PDA

View Full Version : Having seizures

kimball063
02-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Exuse the spelling pls. My squirrel is 3yrs old. She is starting to have seizures and I have no idea why .Can someone help me pls

Nancy in New York
02-08-2017, 02:52 PM
Exuse the spelling pls. My squirrel is 3yrs old. She is starting to have seizures and I have no idea why .Can someone help me pls

Give a complete list of everything she eats.
Rub some molasses on her gums during a seizure.
It helps bring the blood sugar levels up.
Is there ANY possibility that she got into something toxic?
Does her cage have any pvc coating on it?

kimball063
02-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Her name is Chatter. Dont know if you guys remember her No her cage is fine. She eats a mixture i got from the pet shop. It has all the vitamins in it. Shes been eating it for 3yrs. Its got a mix of veggies ,fruit and nuts plus calcium blocks. She also eats walnuts pecans peanuts. I cut veggies up for her also. She got into trouble awhile back. She was electeocuted and had a seizure. Could that have anything to do with it?

TubeDriver
02-08-2017, 03:11 PM
Can you post the name of the blocks you use? They don't sound ideal, but if we can examine the ingredient list we might be better able to say for sure. Those nuts are high in phosphorus which can interfere in her body being able to absorb calcium which in turn can lead to MBD. I would cut them out of her diet completely for now.

It is possible hat she suffered some damage to her brain if she was electrocuted and that she is now more prone to seizures. Do you have any idea how many and how often these seizures occur?

Her name is Chatter. Dont know if you guys remember her No her cage is fine. She eats a mixture i got from the pet shop. It has all the vitamins in it. Shes been eating it for 3yrs. Its got a mix of veggies ,fruit and nuts plus calcium blocks. She also eats walnuts pecans peanuts. I cut veggies up for her also. She got into trouble awhile back. She was electeocuted and had a seizure. Could that have anything to do with it?

Duckman
02-08-2017, 03:21 PM
TubeDriver is on the right track, but I do suspect that the electrocution has something to do with it as well. How long ago did that happen?

Can you post the name of the blocks you use? They don't sound ideal, but if we can examine the ingredient list we might be better able to say for sure. Those nuts are high in phosphorus which can interfere in her body being able to absorb calcium which in turn can lead to MBD. I would cut them out of her diet completely for now.

It is possible hat she suffered some damage to her brain if she was electrocuted and that she is now more prone to seizures. Do you have any idea how many and how often these seizures occur?

kimball063
02-08-2017, 03:28 PM

She has had 2 after she got electrocuted about 3 weeks apart. The blocks came in with food mix. Maybe not enough in a day? I will try the no nuts.

kimball063
02-08-2017, 03:31 PM
Is there a certain brand of calcium blocks i should get? I was buying them seperate. Then i changed it

kimball063
02-08-2017, 03:34 PM
The electrocution happened about 3 months ago

TubeDriver
02-08-2017, 03:37 PM
I would say that in the short term, order some Henries Picky Eater blocks and use them to see if this helps. Without knowing the exact brand of the blocks you are currently using, it is impossible to say if they are good or not? Henries are a known variable, MANY folks here use them and they work. They are a bit more expensive than a bag of Kaytee blocks for example but I would at least try to give her Henries Picky Eater blocks several times a week and then also use rodent blocks and fresh veggies.

I think the problem with trying to supplement her diet by adding calcium blocks is that she might not eat the calcium blocks or eat enough of them. With Henries blocks, you do not really need to add additional calcium because it is baked into the block itself.

Is there a certain brand of calcium blocks i should get? I was buying them seperate. Then i changed it

Nancy in New York
02-08-2017, 03:43 PM

Please look at the healthy diet chart.
She is eating too many nuts. They are to be limited and offered only as a treat
after the good food is gone.
She needs fresh veggies limited fruits and good quality blocks.
Seizures can also be a symptom of MBD. With her history of the electrocution,
I suspect that may be the cause, but MBD is something to also consider.
Does she have any other symptoms? Is she lethargic?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

I just checked your other thread. She was electrocuted on 12/18/16, 7+ weeks ago.

