PDA

View Full Version : Yellow spots on baby squirrel

Hevlovesbryce
09-08-2017, 11:31 AM
Our baby squirrel that we rescued has a couple of yellow spots on his belly what could this be from and how can I treat it. I've tried looking online with no luck.

I'm a very worried momma please help.

island rehabber
09-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Definitely need a pic in order to be of any use to you....

Hevlovesbryce
09-08-2017, 11:50 AM
How do I post a picture from my cell phone it's only asking for a URL?

Jen413
09-08-2017, 12:08 PM
There will be a tap in the upper left of that box where it references a computer file. Click that and it will let you select a picture and upload it.

Hevlovesbryce
09-09-2017, 07:02 PM
Here it is.

island rehabber
09-09-2017, 08:35 PM
Yikes...those look like bites to me -- anyone else think so out there? Never seen anything like that on mine. Is there sort of a little head on each one?

Hevlovesbryce
09-09-2017, 08:44 PM
No heads on them there is like a yellow crust on it for lack of better description. He's not scratching or anything. Also the crust is on one of his toes and it's swollen a bit but cannot get a good picture of it.

Hevlovesbryce
09-09-2017, 10:31 PM
This is the swelling and yellow crust on his foot.

Nancy in New York
09-09-2017, 10:54 PM
What does this little one weigh?
He looks so skinny, unless that's just the photo.
What formula are you using?
Can you post a whole body shot, head to tail?

Diggie's Friend
09-09-2017, 11:28 PM
Did you happen to find the baby laying in a wet spot, or near or in standing smelly water from the flooding?

Diggie's Friend
09-10-2017, 12:04 AM
Since I can't view the photo of the baby's skin, this page and the photos are for the rehabbers here to compare with the photo of this baby's skin.

The yellow crusty bites made me think of scabies - burrowing mange. (see photo).

Also, since the recent flooding mixing fresh and salt water, I found this noted on this same webpage:

Swimmer's itch, or cercarial dermatitis, is a type of acute dermatitis that occurs as the result of skin infestation by parasitic larvae acquired from swimming in fresh or salt water. The parasites are harbored by certain birds, mammals, and snails

(to see photo scroll down a ways)

http://www.onhealth.com/content/1/bug_bites_stings_pictures

Hevlovesbryce
09-10-2017, 12:06 AM
I do not have a full body picture of him. He is alittle skinny but we just recently increased his food and that's the picture my thumb is covering a good bit of his side/stomach. Im not sure of the name of his formula at the moment will look and get back to you.

Yes he was in our back yard during Harvey and was found in a puddle with his litter mates they did not make it. He was covered up to his nose and cold.

Diggie's Friend
09-10-2017, 01:34 AM
Thank you for caring to save this poor sweet baby;
I hope one of our knowledgable rehabbers here can shed light on what has caused the skin issue and the foot swelling.

CritterMom
09-10-2017, 03:47 AM
Since we aren't sure what it is, let's try something that will NOT cause any problems and may very well take care of it. Go to the drug store to the wound care section and find a bottle of 10% povidone iodine. "Betadyne" is the brand name that everyone knows - but if they have a store brand get that - same stuff a lot cheaper. It will be labeled "10% povidone iodine."

Do not use it as is - it must be diluted. Mix 1/4 cup water with about 20 drops of the iodine. It will end up being the color of tea. I would warm it up for the baby. Using a cotton ball or even a q-tip, Saturate the areas where the sores are - and I would wipe down the rest of him with it, too. Make sure he stays warm until it dries. Do it at least twice a day and see if it clears. Povidone iodine is antibacterial and antiviral so it takes care of a LOT of stuff like staph, etc. It doesn't sting or burn, it isn't greasy, and even if he licks himself it won't hurt him. It has become my "go to" for wounds and weird skin "stuff" like this.

BTW if you know someone who's dog gets "hot spots" tell them about this! It works great!

island rehabber
09-10-2017, 05:45 AM
:goodpost CM and DF -- sorry I had to go feed babies and then fell dead asleep :hidechair. Hevlovesbryce, the fact that he was in dirty water definitely suggests that this is a staph-type skin infection. You've gotten great advice here!

Hevlovesbryce
09-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Thank you all for the great advice I'll definitely be making a run to the store here shortly and we will give that a try. We have fallen in love with him and don't want to surrender him to a rescue but if we have to we would. His last weighing before we upped his formula consumption was 69 grams we weren't certain of his age but since his eyes are open and ears are starting to we have a better idea of this. I will update and let y'all know how it goes.

Nancy in New York
09-10-2017, 07:58 AM
FYI here's the formula that we recommend, and a feeding chart.
We feed according to their weight, but when you get the hang of this,
you can increase their intake a little at a time, if they appear hungry.
Just do so slowly, and make sure that the tummy never feels hard.
It should feel like an inflated balloon, but not hard.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-VTCXht8/0/d17c683d/O/i-VTCXht8.jpg

https://photos.smugmug.com/Feeding-Chart/i-Xhkv352/1/e1841dc2/X3/001-X3.jpg

Hevlovesbryce
09-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Correction hubby said he was 60 grams but that's been a few days ago and we have increased his formula as per the formula we found. That is the one we have been giving him.

Diggie's Friend
09-11-2017, 01:08 AM
I read last night about flukes on this webpage, that diagrams their life cycle, which has to do with contact with contaminated water.

Since mammals are also noted as hosts for this form of parasite, I thought to include this link as a reference on this parasite,
even so likely a longshot for the cause of the bites.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/schistosomiasis/biology.html

Flukacides are the medication that is used to eradicate fluke parasitical infestations.

As for a natural support source, Milk Thistle seed extract was noted to provide protection to the liver
from impacts from toxins and parasites.

Oregon Wild Harvest liquid Milk Thistle Seed Elixer is an easy way to supply this source for a squirrel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J9MKEUG/ref=sxts_bia_sr_1_a_it?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3182441022&pd_rd_wg=JHptX&pf_rd_r=2V9XGKCWD0WJTS4XBZAW&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B00J9MKEUG&pd_rd_w=KWxZc&pf_rd_i=milk+thistle+seed+elixir+oregon+wild+harve st+organic+liquid&pd_rd_r=TRMY91519C6BWY2M2BK0&ie=UTF8&qid=1505108991&sr=1

As for a possible therapeutic dose, I leave this to those here who are well practiced at calculating dosages for such conditions.