PDA

View Full Version : Rodenticide poisoning - peanut butter ball recipe needed!

PossumMom
06-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Dear squirrel friends, We have an emergency situation here in the city where squirrels were seen eating rat poison. They actually manage to take the poisoned bait bags out of the bait stations. I got one of the victims but it was already too late, the baby passed away shortly after arrival. We will now try to give the squirrels in the vicinity Vitamin K. Does anybody have a peanut butter ball recipe that works well when used with liquid Vitamin K injected into the ball? Does anybody have experience with similar cases?
Thank you all so much!

missPixy
06-06-2017, 09:54 AM
what I'm reading is that the loading dose should be subcutaneous:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1462

Please also note the warning to make sure the victim is fully hydrated first, as dehydrated animals will not respond as well to the antidote.

PossumMom
06-06-2017, 10:28 AM
The (very likely) affected squirrels are not in my care. They are still running around in the area and we have no option to trap them. So we are forced to treat the squirrels while they are free and therefore oral application is the only option. We are trying to get managment to stop putting poison out but till then we have to help the poor squirrels with an antidote before the poison can take effect.

island rehabber
06-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Oh this is horrible!! I don't know of a recipe but will help you look!! Is it brodifacoum or something else?

PossumMom
06-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Oh this is horrible!! I don't know of a recipe but will help you look!! Is it brodifacoum or something else?

It's difethialone, an anticoagulant, one of the second generation rodenticides that were banned in 2008 for over-the-counter use, but is still allowed to be used by "professionals". :-(