PDA

View Full Version : New member

Lesslie
09-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Hello everyone my name is Leslie. I am new to this website. I am a big animal lover, I have a pet dog, pet squirrel and a red sliding turtle. I love them so much. I am currently in college and I work with folks that have mental disabilities. :Love_Icon

I have a question regarding my pet squirrel... He just turned 1 year old this month and I just noticed two days ago that his hind legs are losing some hair. Does anyone know what this could mean???

Javarat
09-21-2017, 09:53 AM
There are many different things that can cause hair loss... mites, fungal infection, diet, nervous habit.
A picture of the hair loss would help.
Also describe the skin at that location... does it appear flaky, dry, black, irritated, or moist?
Does he chew on that area or scratch it a lot?
Is he also losing hair on his tail, belly, or rear end?

Spanky
09-21-2017, 09:57 AM
Many issues encountered by captive squirrels are related to diet... it is critical that a captive squirrel gets a high quality rodent block as the foundation of their diet. Please share what his diet consists of...everything! It is important since a 1 year squirrel is at the age where a diet being off just a little can have devastating results (but correcting any deficiencies now can avoid that!).

Lesslie
09-21-2017, 12:57 PM
I have been feeding him rodent blocks from petco, he had MBD when I first got him when he was a baby I took him to a vet in Staten Island they prescribed him calcium drops and told me to feed him nutriberries parrot food..... he eats veggies but not as much when he was younger. That's his diet right now.

Also the skin does not look irritated or red no scabs or flakes. He doesn't bother with that area either. He is just losing hair on both his hind legs. I posted a picture. Thanks

Lesslie
09-21-2017, 01:01 PM

Jen413
09-21-2017, 02:26 PM
I know you said you're feeding him rodent block, but is he eating it? I would stop the parrot food if you are still feeding him that. Looks like it's predominately seeds and too many nuts and seeds are bad. Here is the link to the healthy food chart. That will get you started. I'm sure others more experienced with MBD will chime in on the rest. :grin2

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Spanky
09-21-2017, 02:54 PM
How old was this baby squirrel when the vet diagnosed with MBD?

What specific brand of Rodent block is he eating (and the question as to whether he is actually eating it is important too)?

The thought of a vet providing calcium drops and then recommending that you feed him parrot food that is mostly dried corn makes me wonder if I bumped my head... or if this vet did. :thinking Maybe bumped it twice if this is an MBD baby.

Lesslie
09-21-2017, 04:30 PM
Kaytee rodent block, hes not really eating it tho. Also if thats the wrong rodent block can you tells me what brand i should get? Hes not really eating the rodent block then how should i get him to eat it i dont want him to get sick again because of poor nutrition. And he was like 3 months when he had MBD i was giving him the wrong diet my first experience with a squirrel and im not wildlife Rehabilitator. And i have improved with his diet since and need to know more from someone that is experienced. Also are you a wildlife rehabilitator??

About the calcium it did work because he was having seizures and he cried couldnt move the vet said bc i was feeding him nuts thats what i thought they eat thats why he got mbd after he finished the calcium drop he got better and hasnt had a seizure since. Thank you for taking your time to respond to me i really appreciate it

Spanky
09-21-2017, 05:00 PM
Kaytee rodent block, hes not really eating it tho. Also if thats the wrong rodent block can you tells me what brand i should get? Hes not really eating the rodent block then how should i get him to eat it i dont want him to get sick again because of poor nutrition. And he was like 3 months when he had MBD i was giving him the wrong diet my first experience with a squirrel and im not wildlife Rehabilitator. And i have improved with his diet since and need to know more from someone that is experienced. Also are you a wildlife rehabilitator??

About the calcium it did work because he was having seizures and he cried couldnt move the vet said bc i was feeding him nuts thats what i thought they eat thats why he got mbd after he finished the calcium drop he got better and hasnt had a seizure since. Thank you for taking your time to respond to me i really appreciate it

Sorry, let me better explain my parrot food / calcium comment. It would not be clear to many folks...

I'll preface by saying I am not personally familiar with the Nutri-berry parrot food itself, but I did do a quick look at the ingredients and it seems like most parrot food of that type. Specifically it is a calcium depleting food (just like nuts), meaning instead of supplying calcium to your baby he has to actually use calcium from other sources to compensate for the high levels of phosphorus in the parrot food. When their is not sufficient calcium in their diet, or too high of a phosphorous intake, they eventually start robbing calcium from their bones, which is what MBD is all about.

While no squirrel should have this type of parrot food as a foundation of their diet, it is especially counter productive in a squirrel with MBD.

Does your baby still get the calcium drops?

The best block is Henry's Healthy Block:
https://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

You may want to try the Picky version and / or the Wild version since he was not raised on the block. You should give him the block before feeding him anything else, and he should have nothing else until he eats his block (2 per day.. 1 in the AM another in the PM). A bag will last about 1 month. Keep them in the freezer taking out just a few (to the fridge) each day.

This will likely be a tough love situation since this will be like changing a toddler's diet from cheese burgers, french fries and soda to white meat, veggies and milk.

