PDA

View Full Version : 8 Month Old Female Gray With Anemia

Squirrelmaven
03-26-2017, 01:04 PM
I have an 8 month old non releasable Gray of northern (Ohio) captive stock that has developed anemia. Here are the facts - any help would be greatly appreciated:

She may have fallen in her aviary about 3 weeks ago. First noticed lethargy and some difficulty climbing that progressively got worse. She had increasing difficulty using hind legs and tail flaccid with NO movement. Grunting when attempting to walk. Went to Dr. Diaz of Orlando Exotic Animal Hospital and had blood chemestry & xrays. Anomaly noted on spine above pelvis unclear if hairline fracture or just disc issue. NO MBD found in blood chemestry and calcium slightly elevated. Iron levels at 21 when they should be in the mid to high 40's. Diagnosed with severe anemia. Palpation and review of xrays showed no sign of internal bleeding. Fecal showed no parasites (coccidia Etc) and no noticeable blood in urine or stool. Possible systemic problem(??) Prescribed Metacam for swelling, Trimethoprim Sulfa, Epoetin Alfa (Epogen) injections. One time Intramuscular Injection of 100 mg/ml of Iron Dextran in hind leg muscle. Cold laser therapy on lower spine every 3rd day.

Diet History: Fox Valley 20/50 since acquired until solid foods. Tranistioned to Henrys Hi Protein until weaned then transtioned to Adult Blocks. Following Henrys diet as close as possible. Must be working b/c no MBD. The anemia is serious. I don't want to overdose by supplementing iron orally without knowing quantity. Will not eat lab blocks, monkey chow or Zupreem bird even with the Peanut Butter "bake".

Still lethargic & seems confused but slight improvement over the past 2 days. Appetite poor but eats some solids. Back on 20/50 to supplement. Drinking enough water - feces and urination normal. Sleeps a LOT

Any ideas - especially on the Anemia cause and how to supplement to improve Iron level?

Ad this Vet to your list of GREAT Squirrel friendly and Squirrel experienced Vets in Florida: http://www.orlandoexoticveterinarian.com

Mel1959
03-26-2017, 01:53 PM
Did the vet not give any advice for follow up care? According to the Wild Mammal Book a product called Pet Tinic can be used to supplement anemic mammals. I would also think your vet would be able to recommend something.

It sounds like you are doing a good job providing the proper nutrition so I don't understand why your squirrel would become anemic if there are no internal or external parasites. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

Thank you for the name of a good vet. It's always nice to have names. :grin2

Squirrelmaven
03-26-2017, 02:00 PM
I have not tried Pet Tinic. I have an appointment with Dr. Diaz tomorrow for a follow up and I will ask him about it. I see you are on the east coast of FL. Dr. Diaz is worth the trip to Orlando. Seems to be some improvement today. The Anemia is a mystery to everyone I ask.

lilidukes
03-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Try Pecan Ensure. Great source of iron.
I had one come in literally being eaten
up with lice. Worked wonders on her.

Mel1959
03-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I have not tried Pet Tinic. I have an appointment with Dr. Diaz tomorrow for a follow up and I will ask him about it. I see you are on the east coast of FL. Dr. Diaz is worth the trip to Orlando. Seems to be some improvement today. The Anemia is a mystery to everyone I ask.

I make the drive to Port Orange to have my little guy seen by Dr. Emerson, who is also a very knowledgeable squirrel vet. It's about an hour and fifteen minutes straight up I-95. But I will keep your doctors name handy. Thank you.

Squirrelmaven
03-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Dr Emerson is GREAT also. She was recommended by Dr Gena Seaberg out of Washington - a squirrel / prairie dog nutritionist. It's easier getting in to see Dr Diaz as he is new in town and is building up a clientele. He has been in practice for a long time in S Florida and just moved up this way.

A little improvement today but still lethargic and not totally responsive, also eating a little on her own (grapes). Still on Fox Valley with ground up Mazuri rodent block mixed in. More cold laser therapy tomorrow.

KarmaKay
03-27-2017, 12:31 AM
Anemia will cause the tiredness and lethargy. Humans are tired and have no energy. I'm sure it's the same in animals, but continue to her. Prayers she's better soon.

Squirrelmaven
03-27-2017, 08:10 PM
She is now on Esbilac "Pecan Flavor" with ground up Mazuri lab block mixed in. She will nibble a grape with little interest and no solid foods yet. She take the Esbilca with no problems. Back to the vet today for more cold laser therapy and a check-up. Slight improvement with lethargy issue but nothing major. Hind quarters and tail still partially paralyzed.