PDA

View Full Version : Male Squirrel

rstasny
03-06-2017, 11:08 AM
I have a male squirrel about 5 months old. Should i get him fixed, he seems to be getting aggressive toward my family members whom he used to be nice to? Not sure what to do

Spanky
03-06-2017, 12:04 PM
I have a male squirrel about 5 months old. Should i get him fixed, he seems to be getting aggressive toward my family members whom he used to be nice to? Not sure what to do

No, you should not get him fixed.. it will not change a thing about his behavior. Squirrels always become aggressive at that age and he will eventually attack someone... and viciously. Please read the forums here, there are posts every week about a squirrel attacking when they had not attacked previously. Usually that happens between 5 months and 1 year of age. Healthy squirrels that are kept and not released will only tolerate 1 person, their primary care-giver. Healthy squirrels should be released... in my unwavering opinion.

Squirrels do not accept any strangers after about nine weeks of age. They won’t accept pet sitters or out-of-town visitors.
Squirrels do not adapt easily to new environments. Changing their environment can make them very fearful and aggressive or so stressed that they can have seizures and die. Re-homing a squirrel is nearly impossible.
A squirrel’s teeth grow continuously and they chew on anything—walls, woodwork, etc. Puppies chew when teething, but squirrels chew indiscriminately throughout their lives. They can’t be taught what is acceptable to chew and what is not.
Adult squirrels have razor sharp nails necessary for grasping, climbing and jumping. They do not retract like a cat’s claws—making them more damaging to furniture, drapes and human skin.
Squirrels can’t be disciplined or trained to use a litter box!
A squirrel’s behavior is unpredictable and much more instinctive than a dog or cat. They are easily frightened and more likely to turn on a known handler.