PDA

View Full Version : Can Frances have a piece of ferret food?

cava
02-06-2017, 09:37 AM
My husky little lady has discovered the tupperware with ferret food and got a piece today and ate it with abandon!

Then she went back for more and I took it away and we got into a little tiff. I won this one, no more ferret kibble for her!

But it's loaded with protein, ferrets are obligate carnivores just like cats. So, I guess my questions is, is it good for her, can she have it as a treat, like one a day or should I nip this in the bud right now? (Her regular diet is TSB recommended diet to a T, and they still drink FV formula daily)

Thank you.

TubeDriver
02-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Look at that cute little beggar! :grin2

I believe ferret foods will be about 40-50% protein so not a good choice for his regular diet. I don't think a small piece given 1-2x/week as a treat would be a problem. Too much protein can be hard on his kidneys and also cause GI issues but occasional use is not an issue IMHO. I probably would not give daily, more like 1-2x per week.

cava
02-06-2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks TD. Good advice. I'll probably just take it all away and hope her steel trap of a tiny brain forgets, although she keeps trying to find other things I took away long ago, so...