PDA

View Full Version : do squirrels remember you

masheilm
07-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I am new to this, I am a first timer, so bare with me, I found my first squirrel in February, and according to the rehabber he was only about 1 or 2 weeks old, my vet gave me the rehabbers number and she helped me a lot, taking all my calls, and believe me there was a lot, giving me advice and everything. Anyway, he has been outside coming and going for about a month now, but still very scared of other squirrels, but last thursday he didn't come home that evening. At first I didn't worry too much, because he has stayed out all night 5 or 6 times before, and we have seen him in the trees and he would just get scared and freeze up and stay there all night, but was always there the next morning, and he would sleep all day and only come out of his house maybe 1 or 2 times to eat, but anyway, I haven't seen him since thursday morning, and I am sick with worry something has happened to him. Is it normal for them to stay gone and then come back? and would he know me after this long? There is a famale in season I saw her that evening with every squirrel in the woods chasing her, is it possible he would be interested and him only 4 or 5 months old? and if he is will he come back? please reply!

susanw
07-02-2007, 05:47 PM
It is mating season here, or should have just ended. It's possible he found himself a little female. Do you put out food for him? Ours seem to come back for awhile and than stop comming, I figure they are busy building nest and finding their place in the wild. I worry about all the ones we release, but then I think that they are all happy being free.:D

Buddy'sMom
07-02-2007, 06:00 PM
When we released Buddy last fall, he also took off one time for about 4 or 5 days and we were as worried as you (my husband walked the neighborhood clling for him). Buddy showed up one morning and stayed for a few days to rest up before trying this "release thing" again. Keep putting food out. Hope you see him soon so you can stop worrying. And yes, he'll still know you -- but some of them seem to get stand offish pretty quickly, so he might not come running to you. (A mixed blessing, of course -- you want them to come to MOM, but not to think that humans are OK to run to :shakehead )
:grouphug

4skwerlz
07-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I haven't seen him since thursday morning, and I am sick with worry something has happened to him. Is it normal for them to stay gone and then come back?
As a young wild squirrel, he will have to find a territory somewhere, and probably fight for it. That's probably what he's doing. My wild squirrels frequently will be gone for a few days or a few weeks, and then show up hungry and hang around for awhile.

and would he know me after this long?
Absolutely!

There is a famale in season I saw her that evening with every squirrel in the woods chasing her, is it possible he would be interested and him only 4 or 5 months old? and if he is will he come back? please reply!
I doubt it at his age. If his testicles weren't enlarged, with darkening of the fur over them, then he probably isn't quite ready for mating.

If he can find a territory nearby, and he survives :shakehead, I really believe you will see him again. If you don't see him, it could just mean he had to go far to find his own territory. I feel for you--I always worry about my wild guys. I hope he shows up soon to ease your worry.:Love_Icon

Momma Squirrel
07-02-2007, 06:05 PM
:Welcome Masheilm glad to have you on board. Sounds like you did a great job in raising your little squirrel. Be a little patient, I think they all do this just to give us all gray hairs and lots of sleepless nights :D

What was your squirrels name, do you have have any pictures??

masheilm
07-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Hi! I am really relieved to hear that, I just feel like crying I am so overjoyed at the thought of seeing him again, and thinking he's alright. as for pictures I will have to try to figure out how to get them on here! Wish me luck!

masheilm
07-02-2007, 07:00 PM
here are pictures of my sweetie!

island rehabber
07-02-2007, 07:15 PM
He's adorable!
What he's done since going outside is very normal, especially for a male squirrel. There is something called "dispersal" whereby the males in a certain territory will spread out in order to keep the gene pool nice and mixed and not to step on each other's toes. Very often a released male will take off and not look back, so don't be surprised and don't assume the worst. On the other hand, you may see him a week from now or even three weeks from now....he may remember you, or he may acknowledge you but not let you close enough to touch him. This is all very normal, and typical. Sounds like you've done a great job with him and we're very happy to have you with us on TSB! :Welcome

TexanSquirrel
07-02-2007, 08:22 PM
:Welcome He's a cutie! You'll see him again, no worries. :)

drakkonia
07-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Wow, those pictures are some serious cute. :Welcome

Kerry
07-19-2007, 12:53 PM
I went on holiday in May and left four babies for my lovely neighbour to feed - they hated her, tried to bite her, wouldn't have their milk etc. I didn't think for a minute they would worry about who fed them as long as they got fed!! Turned out they really missed me as when I got back they were really excited and were really happy to see me!!

Not leaving babies again!!!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Dont be sad, mine have all stuck around keep baby fed well..keep his favorites ready for him.
Mine from last year I cant get near..but thats ok I get to see them from the window and I can live with that!
They never forget who loves them or where they come from.
:Love_Icon

philomycus
07-19-2007, 07:44 PM
I let Bullwinkle go 2 summers ago and he never let me touch him after the first week he was released. I think it's him when I see one squirrel who will let me get 6 feet away, the others run before that distance.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
07-20-2007, 03:29 PM
Mine act the exact same way so I am sure it is Bullwinkle.