PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife Diseases and US Maps by State - PDF.

Diggie's Friend
06-19-2017, 07:10 PM
http://icwdm.org/handbook/damage/WildlifeDiseases.asp

Diggie's Friend
09-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Article on rabies in the US.

Map showing the key species in specific regions that carry rabies.

What can one say, leave the skunks and foxes alone; and if your on the east coast, stear clear of the raccoons!
For according to the other maps this region has the highest occurrances of rabies in the US.

Do not leave out water, for raccoon may drink from the dish, which if rabid can spread rabies to non-vacinated wildlife that drink from the same dish. Raccoons also carry Giardia, which dogs can be infected by from drinking from the same dishes as raccoons.

Diggie's Friend
01-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Rabies records for 2017 in California. Only Bats, skunks, and dog cases were confirmed.

Bats found with rabies have consistently been the number one in numbers for any species on an annual basis.
The close proximity to Mexico, where the bats come from, is why.

Squirrels are not on the vector species list for rabies.

https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID/DCDC/CDPH%20Document%20Library/RARTable2017.pdf

Diggie's Friend
01-28-2018, 09:53 PM
https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/06/when-squirrels-attack/531129/

"Squirrels are not on the list for rabies", CDC Spokesman said

Between 1999 and 2015, the most recent year for which the CDC has published data, 522 people in the United States were killed by dogs and 1,231 people were killed by other non-human mammals—meaning farm animals, mostly, according to a 2012 study published in the journal of Wilderness & Environmental Medicine, including cats, cows, horses, pigs, raccoons, and other hoofed livestock. Another 1,400 people were killed by venomous plants, scorpions, wasps, or bees during that time. “Squirrels aren’t among those listed,” a CDC spokesman told me. “It’s more snakes, spiders, and a few more common things.”

dextersmom
01-29-2018, 12:00 AM
I dont believe in statistics regarding wildlife diseases. What is the largest ferril animal? Cats. They are running around in everyone's community having babies,and babies,and babies. No-one talks about them walking around replete with infections,and rabies. I wish people would see a raccoon and not immediately think of rabies. Raccoons are being killed off left and right out of fear. Nobody I know looks at a cat crossing a street and freaks out,nobody is killing off kittens and mother cats out of fear. Its gotten out of hand. I lived on a farm growing up I cant tell you how many raccoons I have raised as a child. They are the best,loving,adorable friendly,and may I add smart animals. Any animal can acquire rabies,but in my neck of the woods its rare. I will be taking the course to receive my class 2 license to help out another rehaber who only deals with raccoons, She has had 98 at one time,why? because nobody else would take them,and as she stated,"If not me than who"

island rehabber
01-29-2018, 07:15 AM
Any animal can acquire rabies,but in my neck of the woods its rare.

You are so very fortunate to live in such an area. Just in my corner of NYC, borough of the Bronx, 16 raccoons were tested positive for rabies in 2017 alone. Just in the Bronx, and those are only the ones captured and tested. No one knows how many poor souls succumbed to the disease while hidden somewhere.

For this reason, laws governing raccoons and RVS species in general are strict and merciless in NYC. I am not even supposed to transport a raccoon anymore, per my license -- I am supposed to call Animal Control on the spot and have it euthanized! Even tiny babies.....:Cry

I hope Nassau County's proximity to NYC does not result in an increased incidence of rabies in your area.

dextersmom
01-29-2018, 11:33 AM
How many people had rabies in 2017 in your neck of the woods? They are letting you believe this is an epidemic when it is indeed not.They trap these poor raccoons and their babies. The babies I believe cannot be born with Rabies, They trap thousands and if they find a few that have,(if they even have rabies) they are only capturing them because they treat them as rats. People are afraid of rats,and raccoons because they are overpopulating,and are in everyone's garbage. How many rats in your neck of the woods were tested and diagnosed with Rabies?I Hope you don't allow them to sway you into fear mode,and above all, I hope that the only place you transfer them is into a country setting. .

