PDA

View Full Version : Mites!?

JoannaRust
01-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Hey guys!

I haven't been on in a while because I forgot my password, and was having difficulty resetting it. (I tried to contact the admins to no avail.)

Anyways, somebody dropped off a baby eastern grey, and Ive been caring for him. Planning on releasing after hes old enough. His eyes are now open and top teeth are beginning to show. Placing him at about 5-6 weeks. Now, hes been super itch, and scabs are forming around his shoulder blades. Further, he has rough patchy, scabby-ness on the top of his ears. These are mites, aren't they? What do I do!? Ive never encountered this before.

Other than the scabs and constant scratching, he is well. Starting to eat solids, using the restroom frequently, and getting active. (Most of the time he is still sleeping, though.)

island rehabber
01-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Hi Joanna -- sorry you had trouble getting thru to Admins. We have been working on a few glitches lately.
Those are mange mites, and they need to be treated with ivermectin (ivomec). You do one treatment, then a follow-up 10-14 days later. Loads of good info right here:

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?162-Mange

Rhapsody
01-28-2017, 01:21 PM
I have also used kitten Revolution to treat the mites here in Florida and it has worked for my squirrels....... generally it just takes 1 drop between the shoulder blades to treat and cure the mange mites, some cases require a second treatment in a month.

SammysMom
01-28-2017, 06:36 PM
I have had terrific luck with Revolution and would highly recommend it. Good luck with that little doll! :Love_Icon

JoannaRust
01-28-2017, 11:15 PM
Hey guys... so I contacted Judy from st. Pete... she's going to help me treat Buster. But... I have another problem. I've been itching. And I have a nasty looking rash. Before I realized that buster had muted. I would put him in my lap and let him sleep on me.

I'm going to post a picture... do I have mites!? What the heck am I supposed to do now!? Should I not be handling buster at all? 283854

JoannaRust
01-28-2017, 11:16 PM

JoannaRust
01-28-2017, 11:20 PM
Now I'm wondering if after I treat buster will I give it to him again? I cleaned all bedding, floors, etc.

Omg do I have scabies? Haha that's disgusting

Rhapsody
01-28-2017, 11:36 PM
It's very possible by the pics you posted that mites have transferred over to your skin...... I would suggest you call your doctor to see about getting a Rx for mite treatment.

island rehabber
01-29-2017, 06:54 AM
Now I'm wondering if after I treat buster will I give it to him again? I cleaned all bedding, floors, etc.

Omg do I have scabies? Haha that's disgusting

Yep, you do....the good news is that it's very treatable so get you to the doc ASAP, ok? Good luck!

JoannaRust
01-29-2017, 10:36 AM
Gahh... well in going to see if it clears up and then I'll head to the dr.

I've decided to give buster to Judy because I'm too busy... nice to see some of your familiar names again! Until next time somebody has a baby squirrel.