PDA

View Full Version : "MY BUDDY IS NOT FEELING WELL,AND CAN USE YOUR EDUCATED ADVICE"

dextersmom
05-12-2017, 05:56 PM
HI EVERYONE FIRST I MUST STATE HOW WONDERFUL IT IS TO HAVE A PLACE TO TALK AND LEARN ABOUT OUR PET SQUIRELLS. I NOW CAN USE SOME OF YOUR ADVICE. MY DEAR LITTLE BUDDY WOKE UP NOT FEELING WELL. NO CLICKING,I USE A STETHASCOPE EVERY HOUR TO LISTEN. HE WALKS THAN STOPS AND HIS EYES BEGIN TO CLOSE,AND HE SITS LIKE THAT FOR AWHILE. THAN HE GOES TO SLEEP,WAKES UP AND BEGINS THIS BEAVIOR AGAIN. I HAVE HIM FOR 2 WEEKS AND FED HIM NUTS WHICH I JUST READ IS AWFUL FOR IT DEPLETES HIS CALCIUM LEVELS.HE LOVES WATERMELLON,AND KALE,AND HE USED TO DRINK HIS PUPPY MILK 3 X PER DAY. HE IS AROUND 8-9 WEEKS OLD.NOW HE SLEEPS ALL DAY,AND WONT EAT,HE HAS LOST A FEW OZ. I IMEDIATELY BEGAN GIVING HIM AMOXOCYLIN ALONG WITH YOGURT. STARTED 1ML TUMS EVERY 4 HOURS FOR CALCIUM.HIS INTAKE WOULD BE 750MG PER DAY OF CALCIUM TO GET HIS LEVELS UP.. I CRUSHED UP A BLOCK AND PUT IT INTO HIS YOGURT AND FORCED FED HIM. A FEW HOURS LATER I FORCED HIM TO DRINK 5 ML OF HIS PUPPY MILK. HE SLEEPS WITH ME ALONG WITH A WARMING LAMP. HE IS URINATING,AND POOPING SMALL BLACK BALLS. I WANT TO KNOW IF I CAN GIVE HIM TOMLYN HIGH CALORIE NUTRITIONAL GEL THAT I HAVE FOR DOGS. IT IS REPLETE WITH VITAMINS AND TASTES GOOD AS WELL. I STARTED THIS ROUTINE YESTERDAY,NO REAL IMPROVEMENT YET.LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING ANY SUGESTIONS. THANKS IN ADVANCE...

redwuff
05-12-2017, 07:22 PM
Can you give us his history. How long have you had him...what has his diet been, what type of formula, how did you figure out how much to feed him...everything you can think to tell us so we can help you.

At 8-9 weeks he should still be on formula at least 2 x a day depending on his condition. Have you ever raised a baby before? Can you post pictures of him? That helps us a lot. How much does he weigh? We weigh in grams but if all you can do is oz we can figure it out. How do you know how old he is?

Please don't guess at treating him. Let us help you.

Trysh

redwuff
05-12-2017, 07:24 PM
What type of puppy milk are you using? It should be esbilac with pre and probiotics.

UDoWhat
05-12-2017, 08:58 PM
Can you give us his history. How long have you had him...what has his diet been, what type of formula, how did you figure out how much to feed him...everything you can think to tell us so we can help you.

At 8-9 weeks he should still be on formula at least 2 x a day depending on his condition. Have you ever raised a baby before? Can you post pictures of him? That helps us a lot. How much does he weigh? We weigh in grams but if all you can do is oz we can figure it out. How do you know how old he is?

Please don't guess at treating him. Let us help you.

Trysh

Please give us some background on your baby so we can help you figure this out. I am not sure about the Tomllyn gel. I would stick with Tums for MBD treatment.

stepnstone
05-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Please don't guess at treating him. Let us help you. Trysh

I IMEDIATELY BEGAN GIVING HIM AMOXOCYLIN ALONG WITH YOGURT.

All medications for squirrels have to be broken down to arrive at the proper milligram for dosing then they are dosed according
to their body weight. How did you dose the Amox for this baby and what is it you think you are giving an ab for?

Also please reduce your type, all caps really makes it harder to read.

dextersmom
05-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Hi,I have had a total of 8 squirells in the past. I have soft released 6 of them unfortionately two had passed. I feed "Buddy" esbilac with pre and probiotics. Two-3x per day.He weighs 198 grams. I have him for 3 weeks now. He was sitting by my gararge door found by my cat who loves and was raised with squirells,somy cat just blocked him from leaving, while my dog Lassie barked for me to see what was going on. I ran out and found Buddy. Today he had a bit more energy,at a bit on his own,(only watermellon) I had to force feed his formula (not actual force) a drop at a time,watched him swollow before repeating,again with 1mg of calcium per 4 hours,stopped the antibiotics fis breathing is perfect. Still sleeps,his left back foot must have been injured for his toes are bent inward,and he is favoring it. Would this cause exhaustion? wouldnt infant ibuprofin mask any pain and create him to be more energetic? I dont know,any advice is so apreciated..

dextersmom
05-13-2017, 09:12 PM
I do not now how old he is exactly just by his looks he is around that age. He sleeps with his tail wrapped around him and walks upwards and downwards.How did I know how much to feed him? I am addicted to reading all threads here on this fabulous board,and I have learned so very much thanks to all of you,but now I am in need of personal help.I know that the past days I have been working so very hard to keep him alive,if I hadnt he would not be here by now,again he gets a minute of energy and than falls asleep for a good hour,today he ate his watermelon above all I have been making him eat. He tried to eat his kale but didnt. No to mostly any other foods.

dextersmom
05-13-2017, 09:19 PM
I used the antibiotics to cover any issues that I may not be aware of that may have caused this condition. How did I know the exact amount to use? I didnt. I just used no more than 1cc along with yogurt. I am also getting a bit confused regading almonds. Do they deplete calcium? If he would eat them should I feed them to him while giving calcium just to get the caloiries into him?

stepnstone
05-14-2017, 09:35 AM
I used the antibiotics to cover any issues that I may not be aware of that may have caused this condition. How did I know the exact amount to use? I didnt. I just used no more than 1cc along with yogurt. I am also getting a bit confused regading almonds. Do they deplete calcium? If he would eat them should I feed them to him while giving calcium just to get the caloiries into him?

The point I was trying to make about your dosing the Amox...
Generally Amoxicillin is in 250 or 500 milligrams, for a squirrel it needs to be broke down to represent no more then
20 milligrams. Then it is dosed by body weight, For example; My 7 year old adult weighing 950 grams would be receiving
a dose of 0.3 cc's. All ab's are hard on these babies, overdosing is dangerous to their system and to their organs.
Ibuprofen helps to reduce pain and inflammation, that too needs to be dosed correctly.
Giving any nuts while trying to restore calcium levels is counter productive!

Edit: Thank you for reducing the caps. :great

dextersmom
05-15-2017, 08:44 PM
thank you to everyone! Buddy has made a u-turn for the better!!! He is eating,sleeping less. All these sleepless nights have paid off. I love him so much that I refused to let him die...

Mel1959
05-16-2017, 08:26 AM
Great update! Thank you for letting us know. :grouphug

redwuff
09-15-2017, 06:39 AM
How is Buddy doing? I noticed that Buddy was also dosed with 1 ml of a big drug without the knowledge of how to dose. Just saying:dono