PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my Squirrel?

Spirit
09-22-2017, 01:41 PM
Hey guys,

So... my brother ran into an abandoned baby squirrel, a few weeks ago. He noticed 2 other babies underneath a car, who were both non responsive. So, I decided to take the little guy in. After all, literally the day before this I stated, "It would be really cool to have a pet squirrel." So, I saw it as it was meant to be. He was awesome. Never would I ever thought a squirrel, better yet a rodent would be so loving. He was finally getting used to me, seeing me as his mother. Waking up in the morning, stretching, yawning, reaching for me in saying his good morning, having his cute bold eyes magnetized to me at all times, looking to have play time or just a simple little belly rub. Oh man, how much do I miss this little guy.

So... all up to 2 days ago, on Wednesday morning he woke up being his normal self. I didn't see anything, absolutely nothing wrong with him. After I went downstairs to eat breakfast, I came back up and noticed him crawling around. At first, I thought he was playing but then realized his heart was pounding very fast. So, I went to pick him up and noticed he was completely weak. Seeing him extremely confused, his back legs weren't useful at all, his 2 front arms were weak as well until the left one went completely stiff, drooling quite a bit seeing saliva on my hand which I never seen before and he was consistently pooping all over. It was as if his body was just completely shutting down. So, at this point I decided to take him to the animal hospital. Which, on the way there he actually started coming back, snapping out of whatever he was going through but then less then a minute maybe 30 seconds his heart stopped. So, I began to give him CPR and nothing was helping. He had passed away...

Not a good feeling at all. Even after only 2.5 weeks, believe it or not I have feelings for the little guy. So, did my dogs! They've been upset, as well knowing something happened to him. To be honest, it doesn't even feel real. It feels more like a dream then anything else. Especially, having him for such a short amount of time and for him to pass away within minutes. It doesn't make sense to me.

All in all, I believe it was a stroke but I am not certain. From what? I don't know.

So, if there's anyone that has an idea what happened. Please, let me know.

Lastly... I'm pretty sure he was about 10 months old but I am not certain. I do have some pics that I'll be posting. Maybe, you can let me know his age.

Thanks so much guys!

His name is... Spirit

cava
09-22-2017, 01:46 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I'd be really surprised if a healthy 10 month old squirrel would let you take him in. I'm guessing he was younger than that. Yes, please post some photos, of how he was before he got sick. That will help us help you.

So...what were you feeding him for the 2.5 weeks you had him? Where were you keeping him? Did he have a run of the house?

stepnstone
09-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Am I understanding you only had him a couple weeks?
If so thats going to be pretty hard to determine what possibly could have happened.
What had you been feeding him?

Spirit
09-22-2017, 04:33 PM
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=293704&d=1506114817

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=293705&d=1506114821

The first picture was the first one I took of him and the other one was a few days after.

I was feeding him blueberries, blue raspberries, apples, dried up bananas, shelled peanuts, pumpkin seeds, assorted nuts and a few sunflower seeds.

He was always very active, no signs of anything wrong with him just that moment. I had him out quite a bit so he would just be hanging on me or running around my room but places where I was, of course. I wouldn't leave his side. I was very careful with him, for him not to jump somewhere to get hurt.

cava
09-22-2017, 04:56 PM
Oh, that baby needed to be on formula. The nutrition you listed would would have made him sick. Fruit and nuts are ONLY occasional treats. I'm sorry you didn't make it to us sooner.:Love_Icon

stepnstone
09-22-2017, 05:09 PM
I was feeding him blueberries, blue raspberries, apples, dried up bananas, shelled peanuts, pumpkin seeds, assorted nuts and a few sunflower seeds.

Your baby likely suffered a seizure. No nutrition with the fruits and all the nuts and seeds did was to rob
his body of needed calcium. I too wish you would have found us sooner....

Spirit
09-22-2017, 06:27 PM
Wow... I had a feeling he needed that. My father kept telling me he doesn't need it but I was pretty sure he needed it. Geez, I really wish I found you guys sooner. I should have just went with my first thought and got some formula. Actually, the reason I thought he needed formula in the first place was b/c he kept trying to suck my fingers as if they were nipples. Could this be correct? Was he looking for formula?

Another thing... considering he was the only one who was alive when he was found. Do you think there's a possibility that he was sick from birth? Or was is mainly b/c of the formula?

cava
09-22-2017, 06:31 PM
There's no way to know that, but yes it sounds like he was suckling. Now you know the correct thing if you ever see another one. Ask for help and come to the board.

Spirit
09-22-2017, 06:55 PM
Psshh... Thanks so much to both of you, especially with the quick response. I'll be sure to come right back here when/if I find another little explorer.

Jen413
09-22-2017, 08:13 PM
I recently got a baby from someone that hadn't been able to get him to take formula for whatever reason. He'd been giving him rodent block but he wasn't really able to eat it. He was not only trying to suck my fingers when I took him but he went after his hands and feet as well. I too hate you didn't find the board sooner.

Rest In Peace little angel!