PDA

View Full Version : More to know about raising a baby squirrel

JoanP
05-29-2017, 10:15 AM
I too am a first time squirrel foster. The information that I have gotten from the members of TSB has given me the knowledge to be successful with the baby who followed me asking " will you be my mommy?" Found this little boy, named DASH by my grandchild, when he was about 5 weeks old. I presume he is now about 9 weeks of age and thriving. I have been given feeding information from carefully giving him Pedialyte and gradually mixing it with properly prepared formula, how to use the correct heating pad, etc.
I have fostered, delivered and trained many kittens and puppies as a long time volunteer for several animal rescues. Have rehabilitated perhaps 50 very ill dogs and cats.
HOWEVER, NO ONE PREPARED ME FOR THE LARGE INITIAL COST OF THE CORRECT SUPPLIES NEEDED TO RAISE ONE LITTLE SQUIRREL BABY.
All of the rehabilitators have the cages and the pre-release cage. Esbilac can be gotten in larger quantities at a discount. Heating pads with no automatic shutoff switch, small fleece blankets, correct syringes and Mracle nipples in the correct size, rodent block suitable for squirrels.
Thus far, I have spent about $1000.00 for supplies, including a parrot cage as Dash's current home, and the wood and special rolls of wire to build a 4x5x3 pre-release cage. Esbilac is $25.00 per can. Henry's blocks are not inexpensive, syringes and nipples must be bought and shipped. All the other supplies cost money, and someone must build the pre-release cage and 2 nesting boxes.
In the beginning, the foster parent must be available to feed 6x per day, always keep the cage clean, give exercise to the. squirrel...not too much, and learn that if the baby is to be released, he must not be totally dependent on you.
There is much to learn. Read all that you can....hours and hours just from all the postings on TSB forums, and be prepared to love this wonderful little creature and then, to let him go.
Thank you TSB for great advice and for sharing it all in the effort to save these helpless babies.

UDoWhat
05-29-2017, 11:46 AM
I too am a first time squirrel foster. The information that I have gotten from the members of TSB has given me the knowledge to be successful with the baby who followed me asking " will you be my mommy?" Found this little boy, named DASH by my grandchild, when he was about 5 weeks old. I presume he is now about 9 weeks of age and thriving. I have been given feeding information from carefully giving him Pedialyte and gradually mixing it with properly prepared formula, how to use the correct heating pad, etc.
I have fostered, delivered and trained many kittens and puppies as a long time volunteer for several animal rescues. Have rehabilitated perhaps 50 very ill dogs and cats.
HOWEVER, NO ONE PREPARED ME FOR THE LARGE INITIAL COST OF THE CORRECT SUPPLIES NEEDED TO RAISE ONE LITTLE SQUIRREL BABY.
All of the rehabilitators have the cages and the pre-release cage. Esbilac can be gotten in larger quantities at a discount. Heating pads with no automatic shutoff switch, small fleece blankets, correct syringes and Mracle nipples in the correct size, rodent block suitable for squirrels.
Thus far, I have spent about $1000.00 for supplies, including a parrot cage as Dash's current home, and the wood and special rolls of wire to build a 4x5x3 pre-release cage. Esbilac is $25.00 per can. Henry's blocks are not inexpensive, syringes and nipples must be bought and shipped. All the other supplies cost money, and someone must build the pre-release cage and 2 nesting boxes.
In the beginning, the foster parent must be available to feed 6x per day, always keep the cage clean, give exercise to the. squirrel...not too much, and learn that if the baby is to be released, he must not be totally dependent on you.
There is much to learn. Read all that you can....hours and hours just from all the postings on TSB forums, and be prepared to love this wonderful little creature and then, to let him go.
Thank you TSB for great advice and for sharing it all in the effort to save these helpless babies.

Thanks for posting this information. I am hoping it will give new finders an idea what is involved when you decide to take on a baby to raise. I don't mean to discourage any finder, but only to inform new finders what they will encounter. It is a commitment that will last all day, everyday, for months.

One other main issue is the need to have or quickly acquire a Veterinarian who will see squirrels or at least be willing to let you buy the appropriate meds for whatever may come along. Those meds are not cheap. A one ounce bottle of Baytril can cost up to $50 . You need to have many different meds on hand before you need them because, as we have seen just this weekend, a baby squirrel can aspirate and die within a few hours without the proper care and meds. I know these instances are tragic accidents but without meds and even a bit of experience it can be a deadly situation. It is tragic for the finder, those trying to help, and most of all the innocent little baby squirrel. :Love_Icon

The good news is that many, many finders do come to TSB. It isn't all tragic. Most of these finders do try to follow our direction explicitly, spend hundreds of dollars on food, supplies, meds, caging and other care. Although there is so much to know and learn they hang in here with those trying to guide them. It is such a heart warming feeling to know that so many finders are so kind and loving to a little creature that has fallen into their lives. That is why most of us stay and continue to try to help every baby squirrel that finds it way to TSB.

Thank you to all who love and care for these precious little babies. :Love_Icon

JoanP
05-29-2017, 12:26 PM
Finally found the secret to getting DASH to eat his HHblocks!! Thanks all.

island rehabber
05-29-2017, 01:37 PM
What a wonderful post, JoanP :thankyou
Sometimes, especially after we've had a volatile, uncooperative poster who contradicts everything we say and then the baby dies, those of us who have been here a few years get cynical and disgusted....Caregiver Burnout, they call it when humans are involved. It's burnout, nonetheless.

A post like yours makes that all go away......brightens the day and gives us energy and motivation to keep saving squirrels and the folks who love them! :hug