PDA

View Full Version : Changing feed from Esbilac to Fox Valley Day one Formula

rmorgan
03-13-2017, 03:51 PM
I rescued a 3 week old squirrel about 1.5 weeks ago. This is the first time I have rescued a squirrel and have been reading a lot of the posts on the Squirrel Board and have learned a lot. I have been feeding Powdered Esbilac for puppies and Foxie is doing great. She was 72 grams when I got her and is now 132 grams. Several posts have stated that when they reached 4 weeks of age they should be fed Fox Valley Day one Formula 20/50 which arrived in the mail today. Question: would it be good to mix formulas Esbilac and Day one formula gradually switching her over or just do a straight switch?

Also, I notice that the Esbilac formula has probiotics which I do not see in the Day one formula so should I get some probiotics and if so which one?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I am trying to do my best for this precious little girl.

Nancy in New York
03-13-2017, 03:57 PM
I rescued a 3 week old squirrel about 1.5 weeks ago. This is the first time I have rescued a squirrel and have been reading a lot of the posts on the Squirrel Board and have learned a lot. I have been feeding Powdered Esbilac for puppies and Foxie is doing great. She was 72 grams when I got her and is now 132 grams. Several posts have stated that when they reached 4 weeks of age they should be fed Fox Valley Day one Formula 20/50 which arrived in the mail today. Question: would it be good to mix formulas Esbilac and Day one formula gradually switching her over or just do a straight switch?

Also, I notice that the Esbilac formula has probiotics which I do not see in the Day one formula so should I get some probiotics and if so which one?

Your help is greatly appreciated as I am trying to do my best for this precious little girl.

I think that what most are doing is feeding a 50/50 mix.
You can do this by adding 1/3 dry FV 20/50 to 2/3 dry powdered puppy Esbilac, then
add the correct amount of water typically 1 part powder to 2 parts HOT water.
Feed that for a day or two so Foxie adjusts to the 20/50 then increase it to 50/50.
She can stay on this as long as she likes.
There are some that stick right with the Esbilac until they wean, there are others that
switch them over to all FV, and most from my understanding, that keep them on the
50/50 mix.
The 20/50 Fox Valley has more fat than Esbilac and that's what older babies need.
So either switch her to ALL FV 20/50 or do the 50/50 combo.
That's what I have done in the past. :thumbsup