PDA

View Full Version : New Squirrel Family in Ohio

Queen of Parts
09-07-2017, 10:55 AM
I'm new to the squirrel board but have successfully cared for an released a squirrel (Whorley) in the past. I didn't know about you guys back then, but I've read a lot of useful things on this forum this time around. Thank you.

This is Scrat. Unoriginal, I know, but when we found him on August 1st we spent sometime trying to figure out if he was in fact a squirrel or a rat. He was 11 grams when I got him away from my Lab. She found him in our autoparts warehouse. He was so hairless and skinny I thought he was a baby bird until I saw the tail.

This is Scrat at week ago. (162 grams) He is very active and VERY hungry. We have built a big cage for him and now I miss having him with me all day. (Cage is too big to lug to work, and wouldn't fit in my car anyway.) I'll try to take more pictures, but in the last week he has become too fast for my picture taking skills.

Is there anyone else in Central Ohio on this board? I feel like he needs to have squirrel contact. My family and I spend a lot of time with him but I feel like that is somehow insufficient. Thoughts?

-M

CritterMom
09-07-2017, 02:00 PM
My thoughts are "Welcome to the board!!" and THAT LAST PIC IS ADORABLE!!! :bliss

Queen of Parts
09-07-2017, 06:00 PM
Thank you Critter MOM! :Love_Icon

Nancy in New York
09-07-2017, 06:06 PM
I think he looks pretty much at home just where he is. :klunk :)
Are you looking for another squirrel, or to rehome this little one?

Queen of Parts
09-07-2017, 06:32 PM
Just someone who does this locally for advice, second opinions, visits, maybe sitting. I plan to keep him until he can live on his own, but I'm pretty sure I can't set a creature this young free in late October in Ohio. It is a long way until spring so I thought a local person with more experience might be a helpful resource. I have no problem taking care of him, but I'd feel better knowing I had a more experienced person nearby.

================================================== ===pghthrbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

He typed the above "sentence" for me:

292637 :D

Nancy in New York
09-07-2017, 06:59 PM
Just someone who does this locally for advice, second opinions, visits, maybe sitting. I plan to keep him until he can live on his own, but I'm pretty sure I can't set a creature this young free in late October in Ohio. It is a long way until spring so I thought a local person with more experience might be a helpful resource. I have no problem taking care of him, but I'd feel better knowing I had a more experienced person nearby.

================================================== ===pghthrbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb

He typed the above "sentence" for me:

292637 :D

OK we will see what we can find.
I'm always open to baby sitting such an adorable little squirrel. :)
Glad that you are overwintering. These little ones do so much
better when they are older and smarter.
Not to mention the bitter cold, lack of shelter/leaves, and food. :shakehead

He's just too darned cute, and he's a great typist by the way.......I think it says: Thanks for overwintering me Mom. :blowkiss

lennysmom
09-07-2017, 07:01 PM
What an adorable little cutie your little guy is!:Love_Icon:klunk I'm glad you are planning to overwinter him because at his age, it would be very difficult for him out there to release in late fall. I believe we do have some Ohio members, but I'm not sure what area they are in. Hope perhaps one of them is close by. Oh and welcome to TSB!:wave123