PDA

View Full Version : Spell Check...

Preacher
07-05-2007, 02:53 PM
I've seen several comments/questions about spell check for the board. I have one solution that I know will work. Download & use the FireFox browser, has a builtin spell check. Plus the benefit of FF being a faster & safer browser to use than IE. Tabbed browsing too.
The way the spell check works is if a word is misspelled, then it's underlined in red to notify you. Simply double click on the word to highlight it, then right click to bring up a list of words it thinks you are meaning. Just click on the one you want & it will insert it for you. No backspacing & retyping!
But...like when BH is posting...every other word is underlined!!! At least it doesn't try to automatically correct them!!
Have a Blessed Day!!

drakkonia
07-05-2007, 03:56 PM
I love Firefox too, for most of the the reasons you mentioned. But I didn't know that if you highlighted the offending word then right-clicked that it would give you correction suggestions. Very cool! Thanks for the heads up. I can just imagine all the red underlining when BH is at the keyboard. :rotfl

Preacher
07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
GB,
Do you have a firewall? That would keep FF from starting up. You would have to give it permission to gain access.

TexanSquirrel
07-05-2007, 05:51 PM
I think this is the part where I holler for my brother - "Yo! Odiforus one Come fix my computer!"

I think I spelled that wrong.

Preacher
07-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Look at this & see if it helps any...we'll figure something out!!http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=BrowserFirefox18082

Preacher
07-05-2007, 06:41 PM
OK I'm assuming here that FF did install....Is it your current browser or still IE? If it installed & running it should have brought up the FF homepage before the other one. It's sorta a guide to getting started page. Did it install a shortcut on your desktop?? You only need the Flash Player for certain sites, not this one.

Preacher
07-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Actually...she's supposed to be home in a couple of hours...and I have to work tomorrow!
Are you using Windows 98? That may be the problem. I'm guessing that because of "floder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macro." If it's 98 you can't install the version of Flash it wants you to. If its 2000 or XP it should have said C:\ WINNIT\System32....
Patiently waiting...since WE aint MARRIED!!!!!:D :thankyou

Preacher
07-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Then....if I'm correct,,,you shouldn't have a "WINDOWS" folder.
OK,....is this a newer computer, or did someone Upgrade it for you?? From say,...98 to XP???
If I don't get back it's cause I have to EAT>>>us men has to do that.....and its 8:30 here and I told BH I'd let her out and I have to feed the dog too, and get my stuff ready for work tomorrow and I'll get back jus as soon as POSSIBLE...but it'll probably be tomorrow!!!!!!!! SOOREE (BH taught me that one)....plus imagine my bestus PITISFULS LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D
Oh by the way...you DO NOT have to shut down to see what you have on you computer.....lesson number 2,138!!!!!!

Pam
07-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Dearest Gamma, you will figure it out. My guys will never help me with the computer. John even had me doing the books for his three businesses and didn't want to teach me. I taught myself Peachtree Accounting and kept the books to the penny. I even did payroll and all the accounts payable. You CAN figure this out. :thumbsup

Preacher
07-05-2007, 08:36 PM
Dearest Gamma, you will figure it out. My guys will never help me with the computer. John even had me doing the books for his three businesses and didn't want to teach me. I taught myself Peachtree Accounting and kept the books to the penny. I even did payroll and all the accounts payable. You CAN figure this out. :thumbsup

Heys ....BH heres fore preacher puts mees up.....paysrolly ans conts paysable....shuks....I's can doos dat!!!! Ha Heh heeeees!!!!:D

skwerls_R_soft
07-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Gamma,
It sounds like Comcast might be set as your home page and that something on that page uses Flash to run.SInce Flash is a plugin, or add-on for FF then you need to go get it...this you already know obviously. FF is a great browser but it does require a certain finesse to get it set up properly. You will have to install "plugins" like the flash player that you are trying to install. Quicktime and Java are two others. In a perfect world this is an easy task, but it doesn't always go right as you can see. XP Media Center edition is a bit buggy as well and I have had problems similar to yours with FF on this version of Windows. It can work though.You have to install the plugins outside of FF, not in the browser as FF leads you to believe you can.

Try this:
Go to Start-Control Panel- Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Firefox

Then go to Start-My Computer-C: (Local Disk)-Program Files
Look for the "Mozilla Firefox" folder and delete it.

Go back to www.mozilla.com and re-download Firefox and reinstall it.

Then go to http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW and click on the "Download Now" button. Save that file to your desktop. When it is done,double click it to run and install it (Flash Player)

When you are done close FF and restart it.
Then go here:
http://www.homestarrunner.com/
to test and see if flash is working. If the cartoon works then you are good.

If not, get a hammer and beat the computer until it begins to work properly:D

drakkonia
07-05-2007, 10:06 PM
For computer problems of any kind, you know what I find generally helps? Doing a Google search for key terms of the problem I'm having. Like for example, a few days ago I was helping my Mom with her computer that was having an INSTALL.LOG error. I did a Google search for "install.log" and did a little bit of reading on the links that came up, and was able to find a solution.

drakkonia
07-05-2007, 10:22 PM
You're welcome! I google everything too. Either google or wikipedia...

skwerls_R_soft
07-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Well having Comcast.com as a homepage is not necessarily a bad thing but you may prefer to make your own choice as to what you want as your homepage. It irks me that ISP's force their homepages on customers when they install their services...but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, as Drakkonia said, Google-ing for answers is a good thing. You may want to set Google as your home page instead of Comcast. I find it a nice clean, easy place to start.

Open up FF
At the very top of the page click Tools - Options
Then click the "Main" button along the top of the options window
Change the home page address to www.google.com (or any other web page address you prefer!)
Click Apply then OK
Test it out by clicking the home (house) icon in the toolbar of Firefox.
It should take you to the Google homepage.

Preacher
07-06-2007, 07:28 PM
GB...you got that thing working yet??? Oh, & I learned what you was talking about with the C:\Windows file....keep forgetting about how goofy XP is. Thats why I like 2000!!:D