PDA

View Full Version : Red Squirrels

vero
03-26-2017, 07:51 PM
I am an animal and nature lover and as I said a protector. I came upon your forum for the first time today. And quickly I am writing to find some red squirrels to buy and place on my property, Slaughter La. we have plenty of grey squirrels but only a handful of red and I would like to see them re-established; they don't seem to compete as well but as these will not be hunted (knowingly) possibly I can see some are established. Anyone?

Administration
03-26-2017, 07:54 PM
TSB will no longer permit the advertising FOR SALE of squirrels of any species.

Unfortunately, it is difficult if not impossible for TSB to keep track of unscrupulous breeders, unlicensed breeders, or incompetent breeders. As often happens in life, the good and reputable breeders out there must suffer, too, by not being allowed to advertise on TSB anymore.

TSB never condoned the breeding or sale of squirrels, except for flying squirrels, but now we find it necessary to stop the advertising of flyers for sale, too. In particular, the practice of shipping fragile, living creatures all over creation is abhorrent to us, and we can no longer look the other way and pretend it's alright.

PLEASE NOTE: This in no way affects the act of seeking new homes for pet or non-releasable squirrels, or helping the effort of seeking new homes for them. That is something TSB does so well -- network and connect those in need -- and we are not stopping that! We are merely pulling the plug on threads that advertise squirrels for sale. Breeders who are members are still more than welcome to participate in threads, offer help, and basically do anything here they did before.....EXCEPT advertise their wares. When "wares" are living creatures, and often baby creatures, TSB cannot condone their sale any longer.

Thanks for your understanding.

IR & Admins

SammysMom
03-26-2017, 07:55 PM
Here on TSB, we do not engage in the buying or selling of wildlife. We are here to assist in rescuing and caring for those in need. I would encourage you to contact your state wildlife authority and investigate becoming a wildlife rehabber.
Are red squirrels native to your part of the country?

KarmaKay
03-26-2017, 09:31 PM
Local rehabbers often need assistance and you could help by offering your home as a release site for rehabbers. As long as the intention wasn to hunt them they would probably be happy to use some of your land permitting it's a conducive environment :grin2

DaSquirrelMom
03-27-2017, 10:15 PM
If you don't have red squirrels on your property now, there is a reason:
1. There are not enough pine trees.
2. Red squirrels usually do not co-exist with gray squirrels.

Sometimes Southerners refer to fox squirrels as "red squirrels". The above is in reference to American Pine (red) squirrels.