PDA

View Full Version : Lona is making a cough gag sound/face

Loudhouse2
10-01-2017, 10:35 AM
The past 3hrs Lona has been making a cough sound with a gag face randomly. There is no clicking that I can hear. Some back info for past 24hrs. She was really energetic yesterday, ate almost all of her 2 blocks, 2 15cc feedings, 1 tsp yogurt, and I introduced cauliflower yesterday evening. This morning she wasn't as enthusiastic about drinking her formula and chewed her syringe up pretty good 8am no cough. At 9 we had our play session and she decided to jump from me to the cage as I was moving my arm. She head butted my knuckles, but it didn't feel to hard to me there was no nose or mouth bleeding (I'm a worry wart and check every time the have the littlest bump) about 20 mins after that she made that cough sound with gag face when climbing my leg. I have heard the sound 4 more times since then 3 of which was when she was snuggled in her hammock. The last time was when I gave her her block. She picked it up nibbled it and cough/gagged and threw it down. I'm really worried. There doesn't seem to be any swelling or bleeding, her teeth are ok. Could she have gotten either cauliflower or plastic from the syringe stuck in her throat? Did her run in to my hand give her a concussion? She hasn't aspirated on formula since that one time 5weeks ago. She has started to actively drink from her water bottle. I'm sorry for the info overload I'm scared I'll lose her :panic

mel_la_fee
10-03-2017, 11:25 PM
I just had a baby who's only sign of aspiration was a gagging face she made periodically and a lack of appetite. I intend to post more about her because her behavior was more indicative of hypoglycemia at first and I missed the initial warning signs of a serious problem. There was no wheezing or clicking, or shuddering chest/gasping, etc. Just a 'i want to throw up' face and a failure to eat properly. But when her condition did not improve as expected, I dosed her with baytril anyway (it was late at night and I could not see my vet till the next morning so I took the chance that it would do more good than harm regardless of the underlying issue). Sure enough, she had aspirated fluid, but it had not come out of her nose during a feeding and her lung/chest congestion had not reached the point where it was audible (to my ears at least). Which means the problem was all but invisible to me when it happened and shortly thereafter.
I would def consider that this might be the case for you as well. Even if your baby seems active and responsive now, keep in mind that they are instinctively programmed to hide their illnesses from predators, so any sign that something is off should be taken seriously.

Oh- and my little girl is fine (in case you worried). Antibiotics are a real life saver!

island rehabber
10-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Please check her mouth and throat thoroughly -- have someone hold her, and direct a small flashlight or whatever you have to realllly see way down her throat. It sounds as if she's got something caught either in her throat or the roof of her mouth, and although this also could be aspiration I would check for something physically lodged in there, first. Get the longest tweezers you have and prepare to grab the thing. Gently, of course. :grin2