PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new member here, my squirrels are "missing"

Rickb57
09-18-2017, 09:53 AM
Hi. I found this site on Google. I am an Audubon member and feed birds daily year round. Have House feeder with black oil seeds alway full (until the squirrels rob it), 4 American Goldfinch feeders and suet feeders. I have at least 6 squirrels in my tree. More than one tree but I suspect the main one is their home. A blue bird house I put on the tree has cobwebs on the entrance telling me its too close to a residence for them to nest. So as of two days ago these guys came on the street to black top driveways. The sound resembles a tree cutter so I wonder if that scared my squirrels into staying in their nest? I feed them year round and in the brutal winter here. Go out in brutal blizzards to put black oil seed on the deck rail for them and the birds, Cardinals and morning doves mostly in winter. The alpha male is the boss squirrel. If I have seeds on the ground he gets them and the others must climb to get theirs from the bird house The heirarchy is true. They would rather have black oil sunflower seeds than peanuts That is a fact. Well I will wait and see if perhaps the noise and smell spooked them or if its jut the time of year? My wife remembers this happening this time last year. I was concerned of their absence. Please share any thoughts or perhaps you know more than I do?

Rick:

TubeDriver
09-18-2017, 10:47 AM
Sometimes I see days like that, very quiet with none of my regulars visiting. Perhaps a hawk was spotted and they are all staying low for a day or two?

Hi. I found this site on Google. I am an Audubon member and feed birds daily year round. Have House feeder with black oil seeds alway full (until the squirrels rob it), 4 American Goldfinch feeders and suet feeders. I have at least 6 squirrels in my tree. More than one tree but I suspect the main one is their home. A blue bird house I put on the tree has cobwebs on the entrance telling me its too close to a residence for them to nest. So as of two days ago these guys came on the street to black top driveways. The sound resembles a tree cutter so I wonder if that scared my squirrels into staying in their nest? I feed them year round and in the brutal winter here. Go out in brutal blizzards to put black oil seed on the deck rail for them and the birds, Cardinals and morning doves mostly in winter. The alpha male is the boss squirrel. If I have seeds on the ground he gets them and the others must climb to get theirs from the bird house The heirarchy is true. They would rather have black oil sunflower seeds than peanuts That is a fact. Well I will wait and see if perhaps the noise and smell spooked them or if its jut the time of year? My wife remembers this happening this time last year. I was concerned of their absence. Please share any thoughts or perhaps you know more than I do?

Rick:

Javarat
09-18-2017, 11:29 AM
Probably the time of year.
When certain trees start producing buds or nuts they instinctively concentrate on eating those.
I fluctuate between 5 to 20 squirrels and sometimes have a week or two when zero show up.
They also disappear during breeding and birthing seasons, which is probably happening in your area.
I (in Georgia) am also currently this week in a slump.. with only 4 to 6 appearing, and only in the evenings.
I note these appear to only be young squirrels, so I am in a breeding season.