PDA

View Full Version : Young Squirrel has a broken leg!!

chili
07-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Hi everyone, this is my first time on here and I need some help! I just found(in which I feel guilty as Hell) my cat had gotten a squirrel! after getting her away from it I noticed it has a brokrn leg, what can I do? There is nobody around here that can help. The vet will be close to $500.00 to fix it, I don't have that kind of money, if I did I would have the little one there now. I have her in a huge crate with towels and some seed and nut mixture, I have given her(?) some water with dropper, she is calming down a bit but there is another squirrel up a tree that is crying so hard! I feel so bad about this, I can't stand to see a helpless animal cry, WHAT SHOULD I DO! I hope that somebody can help me with this.
Thank you, and on behalf of my(evil) little cat, we are so sorry):

Momma Squirrel
07-21-2007, 04:38 PM
chili sit tight someone that knows more than me should be on line soon to help you the best they can. I know how bad you feel, we have alot of good people and rehabbers here that between all of them I'm sure they will be able to get your lil squirrel some help.

I will do my best to reach one right now.

4skwerlz
07-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Is it a full-grown squirrel or a baby? How old?

Secret Squirrel
07-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Chili....you need to get this baby to a rehaber quick. There is no time to wait. I'll be right back with some information for you.
Thank you for rescuing this guy from your cat.:thumbsup

muffinsquirrel
07-21-2007, 04:51 PM
Hi Chili. Since the squirrel was caught by a cat, the first thing to do is get her/him on antibiotics. Cat saliva can be deadly to squirrels. How old is the squirrel? Just a baby or an adult? Can you find a rehabber near you to take the squirrel to? Where do you live? (If you don't want to post this on the board, PM me. I'll try to find you a rehabber.) For right now, keep the squirrel warm, quiet, and alone. It is probably scared and needs some time to calm down. Is the bone sticking out of the skin, or is it just a simple break? If it's just a simple break, then the squirrel bite is the most important thing to worry about.

There will be more people here to help you shortly. For now, try to find a rehabber.

muffinsquirrel

Secret Squirrel
07-21-2007, 04:52 PM
Chili.....the squirrel needs antibiotics due to it being cat caught. The broken leg is bad too. Call all the numbers you can....you can meet these folks halfway with the squirrel it will save in the time factor. Time is key here!!! Good luck!

