PDA

View Full Version : fell onto stairs

tony
05-05-2006, 09:32 PM
A young looking adult fell about 20 feet from his nest onto some porch stairs. He then quickly crawled into a small opening between the edge of the stair and the house foundation. Something definitely seems wrong as he has been there since around 5pm and it is past 10 now. He has had several hours to come out on his own with no one around to scare him.

I don't see any outward signs of injury and he doesn't flinch when I come close to look at him. It's hard to tell though because he is wedged in and not trying to walk or anything. All I can see that he is breathing. Whether he is injured or not, he will likely become cat or raccoon food if left there.

The lows are forecast for the 50's tonight and 40's tomorrow night.

muffinsquirrel
05-05-2006, 09:56 PM
I don't guess there is any way to move the stairs or anything, huh? Whatever you attempt to do, WEAR GLOVES! And a long sleeve shirt or jacket. Put a pecan half in front of him where he can see and smell it, but will have to get out to get it. Is there any way to make the place where he is hiding safer for him, so that nothing can get to him tonight? It could be that he is not hurt, just stressed out.

Good luck to you and the squirrel - keep us posted.

muffinsquirrel

tony
05-05-2006, 10:20 PM
I think we are going to cover him so he won't get eaten during the night. It's hard to see what good will come of prodding him out of his hiding place.

island rehabber
05-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Tony, how's the squirrel this morning? We're all worrying about him, I'm sure.

sparkysmom
05-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Yea very anxious to find out.

sage1970
05-06-2006, 08:23 AM
Ditto!

tony
05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
Sorry to leave you all in suspense... We covered his hiding area with a board and a heavy rock, placed so he could get out but no cats could get in. I checked in the late morning and he was gone. He had to climb out on his own so I think he was most likely OK. Several of his buddies were hanging out in the area so maybe they coaxed him out. :thankyou

island rehabber
05-06-2006, 02:19 PM
Tony, sounds like good news so it was worth the wait. :goodpost

Squirrelly
05-06-2006, 10:09 PM
Tony, please keep us posted if you think you see him and recognize him around your yard. Then we'll really know how he's doing. :thankyou for taking the time to care for him.

tony
05-07-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't think I could pick him out of a lineup, but there have been several around the yard appearing to be of the same age. None of them looked injured. Thanks for the suggesions.