PDA

View Full Version : Questions?

bridge01
07-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi everyone! I'm totally new to this incredible board and am very grateful to be a member! I have to agree 100% that the information I have learned through these amazing members and their forums has been priceless.

My first question is my baby "Peanut" is 2 1/2 years old and a completely "indoor" pet. I had no idea about Full Spectrum Lighting so I am running out TODAY to purchase one! About a week ago my precious begain exibiting signs of MBD (I'm totally assuming here). He sleeps constantly, won't go down any of his cage levels not even to go to his food dishes on the bottom level. He eats just fine from my hand and drinks fine and bathroom business is just fine also. Most likely you are all right in that he has a calcium deficiency. I am going to do EVERYTHING in my power to make this right and get my baby back to his happy lively loving self. Sorry to digress...my question is which 'full spectrum light' should I purchase? The pet store said they had different 'bulbs' for a light. Now I'm confused as to what temperature I need if I need a certain temperature at all.

Can anyone help me? I would appreciate any and "all" assistance I can receive as quickly as possible.

Thanks to all!
Bridge (& Peanut):thankyou

drakkonia
07-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Hi bridge, and welcome! You've come to the right place to get all of your squirrel questions answered, even some questions you didn't even know you had!

What kind of squirrel is Peanut? I'm assuming grey, but I don't know why. :rotflAnd yes, if you could tell us exactly what he eats, that would be a big help to the rehabbers and knowledgeable people here. As for the bulb, Gammas knows a lot more about them than I do, but nutz4squirls mentioned recently that UVB rays are the most important for the squirrel in order to metabolize that calcium, and that those don't come from regular bulbs or sunlight through a window. Hope this helps.

bridge01
07-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Thank you very much for the quick responses! I am purchasing the lamp and bulbs today when I get out of work along with dark green veggies, yogurt, rodent blocks, and broccoli.

My baby is a gray squirrel I had the fortune of nursing right after the 2004 hurricanes here in Florida. He is now a strapping young gorgeous permanent member of my family! There isn't anything I wouldn't do for my little man.

I feed him cherios, sweet potatoes, dried corn on the cobb, banana chips, dried berries, carrot sticks, fresh sprouts, fresh fruits, pinecones, pine nuts, branches, cuttle bone and mineral blocks, pecans, walnuts, acorns, raisins, rodent food (Kay-Tee), spring lettuce (the dark assorted stuff...not the unhealthy kind), unsalted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (very little of these), corn, hazelnuts, various veggies like green beans and sugar snap peas (his personal favorite). You name it and I've probably given him some to try.

Is there anything at all I could be missing? I hate to repeat myself but I'll do anything to keep him healthy and happy!

Thank you for your suggestions! I am open to any and all help I can get.

Bridge (& Peanut) :thankyou

Buddy'sMom
07-02-2007, 01:51 PM
:Welcome It sounds like you have already found some of the basic info.

With the lightbulbs, your squirrel doesn't require any particular temperature, since it won't be that close to him.. I think that's more important for reptiles, who can't control their temperature like mammals can. But you DO want the kind of FULL SPECTRUM type that they sell for reptiles -- make sure it includes UVB.

If he chews on the cuttlebone, that's a good source of calcium. You might also try some yogurt. Vanilla and strawberry seem to be popular flavors, especially the whipped-type. [more info in the thread Gamma said to look at ...]

And keep him contained on one level if you are able to, so he doesn't fall and hurt himself while he's getting better. :grouphug

4skwerlz
07-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Below is a summary of the info from the "Causes of Seizures" thread. Hope this helps.

MBD Treatment

From the Wildlife Rehab Center of Central Florida:
We have had very good success in treating MBD by immediately placing the patient on a regime which provides a high calcium intake. If the squirrel is old enough to eat solids, we sprinkle calcium carbonate powder liberally on all solid foods offered, avoiding offering foods high in phosphorous. We also provide a minimum of 30 minutes of sunlight [or full-spectrum light] daily. These patients should be kept in the indoor-sized cages rather than outdoor cages to minimize exercise and possible stress fractures. Be sure to check the teeth for possible overgrowth also as this often occurs as well. Over the years, we have saved dozens of squirrels that were admitted with seizures, dragging their hind legs and unable to walk. This disease is totally preventable, curable in all but the final stages, and the treatments are easily administered.

Emergency Calcium Sources for Squirrels with MBD
calcium carbonate or calcium glubonate

Good Calcium Sources (high-calcium/low-phosphorus)
molasses
collard greens
mustard spinach
papaya
turnip greens
tofu, w/calcium sulfate
parsley, fresh
beet greens
dandelion greens
Chinese cabbage
looseleaf lettuce
figs (fresh)
kale

Moderate Calcium Sources
yogurt, low-fat, plain or fruit flavored
valencia oranges
chickory
dried figs
green cabbage
watercress
endive
grapes
celery
green beans
red cabbage
crabapple
garlic
radish
swiss chard
tofu
pear
apple, with skin
pineapple
winter squash
watermelon
honeydew melon
cucumber
cherry
romaine lettuce
strawberry
broccoli
apricot

