PDA

View Full Version : hello my name is Mia, i live in texas. Need to know if volcanic oil safe for squirrel

Medusa
09-08-2017, 12:27 AM
Hello from Texas

Due to hurricane harvey winds 2 baby squirrels nest got knocked down from nearby tree, they were about 2 weeks old when i found them crying laying on ground. Tried to get them reunited with their mom but the winds were so strong and rain so i put them inside. they were cold, dehydrated, we warmed them and gave them pedialyte for a day and eventually esbilac. For the next 2 days tried to get them reunited but there was no sign of mom. After a week theyve recovered and open their eyes and everything seemed fine . However the female (Chia) is active eats, no problem. The male (chestnut) was doing well till we noticed his walking different, when we compared the his legs one seemed swollen.

We have contacted our local wild life rehab but all they gave us was a list of rehabers to contact and non have answers our calls. My husband but a few drops of volcanic oil on his leg. Hes eating and is active but i just want to make sure this safe. Im really worried

thank you

CritterMom
09-08-2017, 04:11 AM
I wouldn't. I read a little about it and it has a lot of stuff that shouldn't be ingested. Your hubby probably doesn't lick his leg when he uses it (making assumptions here!) but a baby squirrel will, especially since the leg may hurt.

Can you get us some pictures so we can see it? In the meantime, I would restrict his movements as much as you can - small container, keephim warm and fed so he mostly just wants to sleep. If it isn't too bad it may rectify itself.

Medusa
09-08-2017, 10:10 AM
thank you for response.

I too read this volcanic oil could be harmful as contains petroleum, i soon washed it off his leg, dont know how much of its farmful. Here is a picture and video of him taken 2 days ago, today the swelling has gone down some, even though he moves around a lot.

Stretching

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c9BCRGxqyAk

CritterMom
09-08-2017, 06:21 PM
He is precious! Just really restrict how much room he has - you are trying to stop what is normal squirrely behavior for him and the only way to really do it is not introduce him to large areas - keep him in his carrier or whatever you are using for a little nest for him and feed him plenty of formula. You do have the right stuff, don't you - the Esbilac powdered puppy formula? And feed with a syringe with nipple, not a baby bottle - way too easy to aspirate the little ones with a bottle. The RIGHT food will give him all of the nutrition he needs to help build his bones - you just need to keep him quiet so it can happen...

Medusa
09-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your advise. After a full week resting Chestnut has fully recovered. :)
We built him and sister chia a cage, so much joy to see them play.:Love_Icon

cava
09-16-2017, 10:42 PM
That has to be the cutest sister brother picture I have ever seen and I took a bunch of my own. :blowkiss

They are amazing! I'm glad he's doing well.