PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jackets, what NOT to do!

Diggie's Friend
09-09-2017, 11:05 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh68pjIyYjk

This was filmed in Portland, OR. in a yard that has no real lawn. where the soil had dried out. I never knew that yellow jackets nested in the ground; learn something new every day. This is a good reason to rototill your yard, lest the soil becomes compacted over time and appeal to this deadly invader to take up residence. One thing is clear they don't like water. We had paper wasps that made their nests under the eves of our roof. For some years we tried to get rid of them, but they kept coming back. I recall we used a wasp spray that shoots a stream of liquid toxin that kills them, but didn't know to do this at night. Quickly we realized we weren't getting them all during the day, and then one got one of us! After that we used the spray to kill them after dark; only then finally able to eliminate them completely. The same spray should work to dispatch this kind of wasp that lives in the ground, I would assume. I read about a squirrel stung by these nastly things so sadly, that died. if I ever see a hole like this in our yard, I will examine it carefully; if then I find evidence of wasps, I will wait till evening, then make sure they none of them come out alive!