PDA

View Full Version : Lost my best girl Yesterday. Im heartbroken and looking for answers.

Winky
04-28-2017, 11:47 PM
Looking for answers...

Yesterday morning my best squirrel girl Winky passed away. She was nearly 3 years old and never showed any sign of illness. She was happy, playful, eating and drinking right up to the day before. She was alive at 8:30am. I found her passed away laying in her bed aka "Winkin Hut" yesterday am 10:30am. She was part of my family, and was rescued from cats that had already broke her leg at about 4-5 weeks old.

I just feel so horrible, sad and confused about what happened. And was wondering if anyone has suggestions or ideas as to what may have gone so wrong so fast?

Chirp
04-29-2017, 12:06 AM
Sorry to that you lost her.
I have no idea what could have happened.

stepnstone
04-29-2017, 12:27 AM
Did she have free roam, could she have gotten hold of or into something?
I can't tell you how many times we have heard here one minute everything
normal, gone the next. The thing we have to remember at times like this is
although it's normal for us to see when something is wrong, it's not normal
for a squirrel to show it. :grouphug
~ Fly with the angels Winky, sleep in the arms of Creator....

Winky
04-29-2017, 12:35 AM
She did have free roam in her own bedroom. I have searched thoroughly through it and cannot find anything that looks the culprit. I have another smaller Douglas in the room that is fine. Also Parakeets for atmosphere. Everyone is fine except my dear Winky.

Shewhosweptforest
04-29-2017, 12:45 AM
Step is right...squirrels can hide their pain...discomfort. Honestly, they just don't acknowledge pain the way we do :sadness there could have been some underlying physical ailment...that she would have succumbed to early on in the wild...but with your care and devotion...she lived three years. I'm willing to bet it was a very spoiled, pampered three years :Love_Icon I'm very sorry for your loss and the pain that it brings...please feel free to post about her here...post pics :Love_Icon you can share her life here...and in that way she will forever be remembered :hug :please

She was beautiful:boohoo

Mel1959
04-29-2017, 06:20 AM
I am very sorry for your loss. :hug The suddenness of it makes it that much more shocking. :grouphug

redwuff
04-29-2017, 07:06 AM
Could you tell us what her diet consisted of.

I am so sorry for your loss. That is heartbreaking:grouphug

stosh2010
04-29-2017, 07:35 AM
You are in the company of many folks who have also suffered a similar loss....
Compassion & understanding...abound here.
PLEASE --lots more photos...start with the baby pics and share her life with us....thanks...

stosh2010
04-29-2017, 07:55 AM
I straightened and edited your photo....
Beautiful squirrel.......

Winky
04-29-2017, 09:47 AM
Thank you for your warm thoughts and words. Winky was so special. The most amazing little love bug. I will most definitely post more pics and stories soon.

Winky was fed shelled nuts, fresh fruits and veggies...

Blue Berries (Her absolute fav)
Sliced apples
Strawberries
Blackberries
Grapes

Leafy greens consisted of Arugula, Spring Greens mix, Collard greens, swiss chard, baby spinach and weeds picked from the yard (she liked the smooth leaves of dandilions.

Her shelled nuts were Walnuts, Pecans, almonds, acorns, filberts. Brazilians for fun. And she really loves shelled pine nuts (she liked the good stuff).

I would leave dried corn, and when in season fresh corn (which she got this last week). I also gave her a squirrel food mix but she rarely ate it. She loved sun flower seeds and pine cones. An M&M was her favorite sweet treat but rarely given.

I did give her any veggie to try, but those were her prefers. The artichoke was the last odd thing I gave her. She always got all she wanted.

I do still have the Douglas and I want to be sure that I am not harming him with the diet. He is rehabilitated and waiting for the weather to cheer (I'm dragging my feet) so I can release him. I never domesticated him so he should do fine. I want him to have a life in the wild.

It will break my heart to find out that my feeding may have harmed her. But I want to know the truth. I hope that is not the case.

Thank you for all of your kindness!

Winky
04-29-2017, 10:10 AM
THANK YOU Stosh2010 for taking the time to beautifully prepare that photo of my Winky. So kind.

Just knowing that there are others that get to experience the joy of these beautiful souls and reading the stories about your relationships is helping my heart feel better. The loss of my Winky was so sudden and unexpected, combined with not having anyone that understands the bond we shared -left me feeling alone in my grief. Others in my life cannot understand why I would be devastated by the loss of a "rodent (in their words)" which just leaves me feeling like something is wrong with me. Finding this site has brought me much comfort. I am thankful for your love of these beautiful animals!

stepnstone
04-29-2017, 01:06 PM
Thank you for your warm thoughts and words. Winky was so special. The most amazing little love bug. I will most definitely post more pics and stories soon.

Winky was fed shelled nuts, fresh fruits and veggies...

Blue Berries (Her absolute fav)
Sliced apples
Strawberries
Blackberries
Grapes

Leafy greens consisted of Arugula, Spring Greens mix, Collard greens, swiss chard, baby spinach and weeds picked from the yard (she liked the smooth leaves of dandilions.

Her shelled nuts were Walnuts, Pecans, almonds, acorns, filberts. Brazilians for fun. And she really loves shelled pine nuts (she liked the good stuff).

I would leave dried corn, and when in season fresh corn (which she got this last week). I also gave her a squirrel food mix but she rarely ate it. She loved sun flower seeds and pine cones. An M&M was her favorite sweet treat but rarely given.

I did give her any veggie to try, but those were her prefers. The artichoke was the last odd thing I gave her. She always got all she wanted.

