PDA

View Full Version : Cat caught 4-5 week old minor scratches

Minaluvri
03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
Just received a 4-5 week old baby gray last night. He weighs 100 grams and was caught by a cat and carried under a deck where the cats owners took him from the cat. He is fully furred and his tail is starting to get fluffy but his eyes are still closed. He was in pretty good condition, barely dehydrated and very chubby! I started him off on Pedialyte last night and this morning and have now switched him over to diluted FV. My main concern now is whether or not to start him on AB's. I have Cipro and Clavamox, but I know it can be kind of hard on their stomachs and I don't want to put him on them if he doesn't need it. No puncture wounds or bite marks, he does look like he has two minor scratches on his hind leg, very tiny and not deep at all. I cleaned the area and put some topical antibiotic ointment on them last night and they've already almost healed over. Just wanted everyones opinions, do you all start on AB's any time you get a cat caught baby to be safe? Thats what I'm leaning towards, if so I would appreciate someones help checking that my dosage calculations are correct!

Nancy in New York
03-27-2017, 05:46 PM
Just received a 4-5 week old baby gray last night. He weighs 100 grams and was caught by a cat and carried under a deck where the cats owners took him from the cat. He is fully furred and his tail is starting to get fluffy but his eyes are still closed. He was in pretty good condition, barely dehydrated and very chubby! I started him off on Pedialyte last night and this morning and have now switched him over to diluted FV. My main concern now is whether or not to start him on AB's. I have Cipro and Clavamox, but I know it can be kind of hard on their stomachs and I don't want to put him on them if he doesn't need it. No puncture wounds or bite marks, he does look like he has two minor scratches on his hind leg, very tiny and not deep at all. I cleaned the area and put some topical antibiotic ointment on them last night and they've already almost healed over. Just wanted everyones opinions, do you all start on AB's any time you get a cat caught baby to be safe? Thats what I'm leaning towards, if so I would appreciate someones help checking that my dosage calculations are correct!

He absolutely needs antibiotic now.
Let me know the strength/mg of the Cipro and we will start him on that immediately.
Cat bites, saliva and scratches ARE deadly.
I'll be happy to check your dosing calculation.
He needs this ASAP.
Always remember to give him probiotics 2 hours prior or after giving the antibiotics.
These drugs are hard on their tummies.

Nancy in New York
03-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Dosing sent.