PDA

View Full Version : Bloody stool?

Sheezus
03-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Hello, I've recieved an almost 4 week old baby (eyes still closed) three days ago with blood in his stool. It is more noticeable now that he is getting used to the formula and the stools are light in color. Any idea what it could be?

Mel1959
03-19-2017, 07:45 PM
How did you get this little guy? Was there some sort of trauma like a fall, cat or dog caught? He hasn't had any diarrhea? What are you feeding him and how often? And how much does he weigh? Do you notice any other issues...neurological or physical?
I'm sure some others will be along before long, but the more information you share about the history of your little guy, the easier it will be for someone to help. Pictures are also good.

dfcest2006
05-13-2017, 08:38 PM
How did you get this little guy? Was there some sort of trauma like a fall, cat or dog caught? He hasn't had any diarrhea? What are you feeding him and how often? And how much does he weigh? Do you notice any other issues...neurological or physical?
I'm sure some others will be along before long, but the more information you share about the history of your little guy, the easier it will be for someone to help. Pictures are also good.

mell1959
I am hoping you see this or my new thread that I will start, but I am hoping maybe you have some knowledge with this sort of thing.....
We have a flyer that is 9 months old. He has been very healthy and we have not noticed any abnormal behavior... This evening my daughter picked him up and bloody stool was on his bottom. I do not have a sample to show, but what was pictured in this original post looked similar color, but looser... He did have a slight fall the other day :( my 5 yo came in the living room not knowing Dude (the squirrel's name) was in there. Dude jumped on him and he instinctively knocked him down. Dude did not seem to be bothered and went on as normal... My daughter did inform me that she gave him greek vanilla with honey yogurt. and this is not part of his normal diet... normal diet is henry's hi protein blocks, cottage cheese and fruits veggies although all he ever wants is his blocks and cottage cheese. we have started catching beetles and he loves them..... any thoughts on what could be causing bloody stools? Any thoughts on a vet in the central florida area that could deal with a flyer?

Mel1959
05-13-2017, 09:11 PM
The knowledge I have about bloody stools is from my dwarf squirrel. He had bloody stools for awhile and it ended up being a combination of things. None of which was a fall or injury. Your little guy could have been injured or it could be a result of an upset in his diet. It doesn't seem like yogurt would do that, though. The member that has lots of flyer knowledge is Hrt4sqrls. She has owned them for years and is far more knowledgeable about them and their diet than me. You could send her a private message and see what she has to say.

As for a vet, there is an awesome squirrel knowledgeable vet in Port Orange. Her name is Dr. Alicia Emerson and she's at Ravenwood Vet Clinic 386-788-1550.

Does your little guy get mealworms? I know they are recommended for flyers, and other squirrels, too

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. I hope you can figure out what's going on with Dude.