PDA

View Full Version : Ami and Girl Squirrel

awolf
04-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Hi my name is Ami. I saved a 1 week old baby squirrel who is now about 6 weeks after massive Wind Storms knocked down a tree on to our roof. The rehabber in my area was unable to take Girl Squirrel due to assisting with a move for her son. As a result, I have been moving right along with no problems as I tend to research at nausea, and have thankfully found wonderful resources to assist.

However I have ran into a problem which I will post in the appropriate forum, about successful methods of reintroduction. Unfortunately, an irritating person has told my daughter that because Girl Squirrel is being raised as a single and having human contact, her life expectancy is 1 year. I live in a people populated neighborhood with mild traffic, and domestic and wildlife of deer, rabbits, birds, possums, skunks and squirrels.

My goal was and has been to release girl squirrel, and have even been building a modular add on house to go outside for Girl Squirrel

I do need assistance with posting to the correct boards, as I can not seem to locate the posting function.

Nice to meet you,
Ami

redwuff
04-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Hi ami,

Welcome!!!

Raising such a young baby with no guidance is quite a mean task. We would love to see pictures of your baby.

Nursery would be a great place to put your thread.

Trysh

lennysmom
04-06-2017, 12:26 PM
Ami, welcome to TSB.:Welcome I'm not sure where you heard that nonsense that the life expectancy for a squirrel raised alone is one year - that is simply not accurate. Ideally it is nice for them to grow up with siblings, but I have raised two single squirrels and they both did well after release. If the release process is done correctly, single releases can still thrive in the wild. In fact, my first single release still comes to visit me daily after nearly 4 years out there!

Lighten-Up
04-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Hello and Welcome Ami!!

Have you received the help you asked for about how to post?

You mentioned that you research ad nausea, I'm one of those, :-) and that non-stop research did help me to raise two squirrels for the first time, and release them successfully, with the help of this forum.

There are numerous people who raise single squirrels and have successful long term releases, I know one who is 3 years old now. It's easier to have several, so they can learn squirrel things, but let go thoughts of naysayers. What you have is what you have, and there is no need to think anything but positive. Just do your research, and do things to assure the best success. That's all any of us can do. And we're here to help.

awolf
04-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Ami, welcome to TSB.:Welcome I'm not sure where you heard that nonsense that the life expectancy for a squirrel raised alone is one year - that is simply not accurate. Ideally it is nice for them to grow up with siblings, but I have raised two single squirrels and they both did well after release. If the release process is done correctly, single releases can still thrive in the wild. In fact, my first single release still comes to visit me daily after nearly 4 years out there!

Lennysmom - you dont know how happy you just made me. Girl Squirrel is adorable, but she will just as adorable successfully in the wild. Where did that nonsense come from? Numerous of NON squirrel rehabbers who used Google. In fairness it does say that in a couple of places, so I figured I would turn to those who know first hand.

I am posting pictures on twitter called @squirrelmyworld.

awolf
04-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Hello and Welcome Ami!!

Have you received the help you asked for about how to post?

You mentioned that you research ad nausea, I'm one of those, :-) and that non-stop research did help me to raise two squirrels for the first time, and release them successfully, with the help of this forum.

There are numerous people who raise single squirrels and have successful long term releases, I know one who is 3 years old now. It's easier to have several, so they can learn squirrel things, but let go thoughts of naysayers. What you have is what you have, and there is no need to think anything but positive. Just do your research, and do things to assure the best success. That's all any of us can do. And we're here to help.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I have to laugh because my husband asked me how Girl Squirrel is going to learn squirrel things, and I respond "guess I'll have to teach her"

I appreciate the encouraging words to move forward being positive.

awolf
04-06-2017, 03:38 PM
Hi ami,

Welcome!!!

Raising such a young baby with no guidance is quite a mean task. We would love to see pictures of your baby.

Nursery would be a great place to put your thread.

Trysh

Thank you for the welcome Trysh. Mean was a good description as Girl Squirrel has to endure my inexperience leading to errors.

Here is the link were I try to post daily pictures: https://twitter.com/squirrelmyworld

lennysmom
04-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Ami, since you are new here, we always ask about diet since it is the most common mistake we see with what people feed their squirrels. If you haven't done so already, please check out the healthy diet chart and once your little girl is weaned, you want to be sure she is on a healthy diet until release. Here is a link to the chart -
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Is she still on formula? If so, what are you feeding her?

awolf
04-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Ami, since you are new here, we always ask about diet since it is the most common mistake we see with what people feed their squirrels. If you haven't done so already, please check out the healthy diet chart and once your little girl is weaned, you want to be sure she is on a healthy diet until release. Here is a link to the chart -
https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Yes she is on formula Esbilac. In regards to diet, my goal is to release her, so I want make sure her diet is similar to what she will be eating in the wild. However while she is growing I will introduce her to what is typically recommended by professionals.

