PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Smell?

tori_theanimallover
09-21-2017, 05:48 PM
My boyfriend has been smelling a foul odor from our baby girl Ember that is nauseating him. she is 5 weeks old. I don't smell anything, I think she smells good. we are trying to figure out what the smell could be. do squirrels have a particular odor? does squirrel feces have a strong smell? could it be the esbliac formula that smells? we just wanna know what the smell is, so my boyfriend doesn't get nauseous anymore from it.

CritterMom
09-21-2017, 05:55 PM
It is likely the smell of formula pee - it is sweetish smelling in not a great way. Constant bedding changes are the only way to keep ahead of it. This is why I prefer using soft fabric like the microfleece - 3 or so times a day it gets yanked and dumped in the washer.

tori_theanimallover
09-21-2017, 06:01 PM
It is likely the smell of formula pee - it is sweetish smelling in not a great way. Constant bedding changes are the only way to keep ahead of it. This is why I prefer using soft fabric like the microfleece - 3 or so times a day it gets yanked and dumped in the washer.

okay thank you. will change bedding more frequently. does the smell get better with age?

CritterMom
09-21-2017, 06:24 PM
Well, it gets different. That sweet smell is from the milk, though. As adults, hormonal changes will make changes to the smell, too. About 90% of the design features of my cages are designed around getting peed on stuff OUT and replaced frequently. I won't use sprays or litter with scents, etc. - it CAN'T be good for them, and I find that just getting rid of the stinky stuff as often as possible is the key.

tori_theanimallover
09-21-2017, 07:35 PM
Well, it gets different. That sweet smell is from the milk, though. As adults, hormonal changes will make changes to the smell, too. About 90% of the design features of my cages are designed around getting peed on stuff OUT and replaced frequently. I won't use sprays or litter with scents, etc. - it CAN'T be good for them, and I find that just getting rid of the stinky stuff as often as possible is the key.

okay thank you

Chickenlegs
09-21-2017, 07:57 PM
Put a washcloth or folded paper towels in one corner. My guys usually will go to the different texture to pee. As she gets a little older, give her a litter pan--one of the corner kind with a wire top (put carefresh in it) or a tray from Chinese takeout with unscented cat litter in it. Most of my guys use a pan. Keeps things muuuuch cleaner.

tori_theanimallover
09-22-2017, 09:32 AM
Put a washcloth or folded paper towels in one corner. My guys usually will go to the different texture to pee. As she gets a little older, give her a litter pan--one of the corner kind with a wire top (put carefresh in it) or a tray from Chinese takeout with unscented cat litter in it. Most of my guys use a pan. Keeps things muuuuch cleaner.

thank you that is a great idea