dextersmom
01-29-2018, 12:17 PM
I just want to expand on your quote that they had stated. "16 raccoons had been caught,and they were ALL tested and they were ALL positive for rabies". If this were indeed true,do you know what that would mean? That would mean your entire area,your neck of the woods is running rabid dogs,cats,raccoons,rats,etc. You would be polarized having to leave your home. You would acquire PTS when seeing a raccooon. I will tell you what really is going on behind the scenes. Their food source is dry,they find themselves living well on peoples garbage's,restaurants scraps and they are now living in the city. The city is trying to crack down on these pests. So they capture thousands of poor raccoons and yes their babies as well,who by the way cannot be born with rabies under my knowledge. They kill them and state they are rabid. This puts inner fear within everyone backing them up, allowing the trapping and the killings to continue. How many rats in your neck of the woods were trapped and tested for rabies. How many cats were trapped and tested for rabies? What other animals are trapped and tested? They should be if this epidemic were true,for these animals would be replete with rabies,they share the same restaurants,and garbage's,and believe me they have been in plenty of food fights. Things that make ya go hmmmmm. I only hope you don't allow them to create inner fear within you as a rehaber,and most of all I only hope the only place you transfer them as I stated was to the country.

Diggie's Friend
01-29-2018, 04:40 PM
(See my thread on Zoonotic diseases)

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?59602-Zoonotic-diseases-in-squirrels

island rehabber
01-29-2018, 04:45 PM
I just want to expand on your quote that they had stated. "16 raccoons had been caught,and they were ALL tested and they were ALL positive for rabies". If this were indeed true,do you know what that would mean? That would mean your entire area,your neck of the woods is running rabid dogs,cats,raccoons,rats,etc. You would be polarized having to leave your home. You would acquire PTS when seeing a raccooon. I will tell you what really is going on behind the scenes. Their food source is dry,they find themselves living well on peoples garbage's,restaurants scraps and they are now living in the city. The city is trying to crack down on these pests. So they capture thousands of poor raccoons and yes their babies as well,who by the way cannot be born with rabies under my knowledge. They kill them and state they are rabid. This puts inner fear within everyone backing them up, allowing the trapping and the killings to continue. How many rats in your neck of the woods were trapped and tested for rabies. How many cats were trapped and tested for rabies? What other animals are trapped and tested? They should be if this epidemic were true,for these animals would be replete with rabies,they share the same restaurants,and garbage's,and believe me they have been in plenty of food fights. Things that make ya go hmmmmm. I only hope you don't allow them to create inner fear within you as a rehaber,and most of all I only hope the only place you transfer them as I stated was to the country.

Please do not kill the messenger.
These statistics come as exactly that: statistics. There is no story behind each capture, euthanization, and testing -- only number of rabid raccons, bats, skunks, cats, dogs.
What I am saying is that rabies IS a problem in many parts of New York City and you are in a bordering county, albeit separated by large bridges from the problem areas. Use common sense and caution, when dealing with RVS species.

I have neither PTSD, LDS, LSD nor MBD, thanks. I choose not to handle RVS species at all if I can help it because I do not have thousands of dollars for the pre-exposure shots, AND I have a crap immune system since having Lyme disease years ago. So....no coonies for me. BUT, when I have had to take them I drove them hundreds of miles to RVS rehabbers upstate. Just for the record. :great :peace

cava
01-29-2018, 06:45 PM
I have neither PTSD, LDS, LSD nor MBD,

Damn...

dextersmom
01-29-2018, 08:44 PM
Forgive me if I came across angry with you.Not at ALL. I never implied that you personally had PTS. I stated the community would have PTS if your community was rabid according to the statistics in which you had found. I personally would be frightened every time I walked outside, if that statistic had been true. Sorry if it came out attacking you. I think your wonderful person,and quite helpful. :hug

Diggie's Friend
03-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Confirmed case of rare rabies infection found in an Eastern Fox squirrel in So. Calif back in 1971.

As has already been discussed, rabies is very rarely found in rodents,

and even more rare for a human to be bitten by an infected squirrel.

Sadly this was that rare needle in a hay stack so to speak.

http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.7589/0090-3558-8.4.340