PDA

View Full Version : Female Gray in Heat

Nola985
03-25-2017, 09:23 AM
I'm pretty certain about 3 days ago my girl went into heat. She is will be 2 years old this July.

Her first heat last spring was unexpected and swift (moodiness/nastiness lasted one day). She attacked me and got in 5 bites that left me with nerve damage in my hand. I had no idea what it was at the time.

Her summer heat was not as aggressive but she was moody and got in a good attack. Luckily I saw the signs and averted the previous damage; still it was a pretty bad bite.

I'm pretty sure this new round is her 3rd heat. It is almost the same time as last spring. We are going into day 4. She tolerates me walking into her room and jumps on me. She was even sweetly muking this morning but I don't dare attempt to touch her (as I was soon to find out). She was laying on my arm and I slowly went to pet her back and she turned, claws out growling and sunk in her nails. I don't think she was going to bite but just showing aggression.

Question...for those who have raised females and in your experience, how many days can this aggressiveness last? It seems with each heat, the time gets longer or is that just a coincidence? I'd even considered a bit of wilding up but the day before her temperament was polar opposite and she has been voraciously nest building the previous week. So it seems more related to a heat cycle.

Thank you.

Nola985
03-28-2017, 09:05 AM
OK I guess this isn't the place for this...

DarkLies212
03-28-2017, 09:45 AM
I've noticed my female gets a bit testy for a few weeks at a time during mating season. Sometimes lasting more than a month.

island rehabber
03-28-2017, 11:23 AM
Sorry your post got lost for a day -- busy time of year with all the babies and emergencies!
Yes, females definitely get aggressive during heat cycles and some more than others. I have a neuro non-releasable female who, only in her past two heats, got really nasty! Normally she is the mellowest little soul, but omg is she mean for 2-3 weeks in January and June!

lucygail
03-28-2017, 01:40 PM
My female is only 7 weeks, when should I expect her first cycle? Is there anything different she will need during that time?

Nola985
04-30-2017, 04:09 PM
Thank you, Island Rehabber. I was beginning to think I'd asked a foolish question.
Would you have any suggestions on how to handle her (literally) during this time frame? I don't want to stop interaction with her but since 3 bites, believe me I am super gun shy! Is staying and talking near her room enough to keep the bond? Should I don thick gloves and spend time in her room with her?

@Lucygail
My girl went through her first around the 9 month mark in late February and it (her temperament) lasted into early March. Granted, we don't know exactly when she was born but we estimate we found her around 3 weeks old. She went through her second heat a few months later in early summer. As I have read (no expert here) they go into heat 2 times yearly. Early spring and early summer for us here in the deep south. As for needes - My advice - give her all the space she needs. Believe me when I say, you will definitely want to. She will turn from the most lovable and affectionate creature to pure hate in less than a day. *Again this is only from my personal experience with my female gray. That being said, I have a friend who rescued a gray girl (4 yrs now) who has never once showed any aggressiveness ever. She has no idea that she has even had a heat cycle. And this isnt a caged squirrel. She spends day and night with her hu-mom. Go figure.:dono

DarkLies212
05-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Would you have any suggestions on how to handle her (literally) during this time frame? I don't want to stop interaction with her but since 3 bites, believe me I am super gun shy! Is staying and talking near her room enough to keep the bond? Should I don thick gloves and spend time in her room with her?

Wear thick gloves (if it doesn't scare her), thick and multiple layers of clothing, protect your face (if necessary), don't smell like any other critters, a new scent, or nuts.

Nola985
05-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Thank you, DarkLies212.

I went in today. I first tested her through the door. No growling or attach throw so I stayed outside and talked to her a bit more before abruptly entering. Mornings are usually when she is the nicest and "behaved". I took the opportunity to let her out into the great room to run and play. While she was enjoying her breakfast I decided to clean out her room and wash all her linens. OMG the amount of hoarding!!!!! I removed every nut, food, etc. I also coated the room in MY SCENT by putting my towels in place of hers, my sheet in place of hers, my shirt in her nest, etc.. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing but honestly, she seems more relaxed since its all been replaced. Such a crazy guessing game...

DarkLies212
05-03-2017, 09:03 AM
AHA!! The hoarding!! That's why she's been extra testy!! Great thinking clearing it all out because she's finally going to calm down a bit :grin2 (as much as she can during this time!)

Nola985
05-03-2017, 08:39 PM
I'm happy to report that after a few days, she seems to pretty back to her old self. Very sweet. She is still testy in the evenings but I think that has just become her nature. Some evenings she wants love and attention; others, she just prefers to ignore me. Anyway, that is better than getting bit and I am still super gun shy with her. I guess a healthy fear is a good thing. :grin2