Canada, British Columbia..... 250-337-2021
Mary Jane Birch (director), Wildlife Rehabilitators' Network of British Columbia (http://www.wrn.bc.ca/) wrnbc@minfox.com (wrnbc@minfox.com) Wildlife Species: birds, raptors, mammals Comments: education, library, bursary, directory, networking, resources for BC wildlife professionals, workshops Canada, British Columbia..... 604-794-7383
Pam Briar, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator briars@telus.net (briars@telus.net) Wildlife Species: opossums, raccoons, squirrels Canada, British Columbia (Burnaby)..... 604-526-7275
The Wildlife Rescue Association of British Columbia wildlife@vcn.bc.ca (wildlife@vcn.bc.ca) Wildlife Species: native and migratory birds, but treat all smaller urban wildlife, both birds and mammals Canada, British Columbia (Courtenay)..... 250-337-2021
Mary Jane (maj) Birch (Rehabilitator), Mountainaire Avian Rescue Society (http://www.wingtips.org/) mars@minfox.com (mars@minfox.com) Wildlife Species: rescue of all wild birds, some mammals and marine mammals Comments: also do transport and networking Canada, British Columbia (Delta)..... 604-946-3171
Bev Dav, (director) OWL (Orphaned Wildlife) Rehabilitation Society Bevday@dccnet.com (Bevday@dccnet.com) Wildlife Species: Only, but ALL birds of prey. Eagles, hawks, falcons, and owls Specialties: 27 years Raptor experience Comments: We will accept referrals particularly for pre-release flight training for large birds Canada, British Columbia (Fort Nelson)..... 250-774-7669
Kelly McMillan, Northern C.A.R.E.S. Wildlife Rehabilitation Society Wildlife Species: raptors Canada, British Columbia (Gibsons)..... 604-886-4989
Clint and Irene Davy (operators), Gibsons Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre gwrc@sunshine.net (gwrc@sunshine.net) Wildlife Species: small mammals only, all kinds of birds Comments: experience in cleaning and rehabbing oilspill birds Canada, British Columbia (Halfmoon Bay)..... 604-885-5997
Joanne Dickeson, Sunshine Coast Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre Canada, British Columbia (Langley)..... 604-530-2064
Gail Martin (Founder/Executive Director), Critter Care Wildlife Society Wildlife Species: specialize in raccoons, but take all of urban native mammal (only) species SPECIALTIES and KNOWLEDGE: Raccoons, squirrels etc. Canada, British Columbia (New Westminster)..... 604-540-2272
Roberta Sushnyk, management, HomeFinders Turtle Rescue Canada (http://www.angelfire.com/trek/turtlerescue/) support@homefinders.zzn.com (support@homefinders.zzn.com) Wildlife Species: turtles and small mammals Canada, British Columbia, North Central region (Prince George)..... 250-962-0015
Rachel Morey (director), Northern Wildlife Rescue (http://www.northernwildliferescue.com/) rachel@northernwildliferescue.com (rachel@northernwildliferescue.com) Wildlife Species: we take all native wildlife under 80lbs (temporary cage limits) Canada, British Columbia, Northwest region (Prince Rupert)..... 250-624-4143
Gunther and Nancy Golinia (owner/manager), Prince Rupert Wildlife Rehab Shelter (http://www.citytel.net/wildlife) wildlife@citytel.net (wildlife@citytel.net) Wildlife Species: all Specialties/Knowledge: deer, eagles, songbirds, wildlife rescue Canada, British Columbia (Prince George)..... 250-962-0015
Rachel Morey (treasurer, public relations, volunteer), Northern Raptor Preservation Society nor-rap@home.com (nor-rap@home.com) Wildlife Species: small mammals and raptors Canada, British Columbia (Prince Rupert)..... 250-624-4143
Nancy and Gunther Golinia Prince Rupert Wildlife Rehab Shelter (http://www.citytel.net/wildlife) wildlife@citytel.net (wildlife@citytel.net) Wildlife Species: all species (Eagles, owls, deer, heron, ducks, songbirds, etc.) Specialty: raising deer fawns Canada, British Columbia, Southwest region, British Columbia County (Abbotsford).....
604-852-9173
Elizabeth Melick (Executive director/Founder), Elizabeth's Wildlife Center Society (http://www.elizabethswildlifecenter.org/) Wildlife Species: all wild birds and small mammals e.g. cottontails, snowshoe hares, squirrels, opossums Canada, British Columbia, Southwest region, Sunshine Coast (Gibsons)..... 604-886-4989
Clint and Irene Davy (owner/operators), Gibsons Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre gwrc@sunshine.net (gwrc@sunshine.net) Wildlife Species: small mammals, all species of birds Limitations: no large mammals Specialty: oil spills Comments: have operated a wildlife rehabilitation centre for over 20 years Canada, British Columbia, Southwest region (Surrey)..... 604-882-0908
Val Donovan (volunteer coordinator), Monika's Wildlife Shelter monika_frank@telus.net (monika_frank@telus.net) Wildlife Species: all species of native wildlife Specialties/Knowledge: raptors, swans, and deer Comments: over 4,000 admissions anually Canada, British Columbia, Southwest region, Vancouver..... 604-258-7325
Marine Mammal Rescue (http://www.vanaqua.org/mmrr), Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre Wildlife Species: marine mammals Canada, British Columbia, Southwest region, Vancouver Island (Nanaimo)..... 250-616-8888
Lorinne Anderson (owner), Second Chance Wildlife Centre (http://www.geocities.com/coonladylori/index.html) scwc@island.net (scwc@island.net) Wildlife Species: raccoons, squirrels, cottontails, and other small mammals are kept on site; all others are rescued, triaged, and transported to other facilities Limitations: MUST be wildlife; do not currently accept large carnivores (bear, cougar, etc.) Specialties/Knowledge: raccoons; dealing with "problem wildlife" Canada, British Columbia, Southwest region, Victoria..... 250-478-9453
BC SPCA Wild ARC - Wild Animal Rehabilitation Centre (http://www.wildarc.com/) info@wildarc.com (info@wildarc.com) Wildlife Species: All small and medium sized birds and mammals Canada, British Columbia, Tofino..... 250-725-3783
Rory Paterson, Rory's Refuge Wild Bird Rehabilitation Centre Wildlife Species: seabirds Canada, Manitoba, Glenlea..... 204-883-2122
Manitoba Wildlife Rehabilitation Organization Canada, New Brunswick, Moncton..... 506-386-6091
Shirley Dingley, Moncton SPCA Wildlife Species: birds only Canada, New Brunswick, Riverview..... 506-386-7919
Amy McKay, Moncton SPCA wemamy@nbnet.nb.ca (wemamy@nbnet.nb.ca) Wildlife Species: birds and small mammals only Canada, New Brunswick, Sackville..... 506-364-1902
Pam Novak, Maritime Atlantic Wildlife novakp@nbnet.nb.ca (novakp@nbnet.nb.ca) Wildlife Species: knowledge of all indigenous species Canada, Nova Scotia, Colchester county (Hilden)..... 902 893-0253 or 902-883-9463
Helene Van Doninck, DMV, Cobequid Wildlife Rehabilitation Center

