PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

Jerri1221
02-20-2017, 07:38 PM
Hi everyone!! I finally have a few minutes to type out a quick intro. I'm from Central Florida and found my Wilbur inside our fire station. The guys had told my husband there was a baby squirrel around the station and he thought they meant outside so he recommended they leave it alone to give mom it's opportunity to move him. A few days later one of the guys sent me a photo of him inside the station so my husband stopped by to see what was going on.

It's estimated he was right under 5 weeks old when found because his eyes weren't open (around November 12, 2016). He was cold and dehydrated. A rehydration formula was given to him once he was warmed up. Within 24 hours he was sucking down puppy formula (until the squirrel formula arrived). His eyes also opened for the first time the next day. So far, his favorite foods are bananas, corn, pumpkin seeds, and acorns. He hates broccoli and will only sniff it when I give it to him.

Oh, and the best part is we've gotten so used to calling Wilbur a he (hence the name) that we only recently realized it's a she! So I'm trying to get accustomed to calling it her and instead of he.

She is kept on our screened-in porch off of our bedroom. There is also a large cage which has her food, water and nesting box. I have tons of stuff for her to climb on and around and every morning and most nights, I bring her in and let her play in the house. Her two favorite spots would be the hammock in our bedroom or the towel bar in our bathroom.

Wilbur has gotten very fat but doesn't seem to be losing weight even though I have cut down on her snacks. She gets 2-3 monkey biscuits in the morning along with vegetables and greens. I would appreciate any other tips to help with slimming her down.

I hope I attached the photos correctly.

~Jerri284867284868284869

quagmire
02-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Welcome Jerri to the board. Great pictures. There are lots of folks on here with GREAT information. They were a BIG HELP when I found Quagmire. I was told about a baby found in your station last year, when I was working at Liberty Star Plaza. I saved him and raised him for a bit then moved him along to a rehabber for release. Seems to be a yearly theme. One must wander in every year. Smaller portions would be my initial suggestion for diet. Others will chime in. Lots to read and learn about here. :grin2

HRT4SQRLS
02-20-2017, 09:32 PM
Hi Jerri
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Well, Wilbur is adorable, for sure! :grin2 She looks perfect to me. :tilt
Limit the fruit because of the sugar. What you're doing sounds good. Offering the block and greens in the morning and a limited snack later in the day is a good plan.
Unfortunately, you need to limit Wilbur's favorites. Corn, seeds and nuts aren't real healthy because they are high in phosphorus. A diet high in these causes calcium to be leached from the bones. Are the monkey biscuits the Zupreem brand?

Have you seen the Healthy diet? Here is a link..
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Again... Welcome!!!

Rhapsody
02-20-2017, 09:54 PM
Hi and Welcome to TSB. :grin2. :grin2
Check out the Nutrition section.

Jerri1221
02-21-2017, 06:00 AM
Hi Jerri
:Welcome to TheSquirrelBoard

Well, Wilbur is adorable, for sure! :grin2 She looks perfect to me. :tilt
Limit the fruit because of the sugar. What you're doing sounds good. Offering the block and greens in the morning and a limited snack later in the day is a good plan.
Unfortunately, you need to limit Wilbur's favorites. Corn, seeds and nuts aren't real healthy because they are high in phosphorus. A diet high in these causes calcium to be leached from the bones. Are the monkey biscuits the Zupreem brand?

Have you seen the Healthy diet? Here is a link..
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

Again... Welcome!!!

Yes, I have printed out the diet info and saved it to my phone so I can refer to it at the grocery store. The monkey biscuits are the Zupreem brand.

Thanks for the welcome!!

Jerri1221
02-21-2017, 06:01 AM
Hi and Welcome to TSB. :grin2. :grin2
Check out the Nutrition section.

I have printed and saved to my phone the diet info.

Thanks for the welcome!

cava
02-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Beautiful, healthy looking kids!! Thanks for sharing.:w00t