Lesslie
09-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Okay great thanks, i was following that because the vet suggested to feed him that so i did. But i understand what you are saying and i am going to purchase henrys block tomorrow, when i get them should i stop feeding him the parrot food ?? I dont give him the caclium now he got it when he was first diagnosed with it he recieved it daily 2-3 times a day for 3 weeks. I have some left should i give him it?? How else should i give him the drops if so he doesnt like it

stepnstone
09-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Okay great thanks, i was following that because the vet suggested to feed him that so i did. But i understand what you are saying and i am going to purchase henrys block tomorrow, when i get them should i stop feeding him the parrot food ?? I dont give him the caclium now he got it when he was first diagnosed with it he recieved it daily 2-3 times a day for 3 weeks. I have some left should i give him it?? How else should i give him the drops if so he doesnt like it

I would stop the parrot food, the Henry's block is made specifically for a squirrel's nutritional requirements.
You should not need to supplement with additional calcium.
I too would suggest the picky blocks since your squirrel is older and used to the parrot food.
Do check out the Healthy diet, it's not too late to turn this baby around and get it eating healthy.
I too have a squirrel (my first) I fed wrong and caused mbd. She eats her block and veggies, she is healthy
and 8 years old now. :great

UDoWhat
09-21-2017, 10:41 PM
I want to chime in here because when we say Henry's Healthy Block it is very good for squirrels to meet vitamin and calcium needs BUT it is a supplement. It is not block in the traditional sense. True block is designed to be fed as a food staple. It can be fed alone with nothing else if you chose to do that. (I am not suggesting only block by any means.)Henry's blocks are supplements only!!! Henry's MUST be fed with a variety of healthy fruits,vegetables and occasionally nuts as a treat a few times a week. They do not provide near enough calories for a daily diet. Your squirrel would starve if fed only 2 Henry's blocks. I just wanted to explain the difference in Henry's and a block like Kaytee or Mazuri, etc.
I would give him the calcium drops if you think he could be showing signs of MBD again. Once he is healthy again you will not need calcium drops if he is eating 2 Henry's blocks with healthy fruits and vegetables evey day.

Spanky
09-22-2017, 07:42 AM
Thank you for clearing that up UDoWhat, I can see where my post may have suggested only the Henry's versus as a supplement in addition to lots of veggies and staple type block if they will eat it.

Lesslie
09-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Good morning I just purchased henrys block(for the picky eater) so I can continue the kaytee rodent block with the henrys block and feed him veggies correct?

Nancy in New York
09-22-2017, 10:29 AM
Good morning I just purchased henrys block(for the picky eater) so I can continue the kaytee rodent block with the henrys block and feed him veggies correct?

Yes, it sounds like a great plan.
Here's the food pyramid chart. Feed according to this
and you can't go wrong! :w00t
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-WBwrFLT/0/98b5eed6/O/i-WBwrFLT.jpg

UDoWhat
09-22-2017, 11:50 AM
Thank you for clearing that up UDoWhat, I can see where my post may have suggested only the Henry's versus as a supplement in addition to lots of veggies and staple type block if they will eat it.

Spanky, I didn't mean to imply that your post was not clear. I only meant to insure that new posters don't think that if they feed 2 Henry's blocks then that is all they need to feed all day long. Believe it or not a few years ago I had a new squirrel owner get the idea that 2 Henry's was all her squirrel needed everyday. She had been feeding the Henry's blocks for about a week and contacted me to see if she could give her squirrel more than 2 HHBs. As I questioned her, I realized that she did not understand that other foods had to be offered as well. She thought her squirrel seemed hungry. He was!! :eek So now I kind of over explain what I thought was obvious. :Love_Icon

Lesslie
09-25-2017, 01:33 PM
Hello everyone he loves the henrys block i gave him veggies but he wont eat it:( suggestions?

Also in his cage i have a tree branch a few actually a hammock a little teddy bear his size what else should i put in there his cage is 6ft tall 3ft wide
Thanks everyone

Spanky
09-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Hello everyone he loves the henrys block i gave him veggies but he wont eat it:( suggestions?

You mean he will not eat the veggies? Which veggies are you giving him?

Lesslie
09-25-2017, 06:57 PM
Group 1 & 3 in the pyramid chart

Spanky
09-25-2017, 07:39 PM
I believe since he had been given the parrot food for so long this will require some "tough love" to change his diet and enforce better habits. Great that he is eating the Henry's, but you'll simply have to provide nothing else besides the veggies until he understands he has to eat his veggies. Your boy has been eating not quite what "cotton candy" is to a toddler, maybe more like Fruit Loops and whole milk... I dunno. But like a toddler, he'll test your resolve but he will not allow himself to starve I promise.

Some of the consistent favorites for my crews are favorites arugula, dandelion greens, sugar snap peas, avocado (no skin, no pit).. and fresh corn, but they do not get that very often. Your boy like like the fresh corn, but I would limit that. The cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower are the standby staples of the veggies... they eat them but eat them last.