PDA

View Full Version : squirrel nutrition

squirrelmama2
03-06-2017, 09:50 PM
I have a 3 yr old squirrel. I heard dry corn is not good to feed her. Is this true?

HRT4SQRLS
03-06-2017, 10:14 PM
That is 100% true. Let me get the link for the Healthy diet.

While I'm looking for that maybe you could tell us what you're feeding your friend. We would love to help. Diet for squirrels is critical.

HRT4SQRLS
03-06-2017, 10:24 PM
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Dried corn has a calcium to phosphorus ratio of 1: 13.8. The body needs to achieve a calcium : phosphorus ratio of 2:1. Foods like dried corn (and also nuts and seeds) have a huge calcium deficit. Over time, the body will attempt to balance this out. It will do this by leeching calcium from the bones. This is what causes Metabolic Bone Disease. MBD is characterized by brittle bones. As the condition progresses hind end paralysis and seizures will develop. Eventually it causes death.

If your 3 year old friend has been on a calcium deficit diet, I would recommend that you start the MBD protocol. MBD can be treated successfully with calcium supplementation.

Rhapsody
03-07-2017, 02:14 AM
This is exactly why I never feed dry corn or those cute little corn on the cob things to my outside wild squirrels either.......... they too deserve a good balance diet when I feed them.