PDA

View Full Version : Q Re: A Very Small Squirrel

Squeekhart
01-17-2017, 11:02 PM
I live very near a small park with squirrels I visit daily. They are wild. But they come when I call, for I oft bear BooBalls or nuts in winter.

One tiny squirrel was born in September. I used to see him high in the treetops, unwilling to come down. The little smarty knew he must be an observer before ever touching earth. It gave me a quiet thrill to catch a glimpse, for he was quite wae.

Then, on 8th November, he came down for the first time. I have a photo attached (sorry my pics are blurry! But the maple leaves around him are only medium sized. That should put perspective on how little he was.). There he was, sitting like a toddler with scrawny haunches, attempting to nibble frailly at some sort of woodchip. He looked undernourished and fragile, as it he ought to still be nursing. I suspect his mother died, and he was probably only about 2 months?

My heart went out to him. He was too wae to be out without a Mama so early. I began ordering ingredients to make BooBalls at that point.

When it rained, he was the only squirrel whose fur was partly wet. The larger greys bully and chase him when I bring treats. I have to be careful to time it all, so that either he spots me first, or else I have everyone occupied and fed so they don't notice that he is getting something.

OK. Question: Are there ever tiny squirrels?

I worry, for he is still only about 1/3 the size of an adult squirrel. The other juvies born in September are close to twice his size. I am shocked at how tiny he has remained.

I read up at the Board on dwarfism, but my lil boy has a normal shaped face and his ears do point up like a healthy squirrel's.

Is his tiny size due to stunted growth from not getting enough nursing or food? Is there a condition

I want to help him badly, but he is wild.

Chickenlegs
01-18-2017, 12:37 AM
He may just be small and if he is, your care will absolutely make a big difference as getting enough to eat could be problematic. If he seems to be in trouble I guess you could trap and bring him in but he's wild and that could be stressful. Feed, feed, feed. That's surely going to make a biiiig difference to a tiny guy.

redwuff
01-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Hi Squeekhart

Welcome to TSB. Thanks for helping this little one. You are making a difference to him. This is a very tough time for these new juevies. The acorns were not very prolific in this area this year.

Have you been able to see where he nests? Wonder if there is any way to provide a nest box for him? Does he have a name?

island rehabber
01-18-2017, 07:24 AM
There were a LOT of September and even early October babies this year in the mid-Atlantic. I have two overwintering with me now who must have been born in late September -- they are barely 4 months old now and not big and fluffy like the guys outside. Last year I had two overwinters who were late babies and very much as you describe your little guy: small and scrawny. (I nicknamed them "The Gerbils" :grin2) As Chickenlegs said, providing quality food to him as you're doing is the very best way to get him through this winter. However, should you see him failing, you could take him in for some R&R. Sometimes when they are truly suffering out there they welcome the help, especially as young as he is. Keep a close watch. :great

TubeDriver
01-18-2017, 07:32 AM
I have seen a few wild "runts" that sound similar to your little fellow. I provided almonds, blocks and they grew up to be normal sized squirrels although on the small side. A boo ball or two may make all the difference and let him get stronger and bigger.:clap

I have a little black squirrel that is significantly smaller than everyone else, he is relentlessly chased and bullied by all my other yard squirrels.:( He is so timid that he rarely comes up to my deck to get a treat and so shy that he often runs off before I can feed him. He has taken treats from us a few times so I hope he will get a little bolder. But he is still around and he is slowly putting on weight.:w00t

Mel1959
01-18-2017, 09:35 AM
What you are doing will make a lot of difference in this little ones growth and development. Keeping the other more aggressive squirrels occupied while you offer food to your little one will ensure he gets some needed nutrition. The boo balls you are making are great. If you would like to,purchase some nutritious squirrel blocks you can go to www.henryshealthypets.com and order some hi protein blocks for young squirrels. Henry's also sells the vitamins and protein powder for boo balls with one flat shipping charge. Keep up the good work. :highfive:highfive

Squeekhart
01-19-2017, 04:43 PM
I am thankful for the collective care, input, and encouragement. It helps a lot!

I did not know that Tiny Squirrels exist without some sad medical issue, and that they can indeed grow up all right. *relief*

I forgot to include a picture, and I apologize in advance for my photos are not very clear or up close.