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 06:01 PM
Chili - CALL Dr. XXX at xxx.xxx.xxxx - that is the emergency answering service - give them your phone number and the Dr. will return your call. He is expecting a hurt fuzzer.

Edited by Squerly at 9:15 on Monday, 7/23/2007

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Chili - the cost will NOT be anywhere $500 - we'll figure out how to get some $$$ help for you.

Call Quickly!!!!!!

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 06:12 PM
OK rehabbers - I'm working with a vet in BC - has not treated fuzzers but willing to help.

What is the preferred antibiotic and dosage for fuzzers with a cat bite???

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 06:46 PM
Baytril and Clavamox are the two most mentioned - still looking for dosage.

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 06:57 PM
Hello - where has everyone gone??

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 07:23 PM
GB - I got some detailed info to the vet - I asked him for an update if Chili ever called - fingers crossed he got the fuzzer to a vet or rehabber.

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 07:40 PM
No call to the vet as of 5:22 pm.

Buddy'sMom
07-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Way to GO, Apple Corps!!! :alright.gif :alright.gif :alright.gif

I hope she's gone to the vet now.

:Welcome Chili! Sorry you are here under such hard circumstances -- but you are wonderful for trying to help this squirrel. Please come back when you can and let us know how things are going. :grouphug

NaturesGift
07-21-2007, 07:59 PM
welcome Chili :) I hope all is well with the squirrel.. I have family in Smithers BC.

oh I cant wait to find out how the lil fuzzer is. :grouphug

keep up the good work Apple corps.

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 08:11 PM
Now 6:10 pm in Nelson, BC

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 08:20 PM
GB - on call all evening - the vet offered a very reasonable rate. Perhaps chili got the fuzzer to a rehabber - fingers crossed & prayers.

Critter_Queen
07-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Baytril dosage is based on weight. If you can give me a weight in grams, I can give you a dose by PM that ought to take care of a cat bitten squirrel... Heck, if I had an approximate age (that was close to reality) and the type of squirrel I could probably come up with a logical dose...

ETA: these are probably baby squirrels since he said one is still in the tree crying. I'm guessing they are dehydrated and emaciated because they don't usually come out of the trees crying otherwise... Baby needs warmed and hydrated, very first thing, antibiotics and vet assistance second.

I am willing to help with a vet bill.

Apple Corps
07-21-2007, 11:38 PM
CQ - for general knowledge - what is the dose per gram (or whatever) of weight? Is that per a certain concentration of Baytril?

We have not heard anything back from Chili - I hope he found a rehabber but am worried that things have gone down hill - let's pray that I am wrong and the morning will bring good news.

