PDA

View Full Version : Wounded Bunny - Help Needed

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 10:40 AM
I have a wounded wild bunny coming to me in about 30 minutes, by the sounds of it the bunny was either ran over by a lawn mower or got caught by a weed eater.

Wounds are on head, back leg with a serve one on back thats about 2 inched long and 1 or 2 ml deep. I have Betadine I can dilute then flush the wound with, Neosporin to treat with and some Amoxicilin to give for any infection that might come along.

*will need some one to dose once I get weight.

Is there any thing else I should be doing for this precious bunny besides hydration and wound treatment?

*pics to follow

P.S.
*what can I give for pain..... bunny is screeching. (I have Motrin & Metacam, )

Milo's Mom
03-11-2017, 10:44 AM
NO CILLIANS FOR BUNNIES!!! :eek

You need Baytril

Milo's Mom
03-11-2017, 10:45 AM
A good/heavy dose of Metacam ASAP

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 10:45 AM
NO CILLIANS FOR BUNNIES!!! :eek

You need Baytril

OK..... Thanks
How about for Pain?

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 10:46 AM
A good/heavy dose of Metacam ASAP

Will post weight as soon as bunny arrives.

Milo's Mom
03-11-2017, 10:46 AM
OK..... Thanks
How about for Pain?

A heavy dose of Metacam...be a bit liberal with it...calm him down as fast as possible

Nancy in New York
03-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Rhapsody what strength is your Metacam?

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 10:49 AM
I dont have any Baytril on hand atm..... is there any one near Lakeland, Florida that has some or is there some thing else I can use atm?

I have SMZ at home.

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Rhapsody what strength is your Metacam?

0.5 mg/ml oral suspension

Nancy in New York
03-11-2017, 11:12 AM
0.5 mg/ml oral suspension

OK Rhapsody the 2nd Edition book strength is 3 times higher than what you have.
A loading dose with the strength that you have would be .0006
times the weight of the rabbit in grams.
From the 2nd Edition

Also note that the chart in the 3rd edition
NOW reflects the daily dose
so in order to get the loading dose, you need to double that, IF
you use the page from below. When I dosed above, that was from the
second edition for YOUR strength.
I only posted this here so you could see the dosing range in bunnies.

All subsequent doses should be half of your initial loading dose.

Somebody double check me please.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-3tN835H/0/X2/i-3tN835H-X2.jpg

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 11:15 AM
Ok..... I have a weight
130 grams

*pics are coming next

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Poor little bunny ....... the back wound is wide open and raw, the head wound has the skin pulled away from the skull.

Nancy in New York
03-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Ok..... I have a weight
130 grams

*pics are coming next

I get a dose of 0.078 for the loading dose.
Remember you have 1/3 the strength of the book recommendation at .5 mg/ml and the book doses at 1.5 mg/ml.

Rhapsody
03-11-2017, 11:49 AM
Thanks Nancy ...... I gave the Metacam, now I'm waiting for it to take affect then I will clean up the bunny's wounds.

Any thoughts on keeping the bunny warm?
Do they like it warm, hot or coolish at his age?

Milo's Mom
03-11-2017, 11:50 AM
The first flush can be with warm water, all remaining should be with saline or some other isotonic fluid.

Clean it, then keep them moist. This would be a great time for Derma-Gel, but in a pinch Neosporin will work.

No formula, just solids (hay and natural greens) and a shallow water dish.:great

Milo's Mom
03-11-2017, 11:52 AM
No extra heat unless he's shocky. He's old enough to thermoregulate on his own. Adding extra heat could promote extra bacteria growth in his gut which could throw him into stasis...stasis usually = death

Andrew
03-12-2017, 12:29 AM
This is so sad please keep posting I am thinking about this bunny. We had a bunny his name was Carrots. Had him only a few weeks before he suddenly choked was so sad. Thank God there are people like you in this world 285884
Hang in there little guy

Rhapsody
03-12-2017, 12:47 AM
I'm holding this precious little bunny in a warm piece of fleece and I'm sad to say, but I doubt he will make it through to the morning..... his sweet little body is going limp and his eyes are closing as I gentle stroke his fur with love as he eases in the next life from above that awaits him. ♡

Andrew
03-12-2017, 01:11 AM
That's heart breaking I'm so sorry. Thank you at least the baby knew you tried and loved him

Nancy in New York
03-12-2017, 07:31 AM
I'm holding this precious little bunny in a warm piece of fleece and I'm sad to say, but I doubt he will make it through to the morning..... his sweet little body is going limp and his eyes are closing as I gentle stroke his fur with love as he eases in the next life from above that awaits him. ♡

Oh Carolyn, this is heartbreaking.
I'm so glad this little one has you to
lovingly help him on his next journey, if that's his fate.

HerdofHopperz
03-24-2017, 08:01 AM
I'm so sorry ..only thing I would add to this for future reference is when they are injured they need supplemented heat .they dont moderate their tempetempersture well when injured u also dont want them. Using their energy to try to keep themselves warm instead of healing .. Thats not why this one didn't do well tho.those wounds are pretty deep. ..also I use rescue remedy right away on the wilds with xtreme cases to settle them down....I really hate getting them this bad just to watch them take their last breath...they always take a little piece of me with them .. Huge hug for all that u do :hug