Nesting Box is a No, sadly. It is not my property and already someone keeps confiscating any small ceramic dishes I try to hide under shrubs with BooBalls overnight. (Even if I did put one up, I am quite sure a much larger, expecting female would win the battle for the best winterhome. I did daydream of having a budget and a winning community campaign: A NestBox In Every Tree! No Squirrels In The Attic. If folks understood them, they would put a nesting box or two up. It might deter attic damage, and they would get a sweet Nature Channel going on in their own yard.)

Name. I wanted to give him a svelte name that any grown male squirrel would be proud to don. But I keep hearing myself call him "Squeet!" O dear. I try to think of him as Stuart, to give him some dignity. Heek. But when I see him, he is too diminutively cute. You may call him either.

Diet: When I saw him so frail in November, I rushed to research formulas and foods. I ended up ordering Fox Formula 20-50 to make BooBalls with. (What a tangled web: Varieties of Esbilac and No 20-50 to pinkies. I deduced that in December, no pinkies would be ingesting BooBalls. Everyone was furred. I read somewhere that the formula is digestible if it is heated. So when I make BooBalls, I very gently heat the organic fruit baby food with coconut oil, then whisk the formula powder in till the whole mixture is fluffy and creamy, at a low, low slight heat. I don't want to cook the nutrition away. They seem to like them and I don't think anyone has suffered by them.)

I feel encouraged and now I feel hope for the littlest squirrel in the park. I actually pray and ask God to make him strong and plush and svelte so that he can have children. Thank you again, Everyone, for reassuring me and for sharing your wisdom and care.

The bottom photo is from November 8th. Some of the Maple Leaves looked larger than Stuart. They are not even large sized Maple leaves.

HRT4SQRLS
01-19-2017, 06:45 PM
Oh my goodness Squeekhart.
He looks barely more than a baby. He really does need your help to survive. At his size/age I doubt he can forage for all that he needs. Keep giving him the booballs and he will have better chance of surviving. Poor little guy. Thanks for helping him. :grouphug

Mel1959
01-19-2017, 07:26 PM
Thank you for all that you are doing for Stuart. It WILL make a difference. I know how anxious you must feel as you are dealing with him and all the other outside influences....squirrels included! I'm sure that he knows you are looking out for him and is reassured by you doing so. Keep up the great work! :grin3

Nancy in New York
01-19-2017, 08:51 PM
Thank you for helping this little one.
When was the top photo taken.
I'm shocked that a little one (so tiny as in the
second photo) could even survive. I'm sure you
played a HUGE part in that! :w00t

TubeDriver
01-19-2017, 09:08 PM
I would definitely order some Henry's Wild bites. He will need some extra help to make it through the winter. Poor little guy. :(

At least he has a friend looking out for him!:great

Squeekhart
01-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Thank you for helping this little one.
When was the top photo taken.
I'm shocked that a little one (so tiny as in the
second photo) could even survive. I'm sure you
played a HUGE part in that! :w00t

O dear.
The Top Photo is from December 15th. The bottom photo, the first time I saw him on the ground, not high in the tree tops, gazing down to observe, was November 4th. ... (I remember now. Um. My brother died suddenly on October 17th. I had to be on a plane to Honolulu on the 9th of November and was gone till December 6th. And oh. I love him and we were close. At any rate. Just a few days before that necessary long trip, there was teeny Stuart, all alone and frail. I am not experienced as you are, but I had tears and wanted to be his Squammie. It was very hard to leave Stuart. I am a person of prayer (without being obnoxious), and I have prayed that he would defy odds and that God would watch over him and somehow cause him to thrive anyway. It would seem that thus far, God has watched over him. The only thing I could do, when I got back, was to find where he tends to emerge, and do whatever I have to do to try to ensure he gets a walnut and some BooBalls. (I am ordering Calcium Citrate to sprinkle in, as I have been taking them a walnut each day. They seem to crave them in winter more than anything else. I leave out diced avocado, pomegranate wedges, blanched broccoli trees, arugula, cranberries. The only real hit aside from BooBalls and nuts are the avocado. I have no idea if Stuart gets any of this, but I am trying to feed them all so that there is more food available to him.) Gosh, was I relieved to find him still alive in the park when I returned after nearly a month away.

I would totally bring him home and overwinter him (though at the moment our weather is in a warm streak) and give him diluted formula along with Henry's bites; but I suspect he is too independent and wild to appreciate that. I am open to whatever is going to help Stuart obtain a healthy and happy future.