Buddy'sMom
07-22-2007, 07:16 AM
...ETA: these are probably baby squirrels since he said one is still in the tree crying. I'm guessing they are dehydrated and emaciated because they don't usually come out of the trees crying otherwise... Baby needs warmed and hydrated, very first thing, antibiotics and vet assistance second.....
:thumbsup :thumbsup That had caught my eye, too, CQ, but then I got distracted by the main squirrel :shakehead ... :thankyou for staying more focused :) .

Apple Corps or Chili -- any discussion about rescuing or watching for baby or babies to fall from the tree? Chili, you should be keeping your cat inside for a few days if that is at all possible -- and keeping an eye out, unless you can go and rescue the babies. When they get desparate enough, they will crawl out of the nest ... and then fall out of the tree. If they were crying for mom, they are pretty young and need help.

As CQ said, the first thing is to get them warm .... heating pad on LOW under the box you put them in. If no heating pad, put hot water in a water/soda bottle and wrap in a tshirt and put next to baby. Change water as it cools (often!). If you haven't already found a rehabber, come back here for more baby instructions. :thumbsup :grouphug

[??? I had the impression the broken leg-squirrel was the mom, whose babies are calling??? OR was it a baby that was hurt -- and maybe the mom is in the tree calling?? Chili or AC??? Is the hurt one an adult-sized squirrel?]

Secret Squirrel
07-22-2007, 10:15 AM
My hats off to you guys hanging in there.:thumbsup Seems chili hasn't been back since her first and last post. :thinking It's the same scenario as last week with davidwaghorn !!!!!! I just don't get it :shakehead

I pray that chili and david got their squirrels to good rehabber in Canada. Two emergencies on the weekends and both in Canada :thinking Hummmm!!!

Apple Corps
07-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Hard to believe that we have not had an update - the vet I arranged for was never contacted either.

Do any of you sense that we are - from time to time - played as fools by trolls who want to see how we jump when they post?

island rehabber
07-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Hard to believe that we have not had an update - the vet I arranged for was never contacted either.

Do any of you sense that we are - from time to time - played as fools by trolls who want to see how we jump when they post?

It has occurred to me that sometimes that may be the case, too. Some people seriously need to Get a Life......:shakehead

Critter_Queen
07-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Baytril dose is usually 2.5 - 15 mg/kg twice per day...my vet reconstitutes it to 10 mg/cc, that makes it easy to dose. Take your squirrel's weight in grams and put a decimal point in front of it if it's over 100 grams. Put a .0 in front if it's under 100 grams in weight. That's how many kgs your squirrel weighs. It's safe to give .3cc (at 10mg/cc = 3 mg baytril twice a day) twice per day to a 300 gram squirrel with no side effects.

ravenlaws32
07-22-2007, 05:26 PM
It has occurred to me that sometimes that may be the case, too. Some people seriously need to Get a Life......:shakehead

unfortunately , there are bad apples ( pun intended :D :D ) in life, it sucks but exists , there have been alot of hit and run and not report back to tell if the got help or not but as oath i took to help animals i cannot chance ignoring it and being a true emergency. i know it happens and the folks who lie well karma is right around the block . let me tell you in my 38 year old body i have been wronged alot thru the years and i just tell those folks look up on the wall , see that clock ? it might be hour ,minute, or days or years BUT KARMA and GOD will have the last say. so many folks who have been total asses and just bad people recently after year i hear from others they are doing poorly or alot of things bad are starting to happen to them so it will catch up to them one day

Apple Corps
07-22-2007, 05:38 PM
We will probably never know what hapened - sincere or troll - real emergency or stupid game.

A simple two line update would have helped a lot though. The sad part is that it makes us all think a bit more before extending lots of extra effort - and that might be when that extra effort could make all the difference.

Another important point is for people that really want help for fuzzers to feel welcome and comfortable - and they are probably stressed out to begin with - but close the loop.

island rehabber
07-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Another important point is for people that really want help for fuzzers to feel welcome and comfortable - and they are probably stressed out to begin with - but close the loop.

