PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my 9-10 week old to eat their block

Blueyezatl
09-23-2017, 03:07 PM
Can someone plz give me an idea on how to get these formula fed babies to eat their rodent block? And yes, they have had other solids but I want to make sure they get what they need. Thank you

stepnstone
09-23-2017, 03:18 PM
Can someone plz give me an idea on how to get these formula fed babies to eat their rodent block? And yes, they have had other solids but I want to make sure they get what they need. Thank you
A quality block should be / have been the first and only solid food they were introduced to, eating, and eating well before other solids are /were introduced.
Now your going to have to provide some tough love! Once they totally wean off formula, block is your best assurance against mbd.

Blueyezatl
09-24-2017, 10:15 AM
I understand NOW that block should've been their first and only food... And actually, the male has taken to his block pretty good. I didn't know the correct order of things until after becoming a member here and had them for a while before that. Never knew this existed! However, I have been giving them block only since... It just seems to be taking Bonnie longer than it did Clyde. She still wants formula more than anything..

stepnstone
09-24-2017, 08:47 PM
I understand NOW that block should've been their first and only food... And actually, the male has taken to his block pretty good. I didn't know the correct order of things until after becoming a member here and had them for a while before that. Never knew this existed! However, I have been giving them block only since... It just seems to be taking Bonnie longer than it did Clyde. She still wants formula more than anything..
Squirrels can be just as individual as people. When Bonnie is ready she'll start nibbling at the block, in the meantime
let her have her formula as long as she'll take it.
I have 4 older squirrels that eat all their block and everything else I give them, they are also still sucking down formula
twice a day. I have a younger baby also eats his block very well but will only take formula in the mornings. Go figure... :dono

Blueyezatl
09-25-2017, 11:21 AM
So how often should I give Bonnie her formula? Clyde is only taking about two, sometimes three feedings a day, and Bonnie three sometimes four... Should I be giving her more since she's not eating the block as much as him?

stepnstone
09-25-2017, 11:37 AM
So how often should I give Bonnie her formula? Clyde is only taking about two, sometimes three feedings a day, and Bonnie three sometimes four... Should I be giving her more since she's not eating the block as much as him?
Over feeding can be counter productive and cause diarrhea.
How old are these babies, what formula are you feeding and do you have weights
on them to be feeding (at least) between the 5-7% rule?

Nevermind I see the age... duh!
They are probally starting to wean themselves but if Bonnie wants more formula and her
bowels stay stable I'd allow her to have what she'll take. Once she starts backing off the formula
she will (we hope) start eating her block. What type block are you feeding?

Blueyezatl
09-25-2017, 09:00 PM
Feeding the FV. I'm not sure on the weight... Haven't gotten scales yet to weigh them... However, both stools are solid and round. Bonnie's are a little brownish black and Clyde's are a little greener bc he eats the kaytee block pretty well. I was able to get Bonnie to start on her block after making them into balls with a little applesauce and coconut oil to mend it all back together. I also added some of the formula that she seems to love so much. She actually ate 3-4 of these today!