Squeekhart
01-19-2017, 09:37 PM
I would definitely order some Henry's Wild bites. He will need some extra help to make it through the winter. Poor little guy. :(

At least he has a friend looking out for him!:great

Something fierce and tender in me wants to help Stuart in any way I can. I can't help them all! But maybe just this one? I will order the Henry's Wild Bites and I will do whatever you squages (hee, squirrel sages) think will help strengthen him for a best outlook. <Squeet~~~~:Love_Icon

Squeekhart
01-19-2017, 09:47 PM
There were a LOT of September and even early October babies this year in the mid-Atlantic. I have two overwintering with me now who must have been born in late September -- they are barely 4 months old now and not big and fluffy like the guys outside. Last year I had two overwinters who were late babies and very much as you describe your little guy: small and scrawny. (I nicknamed them "The Gerbils" :grin2) As Chickenlegs said, providing quality food to him as you're doing is the very best way to get him through this winter. However, should you see him failing, you could take him in for some R&R. Sometimes when they are truly suffering out there they welcome the help, especially as young as he is. Keep a close watch. :great

I was wondering if you have any photos or posts about "The Gerbils"? :grin2 I hope they are doing well now.

TubeDriver
01-19-2017, 10:44 PM
That feeling in your heart.....that is squirrel magic! :) Once it works into your heart, you will never view the world in quite the same way!

I hope your friend makes it through the winter! I know that getting some nutrious blocks will make a big difference and give him time to catch up and get strong.:great

Something fierce and tender in me wants to help Stuart in any way I can. I can't help them all! But maybe just this one? I will order the Henry's Wild Bites and I will do whatever you squages (hee, squirrel sages) think will help strengthen him for a best outlook. <Squeet~~~~:Love_Icon

Chickenlegs
01-20-2017, 12:29 AM
That is one squishy face precious little squirrel. Need more close up pix. In one his face looks like a little downs baby but he wouldn't have made it this long if he was--and he looks teeny but normal in the other pix. :klunk:klunk

Mel1959
01-20-2017, 11:35 PM
Any news?? Hope Stuart is doing ok. :Love_Icon

Squeekhart
01-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Any news?? Hope Stuart is doing ok. :Love_Icon

Sorry I have delayed responding! (A lot on my plate, family-wise. The park Squirrels are a comforting diversion.)

Thank you for the concerns about my park squirrel Stuart. I think he is all right. I think I fed him two days ago. "You think?!"

An earlier comment that the 2 squirrels in the photos look like different squirrels had me in a pretzel. I am typically astute in detail observations, but I suspect those ARE two different squirrels. Here is why. The squirrels are all growing... some quickly, some slowly. Stuart has been nesting with 2 other juvies that are small, though they are notably larger than he is. Stuart typically is the last one to emerge to be fed, partly because everyone tends to chase him away if he tries to get fed. :sadness

There have been a few times when a small squirrel emerges late for food and I have thought it might be Stuart, growing finally! Until, ten minutes later, a seriously tiny squirrel with a very grey face and high pert ears and a scraggly tail whose furs were pulled out emerges and I am startled anew at how small Stuart actually is. So. I feel remiss and dense to admit it, but I have mistaken him a few times. Once he does appear, it is startling that he is no contest the littlest one.

The bottom photo IS Stuart. The other one is one of the two he is nesting with.

I did see Stuart last night. I keep trying to get photos of him but they are far away and blurry. Last night, it got dark early. It was not even 5pm. I arrived too late. I probably ought not encourage them to come down after dark, but I stupidly crooned to them anyway.

There are few things more delightful than seeing firsthand a thing of nature that you typically only see on film. The park light came on, and it was light enough to be able to see up, up, in the large tree. Suddenly, I saw a momentary tail sighting 20 feet up. Then, the tiny face. Cozy and nested, simply poking out to see the disturbance. After a moment, shuffle shuffle, a seriously tiny sillouette of Stuart pattered out and up, along the highest branch, as is his wont. There he was, 30 feet up, inspecting me. The littlest squirrel peering down as I crooned. I could almost sense the unspoken conversation: "Mom! What are you DOING! It got dark. I've been preening. I am fluffed for sleep. It is too late to eat a walnut. And it is DARK. You can't get me to come down." He peered for a good 20 seconds. Then he scampered back to his safe knoll.

I was proud that he knows what to do. I will not try to coax them again after dark, even when it is only 5pm.

I will keep trying to get better pictures. Thank you for caring about Stuart. ... He seems to have changed trees. Due to crows. I think he is safer and less accessible in the new tree.

