PDA

View Full Version : How often do I change syringes for feeding??

Phoxy8947
06-17-2017, 04:02 PM
Every feeding? Every day? Every few days?? I just bought this syringe yesterday, and it's already like sticking-- like it's hard to push, and I wind up accidentally squirting milk on the baby's face 😕😕

cava
06-17-2017, 04:23 PM
You can buy more expensive O-ring syringes that last longer. The regular ones are designed to be disposable. I found that the fat in the formula made them stick like crazy. And you're right, it's dangerous, I did the same thing once and freaked out.

I could use one syringe for multiple feedings then had to open new ones the next day. I was buying 100 ct. boxes off of amazon before I knew about O-ring syringes. Also, I was pulling them apart after every feeding, washing them in warm soapy water and laying out to dry. The longer they are dirty, the more shot they become.

Anne
06-17-2017, 04:28 PM
All of us who rehab and we all suggest to squirrel parents that the o-ring syringes be ordered online and used to feed. You can find them @:
Henry's Healthy pets
Chris' squirrels and more
Fox Valley Animal Nutrition
I feed a great many babies all year, I live in Florida and the Northern breeding schedule doesn't apply here! I only use the o-rings and have some I've used forever. They never stick even after a lot of use.

Nancy in New York
06-17-2017, 04:31 PM
I just sent you 4 o ring syringes in the mail today.
Unfortunately it went regular mail. :(
See if you can purchase ~ 15-20 more (depending on what they charged) from wherever you got it
until the ones I sent arrive. This will save you the shipping.

Phoxy8947
06-17-2017, 04:43 PM
You can buy more expensive O-ring syringes that last longer. The regular ones are designed to be disposable. I found that the fat in the formula made them stick like crazy. And you're right, it's dangerous, I did the same thing once and freaked out.

I could use one syringe for multiple feedings then had to open new ones the next day. I was buying 100 ct. boxes off of amazon before I knew about O-ring syringes. Also, I was pulling them apart after every feeding, washing them in warm soapy water and laying out to dry. The longer they are dirty, the more shot they become.

Yes!! And it's even more of an issue, because until the Esbilac arrives, I'm using goat's milk, mixed with heavy whipping cream and vanilla yogurt, so it's even thicker, and harder to push!! And I also take the syringe apart and wash it, and soak it in warm, soapy water after each feeding... It doesn't seem to be making any difference tho 😅😅 But thanks!! I'll search for those online rite now!!

Phoxy8947
06-17-2017, 04:45 PM
All of us who rehab and we all suggest to squirrel parents that the o-ring syringes be ordered online and used to feed. You can find them @:
Henry's Healthy pets
Chris' squirrels and more
Fox Valley Animal Nutrition
I feed a great many babies all year, I live in Florida and the Northern breeding schedule doesn't apply here! I only use the o-rings and have some I've used forever. They never stick even after a lot of use.

Thank u so much for the suggestion!! Nancy has sent me some of those apparently, so I'll have to wait for them to arrive, but I'm gonna search and order some more online too...

Phoxy8947
06-17-2017, 04:50 PM
I just sent you 4 o ring syringes in the mail today.
Unfortunately it went regular mail. :(
See if you can purchase ~ 15-20 more (depending on what they charged) from wherever you got it
until the ones I sent arrive. This will save you the shipping.

Thanks so much!! I appreciate ur help, as I explained in the private msg to u-- I'll order some more online, and until they get here, I'll just go back to the pharmacy and buy more of those throwaways... Thanks again, and don't worry about the shipping/delivery time-- I'm grateful for any and all help!! My husband works construction, but I'm actually not working rite now, as I'm waiting to see what my schedule will be like for school first...

Nancy in New York
06-17-2017, 04:52 PM
Thanks so much!! I appreciate ur help, as I explained in the private msg to u-- I'll order some more online, and until they get here, I'll just go back to the pharmacy and buy more of those throwaways... Thanks again, and don't worry about the shipping/delivery time-- I'm grateful for any and all help!! My husband works construction, but I'm actually not working rite now, as I'm waiting to see what my schedule will be like for school first...

No need to order on line, I have PLENTY and they really last forever (almost),
so you will have enough.
I will ship them out priority on Monday.
Not sure when the ones I shipped today will arrive. :dono

Phoxy8947
06-17-2017, 04:55 PM
so you will have enough.

Thank u, thank u, thank u!! 😊😊

Mel1959
06-18-2017, 08:41 AM
so you will have enough.

What a generous thing to do. :hug

Phoxy8947
06-18-2017, 08:43 AM

Isn't it?! I love the community here-- everyone is so helpful!! 😊😊

Nancy in New York
06-18-2017, 08:25 PM

Generous is offering your house and home to an out of state member,
while their squirrel recuperates after surgery.
I pale in comparison to you Ms. Mel. :bowdown

Phoxy8947
06-19-2017, 10:22 AM
Generous is offering your house and home to an out of state member,
while their squirrel recuperates after surgery.
I pale in comparison to you Ms. Mel. :bowdown

Thanks so much for sending these!!

Nancy in New York
06-19-2017, 10:39 AM
You're very welcome!:w00t
Just sent out another 15 or so mothering silicone nipples,
and another miracle nipple, and about 15-20 more syringes.
Now you are all set for MORE little ones. :)

cava
06-19-2017, 10:44 AM
Nancy, you are awesome. :hug

Phoxy8947
06-19-2017, 10:46 AM
You're very welcome!:w00t
Just sent out another 15 or so mothering silicone nipples,
and another miracle nipple, and about 15-20 more syringes.
Now you are all set for MORE little ones. :)

Oh my god, thank u SOOO much!! I'm studying every single day for the license test in August-- I'm hoping to get another grey squirrel in ASAP, becuz having Snickers made me absolutely fall in love!! Baby season will pretty much be over by then, but I could still maybe get so juveniles... Either that, or I'll just have to wait til next year 😕 Either way, thanks so much for all ur help!! I really do appreciate it

Nancy in New York
06-19-2017, 10:47 AM
Nancy, you are awesome. :hug

I have a few great examples on this board, yourself included, to live up to!~
Thank you Cava, the feeling is mutual. :hug

Nancy in New York
06-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Totally forgot. I also sent some Cirpo and Clavamox, but
did not send dosing instructions, as I was rushed to get it to the
PO.
These are a couple of good antibiotics to have on hand, just in case something
comes in down the line, at least you will have something, again, "just in case" :)