you've tried with him?

RobynRoberts
10-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Thanks.! And yes I want to do it between feedings but I read on another thread that it can cause more stomach problems if the stomach isn’t empty from the last feeding do to the fluids and formula mixing. And yes this has been the best formula he has taken to. What is the BRAT diet.?

Spanky
10-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Is this the same squirrel you posted as weight 19-20grams on 10/02... and now it is 14 grams?!?! I am hoping that is a typo and he really is 24 grams since that is more in line with his age?!?!?

I would not think feeding him 3:1 dilution for an extended period is sustainable.

BART = Bananas, Apples, Rice, Toast. For squirrel we do not use toast but we use banana baby food, apple baby food, baby rice cereal.

If this has been a problem for weeks, I would strongly encourage you to order some Dia Stat which is specifically to treat diarrhea like this...
https://www.henryspets.com/dia-stat-probiotics/

Interesting that the yogurt helped, my current baby flyer around the same age is not tolerating anything at all but Esbilac (2:1). Yogurt caused diarrhea, adding some FV 20/50 caused diarrhea... I used Dia Stat to get things corrected. So I am sticking to Esbilac but normal dilution and all seems well for now.

Mel1959
10-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Did you try the goats milk formula? Sometimes a combination of goats milk formula and Esbilac is tolerated well. The goats milk formula is the easiest to digest.

BRAT stands for bananas, rice, applesauce and toast. It is used for children when they have diarrhea. For squirrels when folks refer to it for diarrhea they usually mean to add some infant rice cereal to the formula to help firm it up. Sometimes adding pumpkin can also firm up the stool. Imodium or pepto bismol can also be used, but I’m not sure about dosing for that tiny of a baby, though.

I’m sure he’s not gaining weight well because of the diarrhea and the fact that his formula is watered down. He probably needs more nutrition, but I’m definitely not the expert. I hope someone else will chime in.

The sore bottom can be coated with a small amount of desitin or neosporin. I also had good results with emu oil.

I also have never raised a flyer, so I’m not sure what is best. Please reach out to Hrt4sqrls by private message. She has raised several flyers and might be able to offer suggestions.

stepnstone
10-07-2017, 03:54 PM
I don't find the way your feeding this baby formula interesting, it just makes no sense to me.
Diluting the formula is diluting the nutrients, adding yogurt is adding fat to the formula.
The extra fat often does cause diarrhea. Baby would be better off with formula fed correctly
without any addition so it can get the needed nutritionists, obviously it don't need the extra fat.
Extra hydration is always called for whenever there is diarrhea, diarrhea causes dehydration.
I can't help but wonder if your not over hydrating??

If you are to try the partial Brat diet to help get a control on the diarrhea you need to be mixing
the formula correctly 2-1 as well as the other ingredients. No deviating from the established course.
Partial Brat diet
3 tablespoons (already) mixed formula 2-1
1/2 tsp baby rice powered cereal
1/2 tsp banana baby food.

Edit:
Thanks.! And yes I want to do it between feedings but I read on another thread that it can cause more stomach problems if the stomach isn’t empty from the last feeding do to the fluids and formula mixing. And yes this has been the best formula he has taken to. What is the BRAT diet.?
Unless this person was speaking of a baby with bloat, I'd really like to know where you read this.

RobynRoberts
10-07-2017, 05:38 PM
Sorry guys.! The last post about the squirrel being 19-20 grams was wrong. I was using a scale that was uncalibrated correctly because we use it for dogs and cats so it wasn’t meant for grams. But I bought a gram scale after and he weighs 14grams. I’m basing the age on when he opened his eyes. He opened his eyes on the 22nd. So age could be wrong.?
I didn’t think about over hydrating him., it never crossed my mind., I was to concerned about correcting the diarrhea and keeping him from going hypoglycemic
Since the last Hypoglycemic crash which was early Monday morning. He hasn’t had one since., he has gained weight., and acts bright and alert and playful.
The diarrhea got better almost solid after doing the formula the way I have but never really resolved and has suddenly gotten worse the last two days.
I’ll try moving him back over the next few feedings to the regular Esbilac formula full strength without yogurt if y’all think that will help.
And I just ordered the dia stat.!

RobynRoberts
10-08-2017, 08:30 AM
UPDATE: over the last few feedings I cut out the yogurt and slowly went back to full strength while giving a small amount of Rehydration fluids in between., and this morning our stool was soft but not full blown diarrhea. YAY.!

Spanky
10-08-2017, 08:47 AM
UPDATE: over the last few feedings I cut out the yogurt and slowly went back to full strength while giving a small amount of Rehydration fluids in between., and this morning our stool was soft but not full blown diarrhea. YAY.!

:w00t:clap:dance:thumbsup

stepnstone
10-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Good to read! You also need to keep tabs on weight and be feeding in between the 5-7% of body weight.
Overfeeding also causes diarrhea. Once stool is stable there should be no need for extra hydration.