PDA

View Full Version : Loss of hair on last half of tail

Traci Sigwalt
06-13-2017, 11:13 PM
I have 4 baby (big baby!) squirrels that are ready for release. I am beginning the transition to outdoors. One of the boys has lost the hair off of the last half of his tail. The fur on his body and the half of the tail closest to the body are fine. The other 3 are just fine as well. Do you have any thoughts on why? Also, I know how much they use their tails, will he be okay to release? Thank you for any advice!

Mel1959
06-13-2017, 11:47 PM
Can you post a picture? I have one that has had the same thing happen. It would be interesting to compare. The vet did a taping and couldn't find any mites and she has also been treated with Revolution. Nothing has helped.

stepnstone
06-14-2017, 01:39 AM
Can you post a picture? I have one that has had the same thing happen. It would be interesting to compare.
The vet did a taping and couldn't find any mites and she has also been treated with Revolution. Nothing has helped.

I too had one who's full bushy tail thinned out and went completely bald. He too was checked out and had been treated.
Seemed like a long time but it did come completely back in. Shortly I will be taking in a youngster who used to have a full tail but
has been sporting a rat tail for quite some time. I can not attest to his care but know he had been treated twice with revolution.
Sometimes it can be led to nutrition not being up to par and some have turned it around with increased diligence in that department.
It also could possibly be from an unseen Fungal Infection. Squirrels can get infected with a range of fungal diseases called dermatophytoses.
Infected hair breaks off close to the skin and creates the balding effect, with time infected squirrel's immune systems can respond and fight
off the disease. The hair grows back, and the squirrels recover without any recurrence. Ruling out parasites, it is suspect that most squirrel
hair loss is caused by fungal diseases. Damp conditions including weather can increase fungal infections.
That being said, I would think cage conditions could also come into play. The little bald tail I had got his full tail back after I had moved the
3 (or 4) into a larger cage.

With the new guy coming in I plan to throw the book at him to get his tail back as he's close to if not already a year old.
Outside correcting and or improving his nutrition, I'm planning on using coconut oil on his tail as the nutrients and minerals
within it has shown to increase the body’s antioxidant levels and can help stop damage to skin caused by free radicals.
I will also be considering adding an immune booster to his diet.

Spanky
06-14-2017, 08:40 AM
I have seen this phenomenon at least twice. Not completely bald, but very scraggly. The one time was during the weeks in the release cage and the other was just recently, but happened after the portal was opened. In both cases the cage mates experienced no such hair loss. All of my releases get a revolution treatment before going outdoors. All had nice fluffy tails beforehand and I can vouch for their diet; they both came in prior to eyes-opened.

The recent girl still comes around and her tail is still pretty scraggly... I have taken to calling her scraggly tail. It has started to fluff out again, as you said starting from the base and progressing out towards the tip. This particular one continued to return to the release cage every night for 10+ days after her cage mates had stopped returning.

Traci Sigwalt
06-14-2017, 11:58 PM
I have seen this phenomenon at least twice. Not completely bald, but very scraggly. The one time was during the weeks in the release cage and the other was just recently, but happened after the portal was opened. In both cases the cage mates experienced no such hair loss. All of my releases get a revolution treatment before going outdoors. All had nice fluffy tails beforehand and I can vouch for their diet; they both came in prior to eyes-opened.

The recent girl still comes around and her tail is still pretty scraggly... I have taken to calling her scraggly tail. It has started to fluff out again, as you said starting from the base and progressing out towards the tip. This particular one continued to return to the release cage every night for 10+ days after her cage mates had stopped returning.

Thank you for the input. I have them in the release cage now. I have not opened the door yet. I was planning on that toward the end of this week. Do you think it is safe for me to release him with the other 3? I guess I would hold the others, too. I want them to all go together.

Traci Sigwalt
06-15-2017, 12:02 AM
I do not have a picture of him, but I can try to get one, if he sits still long enough! lol
I really appreciate the help. He is eating the same food as the other 3. I don't see anything any different with him. I can put the revolution on them as well. I don't notice any mites and his other fur is nice and thick. I just want the best for the little ones before I release.

Traci Sigwalt
06-15-2017, 12:04 AM
Can you post a picture? I have one that has had the same thing happen. It would be interesting to compare. The vet did a taping and couldn't find any mites and she has also been treated with Revolution. Nothing has helped.

I will see if I can get a picture tomorrow. Thanks SO much!

Mel1959
06-16-2017, 09:10 AM
It's a good idea to put one drop of the kitten Revolution on each one before you release anyway.. it will give them 30 days of protection from fleas. Some mites are not killed with Revolution and require Ivermectin. Typically with mites I think there would be excessive scratching and all would have mites, not just one.

I am as perplexed as you, because my other two seem fine, too. The vet thought that my girl was chewing (barbering) her own tail, or the others were doing it to her.