PDA

View Full Version : ACCORNS

dextersmom
09-18-2017, 03:50 AM
Hi,now that the accorns are falling from the trees,I have heard DONT give them to your squirrel. Than I hear you can as long as you place them into water and only give them the floating ones. Which is true? I dont want to give them because I Squirrles eat accorns,yet I look at accorns with fear...what should I do? Thanks

island rehabber
09-18-2017, 05:59 AM
I personally feel that there is a lot of unnecessary panic about acorns because of an original -- and rather untrustworthy -- source, years ago. I have been feeding acorns to my rehab squirrels for over ten years without a single issue, and I was picking them up off the ground at a Stop & Shop parking lot for most of those years! Of course, cracked or holed ones were thrown right out, but honestly I never had a problem. I stored them on a tile floor in a cool room by a big sliding door so they were always in a dark, cool place. As for the worms that sometimes live in them, squirrels LOVE those things and eat them in the wild all the time.
I would not freeze them, however, and I would not store them in Ziplocs or any plastic bag for any length of time. They mold instantly when you do that.

Just my two cents.

Nancy in New York
09-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Hi,now that the accorns are falling from the trees,I have heard DONT give them to your squirrel. Than I hear you can as long as you place them into water and only give them the floating ones. Which is true? I dont want to give them because I Squirrles eat accorns,yet I look at accorns with fear...what should I do? Thanks

There are so many other things you can give.
If you're worried about them, don't feed them. :w00t
Many people will cut them open to see if they are ok on the inside.
I don't have oak trees around me, so I don't feed them.

dextersmom
09-18-2017, 11:08 AM
Thanks for sharing.