PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Rehoming 2 yo Boy

MamaSquirrel
03-07-2017, 10:58 AM
Hi Guys, you have been a huge help to me in the past so I am hoping for advice. I have to rehome my 2 yo squirrel, Bailey due to issues with the living situation. I have someone who I trust immensely to take him and either keep him as an NR or, if possible, release him on her property. My question is this, is there any easy way to get him use to her without trying to bite? He isn't too bad with new people but will attack if taunted or feels threatened. I am taking all of his bedding, toys, even my blanket that he loves to attack so my scent is on it. She understands it will take time, attention, and patience. I just wonder if I am missing anything for the transition. Is there anything else I can do to make it easier on both of them? How long does it take for an older squirrel to adjust to new people and surroundings? I've only dealt with babies in this situation. I live over an hour away so frequent visits can't happen. I got him and his brother as NR's when they were 4 weeks. We thought both had suffered head injuries. His brother died and Bailey has become a healthy boy but has never tried to make any noises. That is what scared me about release as he has never made a squirrel call or even a peep. His new mom knows this and is going to be perfect for him. I feel he will be happy either as a NR or released. We always talk as she is a fellow rehabber so we will have plenty of time to discuss what is best for him, even if she does think he will be better outside. I have cried my eyes out over this but I know its for the absolute best. She is excited about getting him and I want to make sure I give her the best and the most advice I can on the transition. Please, anything you have that may help is truly welcome!!!

Lighten-Up
03-07-2017, 11:19 AM
I can offer a thought that some may think is nuts, but I seriously believe in it.

I truly believe that squirrels are highly intelligent beings that can pick up on sincerely delivered bits of information, delivered verbally or non-verbally. It would be my suggestion to honestly explain to the squirrel the situation. I'm not saying that the squirrel will understand English, but if delivered clearly and from the heart, the squirrel to a great degree will benefit from an understanding that is somehow conveyed; I do not confess to totally understand this, but have seen it so many times that they have possessed an understanding comprehension that is baffling.

It is my thought that conveying your thoughts and feelings about the move to the squirrel will be highly beneficial emotionally to it, and will help. I realize that one would have to have a resonance with the idea/concept to do this. I am just offering it.

I do wish you and Bailey the best!

MamaSquirrel
03-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Thank You and I too believe you are correct. I get told I'm nuts all the time for taking time to explain things to my animals. I talked to him though tears last night after his new mama said yes. I talk to my Shiba Inu like a child. Oh and believe me, he understands and communicates back in his own way. Animals know and understand more than we realize. I am fighting tears but I am going to try and make this easy for him. I know having squirrels around pets is bad, but him and my Shiba are best friends so this will be hard for all of us. I just hope he can bond with her as strong as he has me.

Chickenlegs
03-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Patience is the key. Sitting near Bailey, talking to him, giving him treats anytime new mama is close, don't push, no eye contact for a good little while (predator behavior), give him time to feel safe then you can begin the long bonding process, no fear (but absolutely CAUTION), no anger, remember he's lost everything, he will mourn, his new mom will be with him during that process. If he's used to a robe or sweater, his new mom should wear that whenever she's near. His personality will dictate how close he's willing to let someone new into his life. When the time comes to let him have some out of cage time, sit quietly and pay attention to him--no books or devices. Make sure he's not left alone out of his cage. He needs to know that safe place won't change. Good luck. Is there a reason he can't go to the trees if HE chooses?

MamaSquirrel
03-07-2017, 11:49 AM
It is possible he can be released but that will be up to her and him, if he chooses. She is going to let him make that decision when the time comes, possibly a few months. I can't release him from my home due to predators and people.

Lighten-Up
03-07-2017, 12:13 PM
I just hope he can bond with her as strong as he has me.

I believe your "intention" will have a lot to do with that. It sounds like the new mom you have chosen is an animal lover who is looking forward to caring for Bailey. So I feel strongly that if you can hold in your mind a loving trusting bond with the new caregiver, then I believe that in time Bailey could be very satisfied and fulfilled in the new relationship. As chickenlegs said, there may be a period of loss and grieving, but if you set your intention for Bailey to have a strong bond, prepare yourself not to be jealous if she bonds really really well. :-)

MamaSquirrel
03-07-2017, 12:37 PM
I believe your "intention" will have a lot to do with that. It sounds like the new mom you have chosen is an animal lover who is looking forward to caring for Bailey. So I feel strongly that if you can hold in your mind a loving trusting bond with the new caregiver, then I believe that in time Bailey could be very satisfied and fulfilled in the new relationship. As chickenlegs said, there may be a period of loss and grieving, but if you set your intention for Bailey to have a strong bond, prepare yourself not to be jealous if she bonds really really well. :-)

Not jealous at all. I will be extremely happy if he bonds with her as strongly as he is with me. That means I was right in choosing her. Im already feeling the loss but trying to be positive around him. I don't want him to feel my sadness and end up miserable in his new home.