PDA

View Full Version : New here but not new here!

Ilovelucy_squirrel
06-28-2017, 11:47 AM
have read this board for years but never actually became a member. It has been recommended to me by many, mostly from Instagram.

I never planned on rehabbing animals, but we homeschool and our daughter had an interest in rehabbing, and was struggling with her work and so we took a different approach. So we bought all the rehab books we could had a pet shop owner who kept us busy with baby birds and baby mice and then baby bunnies. Than one day we got 5 week old baby squirrels. They did great! Since than we have rescued and released 17 squirrel and thankfully have not lost any of them.

Last summer we go 2 2.5 week old squirrels. Ethel and Lucy. They were doing great but Lucy often had milk come from her nose during feeding no matter size of syringe, and how slow we went and this was in the correct position. Later when their teeth started coming in well, both had malocclusion and Lucy had a cleft pallet. After trimming both their teeth, Ethel's teeth resolved but Lucy's did not. Ethel was able to be released and thrived in the wild, we had to keep Lucy and thus our journey as a squirrel owner began. We love her but she is often a hot mess!

You can keep up with her on her Instagram http://instagram.com/ilovelucy_squirrel or see her Dodo Video https://www.thedodo.com/lucy-the-rescued-squirrel-2333278211.html

Thank you so much for this board. Rescuing is easier than raising and brings so many new tags that you don't think about until you are forced to do it 😂

redwuff
06-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Welcome to TSB!

Looking forward to hearing about your girl!

Ilovelucy_squirrel
06-28-2017, 07:49 PM
Thank you 😊 it is an adventure for sure. We have 5 releases outside at the moment and they are crazy and have found a way into the house. I found one in Lucy's cage this morning because it was open because she slept with me 😂 Crazy LiFE!

redwuff
07-01-2017, 09:23 AM
It was great to talk to you and we hope to see more of you and Lucy on TSB.

ChristineFulton
07-27-2017, 07:43 AM
Hello!
Welcome. It looks great!