Yes -- I always like to err on the side of giving the squirrel-finder some slack....I remember how poor chadfromphilly really got jumped on and almost blown right off TSB. That shouldn't ever happen....I know we all get concerned but we have to calm down and have patience. :peace:)

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
We have to remember some people dont live and breathe squirrels the way we do.

Its hard to believe people can live such a life but I guess its possible.:D

Pam
07-22-2007, 06:42 PM

Do you think these possible trolls are random or possibly someone with a squirrel board past?

Apple Corps
07-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Do you think these possible trolls are random or possibly someone with a squirrel board past?

Clueless on that one - thank God :) :)

I do know that chili could have been a legit request for help - I am going to PM him now.

Pam
07-22-2007, 06:52 PM
Thanks AC for all you did to help this little squirrel! :grouphug

Apple Corps
07-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Thanks - we all gave it our best and will continue to do so even though this type of thing happens - the fuzzers need us.

LynninIN
07-22-2007, 07:05 PM
The important thing to remember is these posters are getting the right information from TSB. If the ER section was not here, they would move on to another board and may not get what the squirrel in their care needs.

I view this section as a virtual squirrel emergency room. Just like a human ER the job is to stabilize the squirrel (and human finder), give them the proper information and hope they follow through. Emergency care takers rarely know the outcome of their patients. They take comfort in knowing they did the best job possible.

It would be great to get updates and know what happened. If they don't come back we know they were well cared for and the correct information given by the wonderful experienced rehabbers and their squirrel loving assistants.

Oh, the fakers......:thinking emergency drills. :dono

Pam
07-22-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh, the fakers......:thinking emergency drills. :dono

I remember those days when I was working in hospitals. :shakehead We use to have an airplane crash drill or plant explosion drill about once a year. Very important readiness drills...but dreaded. I was always in triage and transport.

Apple Corps
07-22-2007, 07:31 PM
EXACTLY - emergency drills get us better prepared :-)

I still want to know though :dono :dono

Pam
07-22-2007, 07:46 PM
I still want to know though :dono :dono

You spent a lot of time on the phone with a veterinarian. :shakehead I hope if it was a troll, and they are reading this, they are ashamed of themselves. :nono

Secret Squirrel
07-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Clueless on that one - thank God :) :)

I do know that chili could have been a legit request for help - I am going to PM him now.

Apple corps, I know exactly what you are feeling :grouphug . I Pmed my guy 5 or 6 times....still no answer. The only postive thing is at least he called me once...last Sunday........no word still. At least I know this guy and squirrel did exist.

All we can do is the best we can....we will never know if it a sicko just playing games or the real deal. I choose to error on the side of the real deal.
Everyone who has been apart of this forum can be proud of always doing the right thing.:grouphug
My hats off again for hanging tuff.
Last week I was doubting myself.....I hope you never feel like that. :grouphug
Blessings :Love_Icon

Pam
07-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Last week I was doubting myself.....I hope you never feel like that. :grouphug
Blessings :Love_Icon

Why would you doubt yourself, SS? My brother-in-law that joined TSB thinks you are awesome. He came by my house every day last week to ask about Secret Squirrel and the injured squirrel. Honest!!

Secret Squirrel
07-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Sorry I didn't intend to hijack this thread. So let's keep this thread open for Chili and Apple Corps.

Self doubt comes from the "coulda, woulda, shoulda" and not knowing.
I would like to know the out come of that injured squirrel.

No reply to me is necessary....thank you in advance.
Keep your chin up AC...:grouphug I am praying for good new from Chili.:thumbsup

Apple Corps
07-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Chins up for ALL of us :jump :jump :jump :jump

We carry on for FUZZERS :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

ravenlaws32
07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Chins up for ALL of us :jump :jump :jump :jump

We carry on for FUZZERS :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

now that is the truth if i ever saw one lol :crazy :sanp3 :sanp3 :grouphug :goodpost :Squirrel :squirrel1 :rockin :rockin

Secret Squirrel
07-24-2007, 01:51 PM
Has anyone heard form Chili ???? :dono

Apple Corps
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Nothing yet.