Low Calcium Foods (treats only)
brussels sprouts
cauliflower
carrots
cantaloupe
summer squash
apple, without skin
seedless raisins
almonds
pumpkin
zucchini
alfalfa sprouts
peach
asparagus
banana
sweet potatoes
walnuts
nuts of any kind

Note: The calcium in some foods, such as beans, chard, beet greens, rhubarb and spinach, contain substances (oxalates and phytates) that decrease calcium absorption. This makes these foods poor sources of calcium. The oxalate found in spinach allows only 5 percent of the calcium in spinach to be absorbed. Although dairy contains high calcium, because of their moderate phosphorus levels they are only moderately good calcium sources. Avoid pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds! They are very high in phosphorus and will cause calcium loss.

rygel1hardt
07-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi Bridge and Peanut and welcome to the squirrel board! Ok the list you sent of his diet isnt too bad but of this list what is he actually eating? Many squirrels are offered a great variety but eat very little of the good stuff instead prefering to hold out for the nuts and seeds. Also something good to feed is the rat and mouse block. It has most of what they need to be healthy but if it isnt introduced early in life most dont like it. He can also have deer antler pieces to chew they are great for keeping the teeth at the proper length and also are a good source of calcium. Good luck with restoring your much loved boy to perfect health and please keep us posted in how he is doing. Stacey

I feed him cherios, sweet potatoes, dried corn on the cobb, banana chips, dried berries, carrot sticks, fresh sprouts, fresh fruits, pinecones, pine nuts, branches, cuttle bone and mineral blocks, pecans, walnuts, acorns, raisins, rodent food (Kay-Tee), spring lettuce (the dark assorted stuff...not the unhealthy kind), unsalted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds (very little of these), corn, hazelnuts, various veggies like green beans and sugar snap peas (his personal favorite). You name it and I've probably given him some to try.

Is there anything at all I could be missing? I hate to repeat myself but I'll do anything to keep him healthy and happy!

Thank you for your suggestions! I am open to any and all help I can get.

Bridge (& Peanut) :thankyou[/QUOTE]

TexanSquirrel
07-02-2007, 03:36 PM
:Welcome Here's hoping it's not MBD!

island rehabber
07-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi bridge! :Welcome to TSB --
My suggestion is you put him on a strict MBD regime diet immediately: full-spectrum lighting as much as possible but at least 30 mins per day, and instead of water try to get him back on Esbilac formula (puppy powder form) or even Ensure for a couple of weeks. If he's thirsty enough he will drink it, and the calcium it gives him is perfect. NO sunflower seeds or peanuts for a very long time. The other solids he can have are leafy greens (kale, spinach, broccoli, chickory) sweet potato and a few nuts as a treat. The yogurt is a great idea as well -- more calcium! Keep him very quiet, make his cage a one-level deal temporarily so he can't fall and risk a fracture. Cut out all the other non-essential treats and crispy foods for now, OK? He will start to show improvement within a week or two -- not immediately, so don't get discouraged! MBD IS reversible if you stick with the diet and don't give in to that sweet boy when he begs for something else. :D

bridge01
07-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Thank you to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions! I went out yesterday after work and spent a hundred dollars buying everything I could for my little fur kid! I bought the clip on lamp and the full spectrum light (I couldn't find any with UVB...where do you find these?) and calcium blocks and cuttlebones (he loves these!) and tons and tons of foods that everyone told me to get and the calcium carbonate pills! Also I couldn't find "rodent blocks"...what are these exactly?

I prayed for a sign that my little man would be alright and when I got home yesterday, he was out of his house waiting for me! I was so excited I cried!
I took him out and loved on him until he told me he wanted to go back in his cage. Needless to say he tore into the veggies like a maniac!

I can't thank everyone enough for all your wonderful help! HUGE hugs and kisses to each and everyone one of you that responded to my distressed posting.

XOXOXOXO
Bridgette (& Peanut):thankyou

Critter_Queen
07-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Oh i'm SO glad he's going to get the help he needs and has such a loving family to care for him! :)

You can get a full spectrum light at menards, home depot, lowes, etc...they'll run about $4-8 and can be found with the other energy-efficient, spiral-type bulbs. Just look close at the package and find the one that says full spectrum on it. Mine were in the middle of all the other bulbs that look just like them but were the regular or "sunlight" bulbs. Just look for "full spectrum" and you've got the ones you need.

Another idea in the meantime is if you can get him outside in a smaller cage for some time each day. Even on a cloudy day he'll get the rays he needs. :thumbsup And a lot of squirrels like having in and out time each day...

Good luck and just listen to the advice the others posted. He'll be well in no time!

Critter_Queen
07-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Hehe, GB, we think a lot alike! :)

Secret Squirrel
07-03-2007, 09:38 AM
Rodent block is actually rodent food that comes in small blocks about the size of dice. There are many brands. Forti, L&M farms, Kaytee, Mazuri all are good and you can get it at Petsmart, Superpets, Petco or order it from Chris at "Squirrels and more" on the internet. It's in the small animal department at most pet stores.
Rodent block is corn based and has all the good vitamins your boy needs along with a healthy diet. I usually keep the rodent block in the food bowl at all times....then feed veggies 2 times a day.

Here are a few pics of the bag it comes in.