I do still have the Douglas and I want to be sure that I am not harming him with the diet. He is rehabilitated and waiting for the weather to cheer (I'm dragging my feet) so I can release him. I never domesticated him so he should do fine. I want him to have a life in the wild.

It will break my heart to find out that my feeding may have harmed her. But I want to know the truth. I hope that is not the case.

Thank you for all of your kindness!

The truth is the diet was likely the problem and your squirrel was deficient of needed calcium.
All the nuts and the corn is a major component in causing depleted calcium levels which leads
to MBD. MBD does not always present itself with the classic symptoms we have come to recognize.
There can be no obvious symptoms but a squirrel deficient of calcium can have a seizure and die
in it's sleep or drop right in front of one as I have had happen with myself. Playing one minute,
gone the next.

Nuts for "captives" should only be given sparely and only as a treat. All the nuts and seeds
in her diet was only serving to deplete her calcium. Brazilians are not recommended at all and have
cost the lives of other squirrels.
She and your other should be and have been eating a good quality rodent block as their primary staple.
Your other squirrel on the "diet" you have fed is at extreme risk. You need to change the diet asap!
I'm attaching a link for the healthy diet along with a link to Henry's healthy block which was designed and
developed especially for squirrels and their nutritional requirements.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels
http://www.henryspets.com/squirrel-diet/

Edit: In the wild squirrels eat a large variety of foods to balance their diet. They know how and what to eat
to meet their daily requirements. In "captivity" we have to know what and how to feed to meet those nutritional
requirements. A good quality rodent block such as Henry's contains all the daily requirements needed when fed 2-3
per day along with healthy vegetables.

Winky
04-29-2017, 01:13 PM
What a tough thing to hear. Thank You Stepnstone for the truth. I appreciate the direct answer and more importantly the link. I wish I had found you folks years ago.

I will be sure to change his diet immediately.

Also, will be seeking advice for his return to the wild.

stepnstone
04-29-2017, 01:23 PM
How old is your other and how long has it also been on this diet?

Winky
04-29-2017, 01:34 PM
Healthy Blocks and Wild Bites ordered. Printed the nutrition plan.

So sad that I probably caused the death of my beautiful Winky. I will forever be saddened. I really believed she was healthy and well cared for. I would have done or spent any amount of money to ensure her a good life.

Thank you again for the advice, honesty, and kindness. Its been a rough week and I am so thankful to have some help making sure that Buster has the best chance going forward.

Im going in to go take all of his nuts stashes away now! Wow. I sure had it wrong. Bummer beyond words.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/images/smilies/taptaptap.gif

stepnstone
04-29-2017, 01:37 PM
How old is your other and how long has it also been on this diet?
Please answer....

Winky
04-29-2017, 01:38 PM
I found Buster last August during a severe heat wave. He was lethargic, open mouthed breathing and severely dehydrated in the middle of the road. I am guessing he is about 9 months old.

He has been on this diet with Winky the entire time I have had him. Jeez. I feel terrible.

stepnstone
04-29-2017, 02:02 PM
He has been on this diet with Winky the entire time I have had him.
I suspect that he also has deficient calcium levels and am going to suggest you start
the protocol for MBD to stabilize those levels. It's not going to hurt him if not needed
but if it is needed as suspected it could be what saves his life. If it were mine I would
not hesitate starting the protocol.

Emergency Treatment for MBD

Get calcium into the squirrel IMMEDIATELY, not later, not tomorrow, NOW. Delaying treatment can cause death or permanent paralysis.

You will need:

--Tums or calcium pills (any kind)
--a syringe, eyedropper, or spoon

Crush one Tums or calcium pill and add a little water or fruit juice. Use the syringe, eyedropper, or spoon to force-feed the mixture, a little at a time, until it is all gone. Feed a total of 600-800 mg of calcium, and spread it out through the day and night to keep his blood calcium levels as steady as possible.

If the squirrel is having seizures, weakness, or paralysis, the symptoms will usually improve within a few hours, but this does not mean the squirrel is cured. It will take many months to rebuild the calcium in the bones.

Long-Term Treatment for MBD

The next step to curing MBD is to fix the diet.

1. Remove ALL seeds, nuts, corn, and treats.

2. Follow the Healthy Diet For Pet Squirrels, which can be found at the top of the “Squirrel Nutrition” forum. (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16093 (http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16093)) Your squirrel MUST eat rodent block or squirrel blocks every day. If your squirrel doesn't like rodent blocks, you can try crushing them up with peanut butter or avocado temporarily. You can also make a tastier version of squirrel blocks using the recipe at the top of the Squirrel Nutrition forum.

3. In addition to the Healthy Diet, you will need to continue giving extra calcium every day for several weeks. Either use the syringe/eyedropper or you can try putting the calcium on a small piece of fruit.

Week 1: calcium = 500 mg per day
Week 2: calcium = 250 mg per day
Weeks 3-8: calcium = 100 mg per day

The cause of the acute symptoms—weakness, lethargy, seizures, paralysis—is a drop in blood calcium levels. If these symptoms return at any time, you will need to give another emergency dose of calcium.

More Tips
MBD causes brittle bones that break easily. Try to keep your squirrel away from high places, where he might jump and break a bone. Also, if he is in a tall cage, either place him in a smaller cage, or pad the bottom very well.

Heat is very soothing for a squirrel with MBD. A heating pad turned to low and placed so they cannot chew the pad or cord, or a rice buddy (a sock filled with dry rice/beans and microwaved for about 20 seconds) will work.