OMG! My squirrel, Chatter, grabbed ahold of an electrical cord. I managed to get it out of her mouth.Worse thing I ever saw. She shook for about 1 min. I picked her up and put her in her cage. She layed down for a bit. She is up eating now. Im so worried about her!

kimball063
02-08-2017, 03:47 PM
I would say that in the short term, order some Henries Picky Eater blocks and use them to see if this helps. Without knowing the exact brand of the blocks you are currently using, it is impossible to say if they are good or not? Henries are a known variable, MANY folks here use them and they work. They are a bit more expensive than a bag of Kaytee blocks for example but I would at least try to give her Henries Picky Eater blocks several times a week and then also use rodent blocks and fresh veggies.

I think the problem with trying to supplement her diet by adding calcium blocks is that she might not eat the calcium blocks or eat enough of them. With Henries blocks, you do not really need to add additional calcium because it is
baked into the block itself. The food is called Vita Prima. Omega 3s DHA and protein. Vitamin.A D E and calcium. Energy Protein

kimball063
02-08-2017, 03:48 PM
It has the blocks in it

kimball063
02-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Please look at the healthy diet chart.
She is eating too many nuts. They are to be limited and offered only as a treat
after the good food is gone.
She needs fresh veggies limited fruits and good quality blocks.
Seizures can also be a symptom of MBD. With her history of the electrocution,
I suspect that may be the cause, but MBD is something to also consider.
Does she have any other symptoms? Is she lethargic?

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?44440-Healthy-Diet-for-Pet-Squirrels

I just checked your other thread. She was electrocuted on 12/18/16, 7+ weeks ago.

Yes she has been lethargic. Some days she stays in her cage. She comes out to eat then goes back to sleep

kimball063
02-08-2017, 04:07 PM
She gets the nuts when she is ready for bed. I didnt mean for it to sound like she gets all of those. Thats just the variety i give her. She gets like ,depending on the nut, two or three of them

TubeDriver
02-08-2017, 04:09 PM
I looked it up. It certainly does contain a LOT of stuff. It really resembles one of the types of food I feed my Deer Mice as a treat. I see lots of seeds and nuts. Although it is advertised as being healthy, it does not look all that healthy? It is also made up of lots of separate parts and squirrels are pretty clever at just eating the tasty parts and not always the healthy parts.

I think some people have used this block successfully:

http://www.kaytee.com/all-products/small-animal/forti-diet-pro-health-dental-mouse-rat

It is important to get the version that says omega 3 and probiotics on the front. He might not like this at first because it probably will not taste as good as the food you are currently using but it may be healthier. Hopefully, some other people will chime in here with suggestions!

It has the blocks in it

TubeDriver
02-08-2017, 04:30 PM
I understand. Still, 3 nuts daily may be a bit much over time. Perhaps reduce this to a single nut daily or a nut 1-3x per week as a special treat. Just to be sure that the diet is alright! :great

She gets the nuts when she is ready for bed. I didnt mean for it to sound like she gets all of those. Thats just the variety i give her. She gets like ,depending on the nut, two or three of them

kimball063
02-08-2017, 06:34 PM
I looked it up. It certainly does contain a LOT of stuff. It really resembles one of the types of food I feed my Deer Mice as a treat. I see lots of seeds and nuts. Although it is advertised as being healthy, it does not look all that healthy? It is also made up of lots of separate parts and squirrels are pretty clever at just eating the tasty parts and not always the healthy parts.

I think some people have used this block successfully:

http://www.kaytee.com/all-products/small-animal/forti-diet-pro-health-dental-mouse-rat

It is important to get the version that says omega 3 and probiotics on the front. He might not like this at first because it probably will not taste as good as the food you are currently using but it may be healthier. Hopefully, some other people will chime in here with suggestions!

That was weird. I tried to log in and it said i had the wrong password. Had to make a new one. Anyway i will try the food you said to get and differenf blocks cut down on the nuts. Thank you for your help

kimball063
02-08-2017, 06:38 PM
. I hope its not from being electrocuted??

SammysMom
02-08-2017, 09:22 PM
The fact that she was electrocuted means that she is compromised. A healthy diet is absolutely the only way to go. Please get the Henry's blocks. There is NOTHING at a pet store that even compares. Please start the protocol for MBD. It is very likely that she has at very least, the beginning of MBD due to the current diet. I am not intending to be harsh, but I do remember Chatter and I am so glad she recovered from the electrocution! I worried about Chatter for quite a while with that one.
MBD protocol is here: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?32122-MBD-Treatment

island rehabber
02-08-2017, 09:28 PM
. I hope its not from being electrocuted??

I agree with everyone above that it most likely was caused by the electrocution, but it's getting worse because of her diet. At least we have a treatment, and you know what to do. Slow and steady, and she will improve!