Mel1959
01-22-2017, 08:41 PM
What a great update! I am glad to hear Stuart is doing well. You are doing a great job looking out for him. I'm sure all the extra help will have him growing in no time....at least I hope so. My wild squirrels like the Wild Bites blocks I get from Henrys Healthy Pets. They smell (so I assume taste) like peanuts but have lots of concentrated nutrition in them. Keep us posted on Stuart's progress. :serene

Squeekhart
01-22-2017, 08:43 PM
That is one squishy face precious little squirrel. Need more close up pix. In one his face looks like a little downs baby but he wouldn't have made it this long if he was--and he looks teeny but normal in the other pix. :klunk:klunk

Sorry to make such a delayed response. I am really grateful for the care and interest and helps.

I just posted (below? above?) that I think you are right and these pictures are of two different squirrels, Stuart being the tiny tiny one. (He is very grey, not tawny.) It is embarrassing to make such a mistake, but I will own that ... partly the hope that he is growing... and partly there are 2 other juvies he shares a drey with now, and they are also small. Stuart emerges last. Every so often, I think I am feeding Stuart when suddenly, Stuart makes a late, late appearance and every time, I am startled at how much smaller he actually is than the other smaller squirrel. ACK. Usually, I am detailed at observation.

Stuart has made it thus far. He is still surprisingly diminutive, and a good third smaller than the other small juvie.

** Re: Downs:

3 days ago, with one of the tawny smaller juvies (it did look like the one in the top photo, but more grown as that photo was over a month ago): It was not acting right. I had never seen this before in any of my park squirrels. I tossed a walnut, which was picked up, tasted, and then tossed aside. The squirrel peered as if to say, "Where is the food???"

I tossed a pecan 5" from this one. (I forget if it is boy or girl.)

This squirrel seemed to not be aware that nuts were within inches of him/her. It rejected a nice walnut. When I finally gave an almond, he/she grabbed that and hungrily nibbled.

I got the feeling it was clueless. I don't know if it could not see or hear or why it is there was no reaction to the pecan or hazelnut at all, or why the fresh walnut was rejected. I hope it is all right.

Everyone else in the tiny visitor center block seems fine. I count at least 2 quite preggy expecting mamas, at least one young couple madly courting today. And to my joy, Blackie 3 made an appearance. (I felt badly as there was only 1 family of Blackies, and i had not seen either of the young survivors in close to 2 weeks.)

SammysMom
01-22-2017, 08:43 PM
Does his face still have that sort of rounded look in silhouette?

Squeekhart
01-22-2017, 09:15 PM
Does his face still have that sort of rounded look in silhouette?

I feel dense, but... you refer to the top picture or the bottom one of Stuart?

The tawny squirrel that was not recognizing nuts and which resembles the top photo but a month older does not have a thin or long or pointy face (sorry! I am new to looking for variations that would be a sign of not normal development.) This squirrel was fluffy, and its tail was on the short side. It seemed very sweet and clueless and a bit slow. I was a tad concerned.

I am not sure what constitutes a rounded face sillhouette compared to normal. (Stuart has a pointier, longer face.)

I am going to make a special effort to keep an eye swiveled for this other squirrel. (I am reading the section on Downs.)

SammysMom
01-22-2017, 09:47 PM
The second pic was the one i meant, but stuart likely grew out of the rounded face. Thank you for your love and care for them. :Love_Icon

Mel1959
01-23-2017, 07:28 AM
I feel dense, but... you refer to the top picture or the bottom one of Stuart?

The tawny squirrel that was not recognizing nuts and which resembles the top photo but a month older does not have a thin or long or pointy face (sorry! I am new to looking for variations that would be a sign of not normal development.) This squirrel was fluffy, and its tail was on the short side. It seemed very sweet and clueless and a bit slow. I was a tad concerned.

I am not sure what constitutes a rounded face sillhouette compared to normal. (Stuart has a pointier, longer face.)

I am going to make a special effort to keep an eye swiveled for this other squirrel. (I am reading the section on Downs.)

Yes, it sounds as though the squirrel that seemed "clueless and a bit slow" could possibly be a dwarf or have some of the genetic traits. Dwarfs have varying degrees of inabilities, so this one could be a very high functioning dwarf or could just be a very slow, late to mature baby. As you've probably read in the section on "Down's", they have some fairly distinct physical characteristics (i.e. Rounded nose, shorter tail, fluffier fur, inability to run in the same way as other squirrels) and are notoriously picky eaters. Mine won't even eat a nut!

Bless you for keeping a watch on these special park squirrels. :hug