Here is my hard learned lesson: Girl Squirrel did not agree with the liquid Esbilac at ALL.

Thank you for the link.

awolf
04-06-2017, 05:28 PM

Hi again, I noticed that forum was closed, but I added to her enclosure a rodant/bird block which she isnt overly keen about, and I have sticks that I am encouraging her to chew on for her teeth. I am not using those as supplements as included on the chart, but rather something for her teeth. Is this not correct?

lennysmom
04-06-2017, 05:53 PM
Yes she is on formula Esbilac. In regards to diet, my goal is to release her, so I want make sure her diet is similar to what she will be eating in the wild. However while she is growing I will introduce her to what is typically recommended by professionals.

Here is my hard learned lesson: Girl Squirrel did not agree with the liquid Esbilac at ALL.

Thank you for the link.

Yes we never recommend liquid Esbilac as it causes digestion issues in squirrels. Make sure you have the correct powdered Esbilac, the one with the pre-and probiotics included.

lennysmom
04-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Hi again, I noticed that forum was closed, but I added to her enclosure a rodant/bird block which she isnt overly keen about, and I have sticks that I am encouraging her to chew on for her teeth. I am not using those as supplements as included on the chart, but rather something for her teeth. Is this not correct?

Sticks are good for their chewing needs as long as they are from safe trees (the list of safe trees is on the chart). Not sure what you mean by a rodent/bird block?

redwuff
04-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Hi ami, your twitter photos are fun, but if you really want to be successful releasing this beautiful baby back to the wild, you MUST keep her away from the cat and dog. Of course outside they are predator and prey.

What happened to Jack?

awolf
04-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Hi Redwuff - I had to make a call to ensure Girl Squirrels survival rate just inside the home: 2 Grandkids, 5 cats and 3 dogs, are her immediate threat. My "hope" are that natural instincts over ride association. However, your warning has not fallen on deaf ears and in theory very wise.

When the weather becomes warmer, she will be moved to outside on our wrap around porch, and that will help keep her away from the indoor chaos.

Thank you.

awolf
04-06-2017, 07:47 PM
Hi ami, your twitter photos are fun, but if you really want to be successful releasing this beautiful baby back to the wild, you MUST keep her away from the cat and dog. Of course outside they are predator and prey.

What happened to Jack?

Jack died likely to not having a the right heat pad, which I was able to find at Walmart.

Mel1959
04-07-2017, 06:55 AM
Hi Ami, im a little confused. I thought I read that Jill did not do well on Esbilac, but then read that she's on formula. What formula is she on and IS she still on formula? It is important that she continue with formula for as long as possible. We like to let them wean themselves. Some squirrels will continue to take formula from a dish after they refuse the syringe. Formula is the best way to prevent metabolic bone disease, which can be lethal.

When the time comes for release, at about 16+weeks, we recommend a soft release process. There is lots of information on this forum about how to release a squirrel to give it the best chance for survival.

Please read about the proper squirrel nutrition. I agree that items she may find in the wild are good to introduce, but that will not provide the proper nutrition while she's captive and growing. Momma would still provide milk.

I bet your granddaughter just loves a Jill. I have a granddaughter about the same age and she loved interacting with my baby squirrels. :blowkiss

awolf
04-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Hi Ami, im a little confused. I thought I read that Jill did not do well on Esbilac, but then read that she's on formula. What formula is she on and IS she still on formula? It is important that she continue with formula for as long as possible. We like to let them wean themselves. Some squirrels will continue to take formula from a dish after they refuse the syringe. Formula is the best way to prevent metabolic bone disease, which can be lethal.

When the time comes for release, at about 16+weeks, we recommend a soft release process. There is lots of information on this forum about how to release a squirrel to give it the best chance for survival.

Please read about the proper squirrel nutrition. I agree that items she may find in the wild are good to introduce, but that will not provide the proper nutrition while she's captive and growing. Momma would still provide milk.

I bet your granddaughter just loves a Jill. I have a granddaughter about the same age and she loved interacting with my baby squirrels. :blowkiss

Hi Mel - please let me clarify: LIQUID formula is bad. Girl Squirrel will remain on formula for as long as necessary until she is able to eat, and hunt for her food (which will be nutritious). I was just reading about the soft release method last night. There is a ton of knowledge here so I am thankful I found you all.

One challenge I can see is my neighbor is a hardcore faithful bird and squirrel feeder, which leads to some serious crazy showdowns. I want to make sure Girl Squirrel is self reliant until she has the confident to socialize and participate in the battle for the provided food.