PDA

View Full Version : Baby Squirrel Questions

Miller6323
05-01-2017, 09:25 AM
Ruby is i think an 8 week old grey squirrel and is usually an awesome eater but today she didnt want to eat her morning formula (Esbilac). I have been giving her Henrys Hi-Protein Blocks - for Baby Squirrels and shes been doing pretty good with eating them. Is she old enough to start to ween herself off of the formula? She is very active and curious still and i dont hear any "clicking" when she breaths so i think shes healthy. Any help is appreciated.

lennysmom
05-01-2017, 09:55 AM
At 8 weeks old, I would still offer formula for awhile. I have found at this age when they are starting to wean, they won't take formula at every feeding so maybe try again at the next scheduled feeding.

Miller6323
05-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Awesome. Thank you.

stepnstone
05-01-2017, 10:10 AM
Ruby is i think an 8 week old grey squirrel and is usually an awesome eater but today she didnt want to eat her morning formula (Esbilac). I have been giving her Henrys Hi-Protein Blocks - for Baby Squirrels and shes been doing pretty good with eating them. Is she old enough to start to ween herself off of the formula? She is very active and curious still and i dont hear any "clicking" when she breaths so i think shes healthy. Any help is appreciated.
Can you post a picture of your baby please....
How long have you had her, do you know when her eyes opened?
She still needs formula, is her Esbilac the powered kind pictured below?

Baby squirrel care: Go to this link this is a HUGE help.
It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.
http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

Miller6323
05-01-2017, 04:53 PM
I'll get around to posting a picture of her but yes it is the right powdered formula and yes her eyes are open. For her weight she is eating what she is supposed to and since this morning she hasn't had any issues feeding so I guess it was a fluke.

I've had her since she was about 3 weeks old. She opened her eyes about 2 weeks ago and I've had her about a month total so she's somewhere between 7 and 8 weeks.

Miller6323
05-01-2017, 05:59 PM

kcassidy
05-01-2017, 11:10 PM
Actually, she looks like a 5-6 week old squirrel.

What is her weight and how much are you feeding her and how often? I haven't had babies this size/age wean from formula it is usually the 10 week + kids that do.

I would be offering her henry's blocks now so I think you're doing the right thing, I also give them Avocado at this age, they suck it mostly but LOVE it :)

BTW, she is adorable!!!

Miller6323
05-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Actually, she looks like a 5-6 week old squirrel.

What is her weight and how much are you feeding her and how often? I haven't had babies this size/age wean from formula it is usually the 10 week + kids that do.

She weighs about 110 grams. And I'm giving her about 7cc a feeding every 4 hours or so.

Miller6323
05-03-2017, 01:50 PM
She weighs about 110 grams. And I'm giving her about 7cc a feeding every 4 hours or so.

She's 125 today.

Mel1959
05-03-2017, 05:14 PM
As her weight increases you want to allow her to have more formula to maintain the "5-7%" rule. In other words, if she still seems hungry after feeding her the usual amount, let her have a little more.

Miller6323
05-04-2017, 11:50 AM
As her weight increases you want to allow her to have more formula to maintain the "5-7%" rule. In other words, if she still seems hungry after feeding her the usual amount, let her have a little more.

Yeah I have been. She eating around 10cc four to 5 times a day.