PDA

View Full Version : Need help and advice raising a baby squirrel

MrsMcDaniel78
03-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Hi! I was hoping to get some ideas and advice on what I need to do or should be doing differently to raise a baby squirrel that my husband rescued.
A little background on ILY.... She was abandoned in a tree and my husband rescued her about 2 weeks ago. Her eyes were closed, and I started her on a rehydration liquid immediately (water, salt, and sugar). After 24 hrs, she became ALOT more active and went "potty" so I switched her to puppy formula, 2-3 mL, every 4 hours.
Her eyes opened about a week ago and she is MUCH more active now than before. Here are some of my concerns: I have no idea how old she is or how much she weighs so I don't know if I'm feeding her a proper amount. Also, I live literally in the middle of nowhere so getting actual squirrel food is near impossible. So I need some at home/natural ideas for food for her. (Ordering online isn't an option right now either). She seems healthy and doesn't have any obvious problems. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! TIA!!!

Spanky
03-06-2017, 11:57 AM
Hi! I was hoping to get some ideas and advice on what I need to do or should be doing differently to raise a baby squirrel that my husband rescued.
A little background on ILY.... She was abandoned in a tree and my husband rescued her about 2 weeks ago. Her eyes were closed, and I started her on a rehydration liquid immediately (water, salt, and sugar). After 24 hrs, she became ALOT more active and went "potty" so I switched her to puppy formula, 2-3 mL, every 4 hours.
Her eyes opened about a week ago and she is MUCH more active now than before. Here are some of my concerns: I have no idea how old she is or how much she weighs so I don't know if I'm feeding her a proper amount. Also, I live literally in the middle of nowhere so getting actual squirrel food is near impossible. So I need some at home/natural ideas for food for her. (Ordering online isn't an option right now either). She seems healthy and doesn't have any obvious problems. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right! TIA!!!

They open their eyes right around 5 weeks old. That would make about 7 weeks old?

Knowing her weight is not optional, it is the only way to know she is getting fed adequately.

The ONLY "Puppy Formula" that is nutritionally balanced for a squirrel is Esbilac. Period.

At her age "natural foods" are not suitable for ensuring her nutritional needs. She'd be relying on mom's milk for another few months, so that means Esbilac (or Fox Valley 20/50 which has to be ordered on-line).

Not surprising she seems healthy but MBD is a huge threat and life threatening. It usually hits them at about 12 weeks of age if their diet is inappropriate. More info:
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?168-MBD-(Metabolic-Bone-Disease)

So if you want to do everything right:
1) Get a kitchen scale and feed by weight
2) Feed Esbilac (the powdered version) and / or Fox Valley 20/50 (there are no other options.. many of us prefer to use 50% Esbilac and 50% Fox Valley 20/50.
3) Rodent blocks are the staple of their diet, Henry's is the best:
http://www.henryspets.com/diets/
4) Healthy eating pyramid
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

If you cannot do all of this, please consider finding a rehabber. Squirrels do not make good pets.

MrsMcDaniel78
03-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Ok thanks! The good news is that the formula I have been giving her is Esbilac, but the liquid. So my next trip to town I will get the powdered. Also, at what age/weight should I get the Henry's blocks? I looked online and it says they're for adult squirrels. TIA!

Spanky
03-06-2017, 05:06 PM
Ok thanks! The good news is that the formula I have been giving her is Esbilac, but the liquid. So my next trip to town I will get the powdered. Also, at what age/weight should I get the Henry's blocks? I looked online and it says they're for adult squirrels. TIA!

You should order Henry's right away. There is a formulation for youngsters, the high protein version:
http://www.henryspets.com/hi-protein-blocks/

The block should be the first solid food given, and even after that the first thing given and nothing else until the block is eaten. they will just shred the block initially but slowly and surely will start eating it.

HRT4SQRLS
03-06-2017, 07:08 PM
MrsMcDaniel, here is a link from Henry's that has good information about baby squirrel care. It is 6 pages long.
http://www.henryspets.com/baby-squirrel-care/

You mentioned that you can't order online right now. A suitable substitute for the Henry's is a commercial rodent block that can be purchased at pet retailers. Be sure it's a rodent/rat block and not Guinea pig or hamster food. An acceptable brand is Mazuri rodent block. I would go ahead and put a block in the bin with your baby. He will play with it, shred it and pee on it. Eventually he will get the idea that it is food. I have found that if a baby gets a Mazuri block as a first food they will gladly eat it when they are older. If you introduce a block like Mazuri after other foods or Henry's they won't eat the Mazuri. The Henry's blocks are much tastier than the typical rodent blocks because they are made with pecans. The Henry's blocks are considered a supplement block. They are packed with vitamins and minerals. Because of this they are limited to 1 or 2 a day even as adults. Babies would only get one.
The Mazuri blocks don't need to be limited and can be used a a food staple. They can have all they want. After your baby is eating a block, you can start introducing healthy veggies.

Scott
03-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Please provide some pictures or contact me through a PM and I will help you. Pictures help the rehabbers.